External CPU temp monitor?

trunami

Recently I have been noticing a few things on different builds. Some of them have a temperature monitor on their motherboard. It’s a simple analog style monitor with 2 digits, and it looks really useful. However, I can’t find it anywhere and if anyone knows what it is called, it would be great if you can fill me in.

also, sorry if I posted in the wrong board, I’m still kinda new.

Are you talking about the debug displays that use two (generally) 7-segment displays? When turning the PC on, it Will cycle through different codes and if there is an error, it will show up as a POST code. Some of them also show CPU temperature. Mine would show the CPU temperature if that feature actually worked on my motherboard.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

I had a case that had a thermal probe that you could install on the side of the CPU's IHS to read temps. Not too sure how that would work with intel's dubious socket designs.

2 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Are you talking about the debug displays that use two (generally) 7-segment displays? When turning the PC on, it Will cycle through different codes and if there is an error, it will show up as a POST code. Some of them also show CPU temperature. Mine would show the CPU temperature if that feature actually worked on my motherboard.

Yeah, one of those. Do you know where to get them (and if they all have temperature monitors)?

1 minute ago, trunami said:

Yeah, one of those. Do you know where to get them (and if they all have temperature monitors)?

they come with the motherboard, most mid-high end boards come with them. There should be a bios option.

EVGA can do, so can asus (i think). gigabyte might or might not.