Air Cooler for pc case that has clearance of 163mm

BollyWood401

I have a mid tower case, I’ve been reading everywhere that the dark rock pro 4 is pretty tall, should I worry?

You can usually find the maximum height of tower coolers on the technical specification section of the webpage for your case. Directly compare that to the listed height of the DRP4, and you'll have your answer.

The 275Q, for example, has a max height of 170mm
KZAk8Xp.png

The DRP4 has listed dimensions of [L x W x H] of [145.7 x 136 x 162.8]

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 minutes ago, BollyWood401 said:

A FSP cmt520 E-ATX

looks like your max height will be 163mm, meaning you're cutting it very close with a DRP4 (0.2mm), and your mileage may vary.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

13 minutes ago, Semper said:

You can usually find the maximum height of tower coolers on the technical specification section of the webpage for your case. Directly compare that to the listed height of the DRP4, and you'll have your answer.

The 275Q, for example, has a max height of 170mm
KZAk8Xp.png

The DRP4 has listed dimensions of [L x W x H] of [145.7 x 136 x 162.8]

Okay so I found that my max height of the case is 163mm, will I be kinda pushing it?

3 minutes ago, BollyWood401 said:

Okay so I found that my max height of the case is 163mm, will I be kinda pushing it?

Your mileage may vary. Theoretically, yes it fits, but manufacturing tolerances aren't perfect, and 0.2mm is less than I'd like to play with considering you've got a glass panel it'd be butted up against. I can't give you a direct answer here.

3 hours ago, Semper said:

Your mileage may vary. Theoretically, yes it fits, but manufacturing tolerances aren't perfect, and 0.2mm is less than I'd like to play with considering you've got a glass panel it'd be butted up against. I can't give you a direct answer here.

I’m trying to cool an i7 9700k, do you happen to have any air coolers you would recommend that aren’t so big ? I also have a msi z370 gaming plus motherboard. 

I’m looking for the best air cooler that has is shorter than 163mm. I’m going crazy trying to find good air coolers that aren’t too tall. As said before my case only supports up to 163mm and I’m trying to cool an i7 9700k, I would like to find something quite and that performs very well.

1 minute ago, BollyWood401 said:

How much clearance matters? I notice that the Noctua is at 160mm, will I be pushing it if I choose this one for my case that’s at 163mm?

It'll probably be touching the side of the case or very very close to it, but the dark rock pro 4 is one of the two best coolers on the market. The other best cooler is 165mm and isn't available at the moment.

The noctua cooler I linked is also really good, but I can't remember how close it is to the dark rock pro 4 (the 163mm one).

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

If you really want the DRP4, I would contact the case manufacturer and inquire. I'll bet you will be fine, but it will right up against the glass. You have a lot of good choices, though. The new Noctua NH-U12A would be a great choice (I wonder if it is replacing the D15s). You could use one of the Cryorig H7 models or the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Maybe a downfiring cooler like the be quiet! DARK ROCK TF.

45 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

If you really want the DRP4, I would contact the case manufacturer and inquire. I'll bet you will be fine, but it will right up against the glass. You have a lot of good choices, though. The new Noctua NH-U12A would be a great choice (I wonder if it is replacing the D15s). You could use one of the Cryorig H7 models or the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Maybe a downfiring cooler like the be quiet! DARK ROCK TF.

Hey man thanks for the response I literally just saw the NH-U12A Yesterday so that is what im definitely going with! Quick question, I’m about to use an i7 9700k with my msi z370 gaming plus motherboard, I know I have to update the bios to use it but will the motherboard handle the i7 9700k at stock? I am going to upgrade to a Z390 later but for now the z370 is what I got 

13 minutes ago, BollyWood401 said:

Hey man thanks for the response I literally just saw the NH-U12A Yesterday so that is what im definitely going with! Quick question, I’m about to use an i7 9700k with my msi z370 gaming plus motherboard, I know I have to update the bios to use it but will the motherboard handle the i7 9700k at stock? I am going to upgrade to a Z390 later but for now the z370 is what I got 

To my knowledge, you won't have any issues with the i7 9700K at stock or overclocked once you update the Z370 bios and there will be no need to upgrade to a Z390. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The VRM's may be a little beefier on the Z390 boards, though.

36 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

To my knowledge, you won't have any issues with the i7 9700K at stock or overclocked once you update the Z370 bios and there will be no need to upgrade to a Z390. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The VRM's may be a little beefier on the Z390 boards, though.

I read that the VRM’s are beefier and I would like to upgrade in the future to future proof my rig but thanks for the info, imma get this thing put together and see how it all goes :)

12 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

I second this!

Check the link above, and read the user reviews..

The NH-U12A is just another form of NH-D15S with higher price.

While Le Grand Macho RT is better than NH-D15 in performance with lower price and better functionalities/compatibility with only 159mm height and no clearance issue to the RAM at all, so you can use high profiled and RGB RAMs if that's your thing. It's a massive heatsink but only weighing 1060gr with single quiet 140mm fan.

El Macho is the king of CPU air cooler in my POV.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: