Silent powerful reliable PSU (Corsair hx1200i vs ax1000 vs smth else)

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
2 hours ago, DeKinci said:

I want primary color to be white, and the range of white PSUs is extremely limited, that's why I'll need to repaint it.

I want it to be really quiet (passive cooling) and have a lot of power for future upgrades.

It also needs to be very reliable so voiding warranty (repainting) wont turn into a disaster.

The Corsair RMx white suggested by JonnyGuru and @fasauceome is your best bet. It's perfect for your needs. The unit is white, and comes with white individually sleeved cables - Something that costs almost $100 separately. You also won't void your warranty by painting the unit, and the finish on the unit will look a lot better than a home paintjob.
It's also very quiet. It has a semi-passive fan mode, so when your system is at idle it won't spin, but that's really not important... What is important is that when the fan does turn on, it is very quiet. When it turns on the fan only spins at a low RPM around 600RPM and is inaudible.

image.png.6b3c3318d8d06f376844111d1a1c6149.png

Source: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=3UY

Result-36-36_Average_Noise_Output_w_711.

The RM850x V2 demonstrates better performance in our noise output testing than the original, making it one of the quietest 850W PSUs that we have ever tested.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-11.html

I'm building a dream pc and need a proper psu. 

I want primary color to be white, and the range of white PSUs is extremely limited, that's why I'll need to repaint it.

I want it to be really quiet (passive cooling) and have a lot of power for future upgrades.

It also needs to be very reliable so voiding warranty (repainting) wont turn into a disaster.

Now I'm choosing between corsair hx1200i and ax1000 for both of them have passive cooling under 40% load and well known stability.

I've read about the differences but don't fully understand how it will influence the pc.

If you have had any experience with one of those PSUs can you share it?

Maybe you know about some other nice PSUs?

Maybe there are silent (under 400w) white 900+w PSUs on the market which I didn't notice?

CPU will be i5-9600k, i7-9700k or i9-9900k (or mb newer models if case modding takes too long)

GC will be 2080 ti

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

You need no where near 1000 watts

it's for fan noise but I think there's way too much emphasis being places on that. low load fan noise is nice and quiet, especially on good units.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqPKHx/seasonic-prime-snowsilent-750w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750tr-snowsilent

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139247

I highly recommend these units instead.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Slottr said:

You need no where near 1000 watts

I want it to be silent, and most of them are silent under 40% of load.

Also I want to be able to OC everything I want and to add second GPU one day

1 minute ago, DeKinci said:

Plenty of decent fanless power supplies, Seasonic has a good lineup of them

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

it's for fan noise but I think there's way too much emphasis being places on that. low load fan noise is nice and quiet, especially on good units.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqPKHx/seasonic-prime-snowsilent-750w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750tr-snowsilent

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139247

I highly recommend these units instead.

Yeah, those two are all that limited choice I've found. But 750w might become a problem if one happy day I will decide to add a second OC GPU. And 850 is on the edge.

40% out of 850 is not a lot too

I think you're still chasing something that's no tangible benefit. Acoustically, you may not be able to tell the difference between silent and quiet.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

I think you're still chasing something that's no tangible benefit. Acoustically, you may not be able to tell the difference between silent and quiet.

The case is open (I know that goes against silence, but that one is just beautiful) and everything will be liquid cooled. Guess I will hear the difference.

The case is open (I know that goes against silence, but that one is just beautiful) and everything will be liquid cooled. Guess I will hear the difference.

If you truly must, then it does seem like painting a 1200 watt PSU is your only option.

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, DeKinci said:

How'd you come up with that shit?!

PSU ain't no motor, the relative load is not relevant as there is no kind of transmission. The absolute value are what's important + Efficiency!

Meaning: 

A 450W Bitfenix Whisper M is quieter than the 850W Version, especially at lower loads. Because about the same efficiency, the same Heatsinks, so for the 850W to be quieter at a given load, it has to run hotter.

And the 850W has a higher RPM fan as well (450W around 450-500rpm, 650W+ around 700rpm or so)

And for there to be a difference, we need to talk about two completely different units -> Different Plattform And even then, in general the lower wattages are NOT louder, if designed with noise in mind.

So what you want is a QUIET PSU! A PSU that is designed to be quiet, that had that in the spec sheet when beeing developed.

The wattage is irrelevant. And its easier to find really quiet PSU under 750W than above that.

7 minutes ago, DeKinci said:

WTF?!
You want it quiet?! Or you want OC?!

Can't really have both!

At least not cheap.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

How'd you come up with that shit?!

PSU ain't no motor, the relative load is not relevant as there is no kind of transmission. The absolute value are what's important + Efficiency!

Meaning: 

A 450W Bitfenix Whisper M is quieter than the 850W Version, especially at lower loads. Because about the same efficiency, the same Heatsinks, so for the 850W to be quieter at a given load, it has to run hotter.

And the 850W has a higher RPM fan as well (450W around 450-500rpm, 650W+ around 700rpm or so)

And for there to be a difference, we need to talk about two completely different units -> Different Plattform And even then, in general the lower wattages are NOT louder, if designed with noise in mind.

So what you want is a QUIET PSU! A PSU that is designed to be quiet, that had that in the spec sheet when beeing developed.

The wattage is irrelevant. And its easier to find really quiet PSU under 750W than above that.

WTF?!
You want it quiet?! Or you want OC?!

Can't really have both!

At least not cheap.

> How'd you come up with that shit?!

Most 'silent' PSUs run in passive mode (fan off) under 40% load. That's why more power means more power in silent mode. I guess radiators are bigger for higher power (PSUs cases are also bigger).

> You want it quiet?! Or you want OC?!

I want to BE ABLE to OC in games when necessary, and be able to run quiet on non demanding tasks. 

> At least not cheap

I don't really care about the cost that much as long as it is rational. Estimated budget is <400$ and that is nearly every reasonable PSU on the market. I want PSU to be in the build for many years.

1 hour ago, DeKinci said:

Yeah, those two are all that limited choice I've found. But 750w might become a problem if one happy day I will decide to add a second OC GPU. And 850 is on the edge.

850W is more than enough.

20 minutes ago, DeKinci said:

> How'd you come up with that shit?!

Most 'silent' PSUs run in passive mode (fan off) under 40% load. That's why more power means more power in silent mode. I guess radiators are bigger for higher power (PSUs cases are also bigger).

You RLY believe the Marketing/PR Bullshit?!
RLY?!

Just look at the PSU:

750W:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/aris-bitziopoulos/corsair-hx750-psu-review/3/

1000W:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/aris-bitziopoulos/corsair-hx750-psu-review/3/

Where you see the "radiators"?? Where do you see the bigger heatsinks?!

I give you a hint: They ain't there. They are the same. That's why I've written it in that way!

Because its not true. And the "40%" is just an estimate depending on many different situations. 

And if you look at fan RPM vs Load, you see that its about the same!

Obviously...

So your assumption about Wattage and Noise is not true.

In truth: A PSU designed to be quiet will be quiet.

A PSU that's not designed to be quiet, will not necessarily be quiet. ANd there are still many PSU on the louder side.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Somebody go check on Stefan Payne.  He's having an aneurysm.  

2 hours ago, DeKinci said:

The Corsair RMx white suggested by JonnyGuru and @fasauceome is your best bet. It's perfect for your needs. The unit is white, and comes with white individually sleeved cables - Something that costs almost $100 separately. You also won't void your warranty by painting the unit, and the finish on the unit will look a lot better than a home paintjob.
It's also very quiet. It has a semi-passive fan mode, so when your system is at idle it won't spin, but that's really not important... What is important is that when the fan does turn on, it is very quiet. When it turns on the fan only spins at a low RPM around 600RPM and is inaudible.

image.png.6b3c3318d8d06f376844111d1a1c6149.png

Source: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=3UY

Result-36-36_Average_Noise_Output_w_711.

The RM850x V2 demonstrates better performance in our noise output testing than the original, making it one of the quietest 850W PSUs that we have ever tested.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-11.html

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

YIiRF8f.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

Those are the words I was hoping to hear.

Just ordered rm850x with a thought that if I'll ever need more juice (probably not) I can replace it. 

Thank you man, I really appreciate your help