graphics card in win server '16

I have windows server 2016 running on some desktop hardware and I want to install a radeon rx 460 graphics card. I want to use the card with Boinc and other types of graphics processing.

I downloaded the windows 10 drivers, which a google search said should have worked, and I've turned on graphical acceleration (I believe it's turned on). Do I have to install and turn on everything directly using the server or does remote desktop work too? I am sure that the card and slot work, I have the display going through it ATM.

This is my first time really build a server so I don't really know how things work yet.

Why did you use Server 2016? If you were expecting a good experience using non-server grade hardware, you are probably in for a lot of headaches. If you want a "clean" version of Windows 10, try out LTSC instead. You will have a lot less issues when it comes to drivers and software.

Remote desktop doesn't really have anything to do with your graphics card. You will need to enable it like normal or assign a group access if you are on a domain.

I had the spare parts and was able to get win server for really cheap, I didn't want to invest too much. It still runs better then the server where I work.

I'm not on a domain. How do I enable it? I'm a complete noob at this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, lloose said:

Why did you use Server 2016? If you were expecting a good experience using non-server grade hardware, you are probably in for a lot of headaches. If you want a "clean" version of Windows 10, try out LTSC instead. You will have a lot less issues when it comes to drivers and software.

Remote desktop doesn't really have anything to do with your graphics card. You will need to enable it like normal or assign a group access if you are on a domain.

So what I did was install the AMD suite for the card meant for windows 10 and after it installed the OS saw it and configured it for use and BOINC saw it right off the bat, I didn't need to do anything with that.