Dead AIO-cooler, or did I overlook something?

Hi LTT Forums!
After being a frequent viewer of the show for the past years, I thought I'd head for the forums to check out what its all albout, whilst also kindly ask the community if you have any idea about what is going on with my AIO cooler.

So basically, my setup has been working fine for the past 12-14 months, and suddenly, after moving my computer today (Basically carrying it for fifteen metres and a short car-ride), I've run into an issue with the AIO CPU cooler from Corsair (h100i V2).

Basically, instantly on startup, temperatures hit the upper 90c's, causing thermal-throttling down to about 3,2 ghz whilst still maintaining a temperature of 90-95C*. Upon reboot i naturally recieve the POST error which informs me that the CPU temperature is too high.

In addition, the cooler has started to make a loud grinding noise which will fluctuate slightly in volume and agressivity, but it does never disappear completely.

In my opinion, this AIO cooler seems to be dead / broken, and I am planning on sorting this out with the seller under warranty.

Does anyone agree with me that these symptoms in fact do seem like a broken pump, or could it be something else which I have overlooked?
I mean, its a closed loop, so its not like I am able to do much to it.I took the fans off the radiator and gave them both a good vacuum, I've checked the cables, and I've also tried rotating the case around to allow for any trapped air to move into the radiator instead. 

Additional information;

- Even though the pump seems to make strange noises (which usually has been working completely silently until this recent issue), it does show up in Corsair Link operating at 4500 RPM. The fans on the radiator also spool up to max, so it does seem like the controller-unit/whatever which reports to the mobo is still working.

- I7-7700K usually running at 4,6 ghz (avg. temp of 65-68 C* under 100% load) on a Strix Z270F Mobo. Currently it will at idle throttle down to 3,2-3,3ghz to be able to avoid further throttle (sits in the 90-97c* range idle). Any attempt at load, I.e OCCT will instantly cancel the test due to thermal limit reached.

Thank you for any insight which you might have to share. 

if you think the pump works you should check if it's clogged

mine did something like that once and when I opened it there was a weird grease inside the block that prevented the coolant from flowing, it was easy to tell since one of the sides was dry and the other wasn't

place the rad with the tubes facing up and the block copper plate facing up too then remove the screws that hold the plate to the block, you'll see a green or purple liquid inside, don't remove it, do remove using a small screwdriver or needle any grease or strange residue inside then put everything back together and run it outside the case

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

20 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

if you think the pump works you should check if it's clogged

mine did something like that once and when I opened it there was a weird grease inside the block that prevented the coolant from flowing, it was easy to tell since one of the sides was dry and the other wasn't

place the rad with the tubes facing up and the block copper plate facing up too then remove the screws that hold the plate to the block, you'll see a green or purple liquid inside, don't remove it, do remove using a small screwdriver or needle any grease or strange residue inside then put everything back together and run it outside the case

I do think something in the pump works, because the loud grinding noise is definitely caused by something, but if its just a "engine" spinning with a broken ball-bearing or perhaps the fan-blades of the pump has broken off the spinning part is hard to tell, but you're right, something is still moving to be able to create that awfull grinding noise. 

As the cooler is still within warranty I do not want to pick it apart for obvious reasons (I assume tearing down an AIO-unit will void the warranty), I assume its quiet cumbersome if I by any chance would spill any of the liquid, as I do not have the means or competence to figure out which fluid i should top it up with. In addition, i doubt that something is physically blocking the pump as debris has no way of entering the cooling loop, a tear-down would probably mean that I need spare parts as something is definitely broken, not clogged. (Or could I be wrong? Does it happen that these AIO units are shipped from the factory with debris in them?) 

20 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

this sounds like it's dead

i'll add @Corsair Nick to be sure

Glad to hear you are under the same impression, would appriciate Mr. Nick's two cents though. 

7 hours ago, Inzelux said:

i doubt that something is physically blocking the pump as debris has no way of entering the cooling loop, a tear-down would probably mean that I need spare parts as something is definitely broken, not clogged. (Or could I be wrong? Does it happen that these AIO units are shipped from the factory with debris in them?)

I had a H100i stop cooling recently after about 3 years use and google seems to show the same thing time and again, blockages. There were also some stories of the warranty replacements not lasting long either so I decided to void my warranty (5 years) and open it up.

Liquid port obstructed

1.jpg.400e4f80bfa3c35da0f794e6e9e62924.jpg

Channel for copper cooling fins blocked.

2.jpg.9c3ba9e12ac5523a4d1f86de752d5de0.jpg

It looks to me like something has crystallized in the liquid, perhaps some silicone grease that wasn't right for the job. I would think Corsair would be very aware of the problem after receiving returns and have hopefully addressed the issue in their newer units.

At some time I'll try to put it back together minus the blockages and see how it goes. Pump was still turning but maybe starved of flow or dead heading into the blockage. After all it was fine when it was working properly so maybe worth a shot.

Possibly in the Op's case there was some build up in the cooling circuit and moving the unit around dislodged it into a blockage. Just a guess.

AWOL

11 hours ago, X_X said:

I had a H100i stop cooling recently after about 3 years use and google seems to show the same thing time and again, blockages. There were also some stories of the warranty replacements not lasting long either so I decided to void my warranty (5 years) and open it up.

Liquid port obstructed

1.jpg.400e4f80bfa3c35da0f794e6e9e62924.jpg

Channel for copper cooling fins blocked.

2.jpg.9c3ba9e12ac5523a4d1f86de752d5de0.jpg

It looks to me like something has crystallized in the liquid, perhaps some silicone grease that wasn't right for the job. I would think Corsair would be very aware of the problem after receiving returns and have hopefully addressed the issue in their newer units.

At some time I'll try to put it back together minus the blockages and see how it goes. Pump was still turning but maybe starved of flow or dead heading into the blockage. After all it was fine when it was working properly so maybe worth a shot.

Possibly in the Op's case there was some build up in the cooling circuit and moving the unit around dislodged it into a blockage. Just a guess.

Wow, can't say anything else than that I'm pretty much gobsmacked by your post. I would never have thought that this is an issue with a closed cooling system which is assembled under controlled conditions. 

Obviously seems like they have issues with material choices, although its hard to grasp when they have control over so many of the parameters within a factory. 

Either way, I will withstand from disassembling the unit untill I have heard from the seller or Corsair directly regarding the warranty / replacement situation. Its just too cumbersome, I refuse to believe that unclogging a AIO cooler is within expected maintenance work..I could be wrong though.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Inzelux
language

I agree. Should be on Corsair to fix under warranty.

AWOL