Multiple BSODs on startup after power outtage. [New mobo same problem]

MammothJerk
Go to solution Solved by MammothJerk,

ok it appears the motherboard was fine after all...

All i needed to do was increase the cpu vcore offset by about 0.150v since the chip has degraded over time.

I was not running any overclocks during this problem

Pretty old system

Intel Core i7 4770K CPU

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz ddr3 RAM

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 Motherborad

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU

No overclocks activated

There seems to have been a power outtage overnight and when i woke up in the morning my computer wouldn't boot into windows at all. I'm just getting constant BSODs and am not even able to boot into safemode or run the automatic recovery. As soon as the pinwheel starts spinning the BSOD hits.

This is what i've tried so far:

Removed all USB devices.

Removed all Storage drives.

Updated BIOS.

Cleared CMOS.

Removed sound card.

Removed NVMe PCIe SSD.

Removed and reseated all RAM sticks.

Made 2 USB sticks (16gb and 32gb) to reinstall windows - neither boots past the pinwheel.

Ran memtest for 12 hours with 0 errors reported

Im getting these three BSOD errors, always as the pinwheel starts spinning after the BIOS splash screen disappears.

KMode Exception not handled

Irql not less or equal

Unexpected kernel mode trap

Here's a video on how it happens.

I am only able to change settings in the BIOS and I'm wondering if there is anything i can at this point or if the entire motherboard is toast.

Was going to update this summer anyway but i'd hope i would be able to save this build til then.

[update]

I bought a new motherboard (ASUS Q87M-E) to tide me over until i get the new build done, but it seems like the motherboard was NOT the problem - or this new motherboard is also broken?

One difference i can see is that the new motherboard lasts for maybe 5 more seconds into the startup repair. Instead of crashing at the pinwheel as you can see in the video with the new motherboard it crashes about 5 seconds into the automatic repair so i have a couple of seconds of input. however this is not consisten and sometimes it just freexes on the pinwheel with no BSOD and sometimes it BSODs on the pinwheel the same as the old motherboard.

I'm not sure what i can do at this point..

Have you tried to boot from a linux live usb stick... It may narrow down the problem futher.. 

Don't try to install, just boot from the usb stick and see if it spits some kind of error... 

Hope this clear things up a bit more. 

Ran memtest for 12 hours with 0 errors found.

15 hours ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Have you tried to boot from a linux live usb stick... It may narrow the problem futher.. 

Don't try to install just boot from it and see it spits some kind of error... 

tried booting to linux through the linuxliveusb and i got these several error screens and then it just started boot looping

Spoiler

Hh6spjC.jpg
b07N4lR.jpg
CxiEPqG.jpg
vvCcAvZ.jpg

looks like bad news.

Are there any more troubleshooting steps i can take?

7 minutes ago, MammothJerk said:

Ran memtest for 12 hours with 0 errors found.

tried booting to linux through the linuxliveusb and i got these several error screens and then it just started boot looping

Reveal hidden contents

Hh6spjC.jpg
b07N4lR.jpg
CxiEPqG.jpg
vvCcAvZ.jpg

looks like bad news.

Are there any more troubleshooting steps i can take?

Something seems to be messing with the cpu. Not sure what.... 

Doubt this will help but might as well take out the cpu and reseat it... 

In most power outage cases the storage device gets fried.. (happened with me too) but this looks like something else.. Again still not sure what.. Usually the cpu socket in the motherboard is most protected.. 

Another idea that popped in my head is that take out all the storage and boot devices and then use linux live usb stick... 

1 hour ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Something seems to be messing with the cpu. Not sure what.... 

Doubt this will help but might as well take out the cpu and reseat it... 

In most power outage cases the storage device gets fried.. (happened with me too) but this looks like something else.. Again still not sure what.. Usually the cpu socket in the motherboard is most protected.. 

Reseated the cpu, no changes that i can see. still get the same errors booting to linuxliveusb, still crashing at the pinwheel when trying to boot into windows.

1 hour ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Another idea that popped in my head is that take out all the storage and boot devices and then use linux live usb stick... 

I've done exactly that, no boot/storage devices connected, only the USB with the boot media.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a new motherboard (ASUS Q87M-E) to tide me over until i get the new build done, but it seems like the motherboard was NOT the problem - or this new motherboard is also broken?

One difference i can see is that the new motherboard lasts for maybe 5 more seconds into the startup repair. Instead of crashing at the pinwheel as you can see in the video with the new motherboard it crashes about 5 seconds into the automatic repair so i have a couple of seconds of input. however this is not consisten and sometimes it just freexes on the pinwheel with no BSOD and sometimes it BSODs on the pinwheel the same as the old motherboard.

I'm not sure what i can do at this point..

ok it appears the motherboard was fine after all...

All i needed to do was increase the cpu vcore offset by about 0.150v since the chip has degraded over time.

I was not running any overclocks during this problem