EVGA Hadron "SS Wingin' It" (Update 2/26/14)

Current Progress
AWM1AUwl.jpg
Parts
EVGA Hadron (Purchased - $140AR)
Core i5-4670K (Purchased - $165)
Asus Z87E-ITX (Purchased - $105)

Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x8GB DDR3 1866 (Purchased - $120)
EVGA GTX 760 SC (Purchased - $215)
Corsair H100i
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB (Purchased - $55)
Toshiba 1TB (Already owned, removed from External Enclosure)
Future Upgrades

• TT eSports Poseidon Keyboard
  • Steelseries V2 or G430 or Corsair 1500 v2 or Kraken Pro
  • Logitech G700s
  • Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB to run Raid 0
  • 3-4 TB 3.5" HDD (if I can find the space)

Purpose

1) Running Linux and perhaps playing World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2
2) Getting my hands dirty and trying first modding. DREMEL TIME

Why I Chose the EVGA Hadron
EkpnOF6l.jpg

I removed the front panel and the drive bays. MORE SPACE!

RFw7yuc.jpg

Then I cut the front mounts for the power button off with a dremel.
aMO832A.jpg

I'm kind of mocking it up without all my components here yet.
mMZ1KDf.jpg

Now I'm in the process of cutting out the fan holes. There are two plates at the bottom so have to cut through both one at a time.
F4wRIJR.jpg
NtwgoBq.jpg
I have roughly cut out the holes for the bottom, now just grinding down to smooth out the surface.
zHGxt7n.jpg
KZj9HXj.jpg

PSU Sleeving Time!!!

I wouldn't be winging it on a nearly $200 case :D.  

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I wouldn't be winging it on a nearly $200 case :D.  

:D The only reason I bought it was because it was $140 after rebate. Thought it was ok for that price point. 

Kudo's for jumping in with both feet :)

where is the psu going to fit?

rubber mounts should be find to hold it all together

The PSU is going to be mounted vertically behind the front panel. I'm not sure what is an elegant solution. I don't know what the brackets that are u with like wings/flanges are called? I just google U bracket with wings

Hold-Down-Bracket.JPG

Otherwise I'm just going to use some mounting tape rated for 20lbs, the PSU weighs 2.8 so I think it should be ok even with weakening over heat. If there if a viable bracket solution I'm all for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I finally got my paracord and sleeving tools (bought only one sided molex extractor tool so it's time to ghetto rig some paperclips)

I'm excited as this is the first time I'm sleeving. (Heatshrinkless)

It is amateur sleeving time!

uzPedOfl.jpg

Love this color

lakWeDal.jpg

thse4rAl.jpg

Stapler Method!

nGKaAotl.jpg

looks awesome. Cannot wait for finished product.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

So far so good, man! I can't wait to see your project finished in all of its glory! :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Wow that box is seriously damaged.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (mATX) RAM : 3GB GPU : Asus Radeon HD 4670 Case : Generic mATX Case Storage: Crucial M500 240 GB & WD Blue 500GB PSU: 420W

Looking good, how did that motherboard hold up? 

i5-4570 I CM Hyper 212 Evo I Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM I Asus H87M-Pro I MSI R9-280X Twin Frozr I
Plextor M5S 128GB SSD I WD Blue 500GB HDDVantec Voltra 550W I Antec GX700 Modded

Looking good, how did that motherboard hold up? 

It seems to be ok there doesn't seem to be any visible damage. I won't be able to make sure until my ram arrives monday. 

Current Update

As with all builds, something is bound to go wrong. Found out one of my Vengeance Pro Dimms was not working so had to send it in for a RMA. 

Ordered two twin packs of SP120 HPE (I will use the 7V adapter). Area got hit by ice storm so without power for one day and internet has been down for two days. (Currently hotspotting)

Hopefully internet comes back by tomorrow and I can get to installing Antergos! (I'm excited because I have no idea how to use Linux).

I'm not using my Noctua NH-L12 because I'm waiting for my RAM to arrive since they have to go in first. 

Cannibalized my portable drive to put into the computer. 

rlJdibnl.jpg

Can't wait to see how this ends up. I really love that case and was thinking about doing my first build in it but decided to opt for something easier to build in.

hi,

i wonder if the NH-L12 plays nice with the FM2A88x-ITX+. right now i am looking at pictures here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1261-page3.html

there is not much space between the NH-L12 and the RAM.

It fits perfectly fine. I tested that board with the NH-L12. You have to push the lower 92mm all the way back and it will not contact your RAM. Make sure that you have the correct clearance. I believe it is 43mm. You can check here.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=46&lng=en

However there are components on the back of the motherboard. All you have to do is use the "no backplate" items from the intel kit (it is just like 4 pieces) and use the rest of the AMD kit. I was also concerned about the pressure it would place so I got some larger fiber washers from home depot. It was like $1.38 for 6.

Love it.

post-37251-0-26798300-1392865396.gif

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

looks good, Any updates?

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850