Taping a 120mm fan into a 80mm fan spot

Oalei

Is it a good idea to freaking tape a fan case. Probably gonna make it louder cause its not a tight fit. The place is a freaking let down they won't swap it for a 80mm fans.but I'm also at fault for not checking they're info

Overall - not really. Most of the airflow from a fan comes from the circumference - which I'm assuming isn't mesh since it's an 80mm slot. You could always do it anyways.

What's the story behind this? Are your temps bad enough that you think you need another case fan? Could you mount the 120mm fan elsewhere?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

5 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Overall - not really. Most of the airflow from a fan comes from the circumference - which I'm assuming isn't mesh since it's an 80mm slot. You could always do it anyways.

What's the story behind this? Are your temps bad enough that you think you need another case fan? Could you mount the 120mm fan elsewhere?

No I just need new fans cause its an old case so. Temps is also high if there's no side fan cause the front fan is more like drive cooler than others, cause there's 2 sides fan 120 bottom for your gpu mostly I think and 80mm for your motherboard and stuff 

No, not without a adapter/funnel from 120 mm->80 mm for the sake of airflow/pressure. Assuming there is just a cut out for a 80 mm fan and the case is solid for the rest part just hacking a 120 mm fan is ineffective. It it is perforated for air to pass larger than 80 mm then just drill holes for the new fan and screw it in place or use ZIP-ties.

Guessing you don't want to spend more money as getting a 80 mm fan is not an option and saving the 120 mm fan for another project, getting a 120 mm hole-saw to drill/cut-out a hole for the new fan is out of the question?

But in fairness if the two bottom 120 mm fans doesn't help with the temp in the case, a extra 80/120 mm is not the solution.

3 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

No, not without a adapter/funnel from 120 mm->80 mm for the sake of airflow/pressure. Assuming there is just a cut out for a 80 mm fan and the case is solid for the rest part just hacking a 120 mm fan is ineffective. It it is perforated for air to pass larger than 80 mm then just drill holes for the new fan and screw it in place or use ZIP-ties.

Guessing you don't want to spend more money as getting a 80 mm fan is not an option and saving the 120 mm fan for another project, getting a 120 mm hole-saw to drill/cut-out a hole for the new fan is out of the question?

But in fairness if the two bottom 120 mm fans doesn't help with the temp in the case, a extra 80/120 mm is not the solution.

my room is just hot an extra fan for gpu is kinda neccesary i think and my mobo is hot so it need air for the mobo. 

i planned on borrowing a drill then zipties it

here's a picture of how the case looks like and what i planned on doing 

33 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

my case is small so i dont think making my cpu cooler a bit shorter is a good idea (cause its already installed) . so i will stick to tape and zip ties

40 minutes ago, Oalei said:

my case is small so i dont think making my cpu cooler a bit shorter is a good idea (cause its already installed) . so i will stick to tape and zip ties

But why? If you don't mount that converter that @jonnyGURU posted your airflow is probably going to be worse with a larger fan.
If there is no mesh your fan will just be pushing air, against the side of the case, accomplishing nothing. With the larger hub to fit the larger motor you might even move less air.

16 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

But why? If you don't mount that converter that @jonnyGURU posted your airflow is probably going to be worse with a larger fan.
If there is no mesh your fan will just be pushing air, against the side of the case, accomplishing nothing. With the larger hub to fit the larger motor you might even move less air.

the number 1 problem is it doesnt fit. there is no way thats going to fit at all

Just buy a new or used case that is not pre-2008 that have some decent options for fan-placement and other hardware. Or just buy a 80 mm fan, new or used it is not more than a couple of $ for a fan. 

That case is just an old potato, more or less from a long gone era. Your best option is just to use your current case with the side-panel off and either put a box-fan on the outside or make something with your 120 mm fans, heck even a "new" side-panel made of cardboard with cut outs for your fans over GPU and CPU/MB. Sure, you can put a 120 mm fan in the 5-1/4" bays, but don't even bother to hack that lower 120 mm fan in place instead of a 80 mm fan. Are there even room in front of the fan to breathe with the front-panel in place? Is the plan to mount the fan on the inside of the case above the HDD or on the outside?

13 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Just buy a new or used case that is not pre-2008 that have some decent options for fan-placement and other hardware. Or just buy a 80 mm fan, new or used it is not more than a couple of $ for a fan. 

That case is just an old potato, more or less from a long gone era. Your best option is just to use your current case with the side-panel off and either put a box-fan on the outside or make something with your 120 mm fans, heck even a "new" side-panel made of cardboard with cut outs for your fans over GPU and CPU/MB. Sure, you can put a 120 mm fan in the 5-1/4" bays, but don't even bother to hack that lower 120 mm fan in place instead of a 80 mm fan. Are there even room in front of the fan to breathe with the front-panel in place? Is the plan to mount the fan on the inside of the case above the HDD or on the outside?

i could buy a new case but thats not really stupid its a smart decision so heck no

just 1 fan on side panel is fine who cares. Probably outside the case on the cd rom and stuff bay so i can put a HDD or something behind it. so basiclly i move the HDD to the top bracket. there is my normal fan anyway so i can push more air to the pc without actually putting case fans hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. so new problems like heck i can put a fan header to a mobo and the front one doesnt have any molex anymore auojdsfbaofasad