Help Needed with Windows 10 File Explorer Search Tool Bar

Boomwebsearch

The search function stopped working properly yesterday and it takes almost forever to search for a file using the file explorer search bar assuming that it works, sometimes the loading bar for the search does not even start to load when searching in larger folders and takes a unreasonable amount time to find one item by name in a folder of around 5 or 6 items. I have had my hard drive optimized using the optimize drives utility in Windows 10 and used the check disk function today to check for errors. I have not been successful in finding how to fix this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated. -thanks

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Check if you have indexing service started and checked box in drive properties. Probably that "optimizer" (if it's some 3rd party tool) disables that. Also check default search parameters.

6 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Check if you have indexing service started and checked box in drive properties. Probably that "optimizer" (if it's some 3rd party tool) disables that. Also check default search parameters.

Thanks for the reply, the "optimizer" is the built in on with the OS of Windows 10 and is for fragmentation of drives to optimize. I checked the default search parameters and that the indexing service is checked in drive properties although the problem is still present.

@Boomwebsearch 

And what about services? Is indexing service started and automatic?

You can try rebuild indexing by disable / enable box in properties.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And what about services? Is indexing service started and automatic?

You can try rebuild indexing by disable / enable box in properties.

Yes, the process for "windows search" is started and automatic. When I try to open "Indexing Options" it shows the error that it is "waiting to receive indexing status" and the only button is the advanced, when I select it the program freezes up and the only way to close is through task manager. I will include an image of this error problem message received with trying to open Indexing Options.

e72b3520-9c50-460a-82ca-0c77a832e67d.png

@Boomwebsearch 

14 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, after this process completes, will I be notified and is it okay to shutdown during the rebuild process? Also, will the indexing options screen be working again after I use option three to reset and rebuild the file index?

@Boomwebsearch 

58 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Thanks for the suggestion, after this process completes, will I be notified and is it okay to shutdown during the rebuild process? Also, will the indexing options screen be working again after I use option three to reset and rebuild the file index?

Don't know, you must try. I mostly using other solutions than explorer search.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Don't know, you must try. I mostly using other solutions than explorer search.

16 hours ago, homeap5 said:

3rd option.

Thanks for the help. I disabled "Windows Search" in services list and that switched off the use of indexing, the searches work reasonably fast although the Windows Cortana Search bar wont be able to search for files since it is disabled. I think that I will create a system restoration image on a external hard drive and then try to reset and rebuilt the index eventually later on, although for the temporary moment the solution of disabling Windows search seems acceptable for me. Really hope that this does get patched in the future so that other users don't have to deal with the issue and that they make it less likely for the search index to get corrupt, although until then the methods of repair work such as by disabling the search service or by using another of the methods shown on the linked site (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/58569-rebuild-search-index-windows-10-a.html).

Will keep you posted on the issue if needed in the future, thanks again @Boomwebsearch

@Boomwebsearch