First Time building a gaming pc, please help

IBojo

So I've never built a computer before but after some research and watching plenty of Linus videos; I couldn't be more excited. Based off of one friends advice and some of my own research I made a list of parts that I was planning on purchasing within the next two months as I save up money. I'm hoping someone with more experience could offer some advice for if I should swap something out, get a different case etc etc. 

My budget is around $1500 (CAD)

Will be used primarily for gaming

I don't need to be playing at Ultra setting at 4k, just well enough that I can enjoy it

ideally the computer won't need any replacement parts for awhile.

Thanks to everyone who replies :)

Here's my list so far:

CPU:                           Intel Core I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 6 Core

Cooler:                        Cooler master - master liquid ML120R RGB

Motherboard:              MSI Z-370 A Pro

Memory:                     Vengeance LPX 16 (2 - 8 GB) DDR 4 3000

Storage:                      Crucial MX 500 - 500 GB ssd                      (and?) (Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD)

Video Card:                MSI G-force rtx 2060 

Case:                          Deep Cool Tesseract 

Power Supply:            Corsair CXM 650 W  80+ bronze (no idea what bronze means lol) (I mean, obviously the grade of something but idk what)

(well just realized posting the link brings up the whole list...... whoops)

Thanks again :):):):)

1 minute ago, IBojo said:

Power Supply:            Corsair CXM 650 W  80+ bronze (no idea what bronze means lol) (I mean, obviously the grade of something but idk what)

80+ Bronze refers to the units efficiency rating. How efficiently it can convert the AC power coming in from the wall in to DC power that your PC uses. You can read more about it here:

You should grab a better quality motherboard.
120mm AIO cooler is essentially useless. You'd be better off with a large air cooler. A BQ Dark Rock Pro 4 is cheaper than the 120mm AIO you selected.

5 minutes ago, IBojo said:

You have the PCPP list set to America, so it is showing prices in USD. You can change the region to show Canadian currency & prices for parts purchased from Canadian stores. Just set your region to Canada in the top right.
The system you posted is CAD $1900 - $400 over your budget.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

More for less:

Again, that's USD, not CAD. Your list also works out to be CAD $1865 (compared to OPs original list of CAD $1890)

11 minutes ago, IBojo said:

PS. Why a $200 X470 motherboard? Why keep the 120mm AIO when its $100+ of wasted cost? Why spend more on a RTX 2070 (which already generally isn't good value when compared price/performance to the RTX 2060) when they are using a 1080p 75hz monitor?

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Again, that's USD, not CAD. Your list also works out to be CAD $1865 (compared to OPs original list of CAD $1890)

I just ran with the original list's pricing, it would also be really easy to get under $1500 CAD

Edit: like this

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

the 1500 CAD is not super firm. If you guys think spending even an extra 300$ will make a significant difference, I'm willing to put in a little extra money :)

Also thanks so much for the replies already!

Just now, IBojo said:

the 1500 CAD is not super firm. If you guys think spending even an extra 300$ will make a significant difference, I'm willing to put in a little extra money :)

For 1080p gaming, the extra $300 would be a waste of money. The $1450 CAD system I posted (Ryzen 2600 + GTX 1660Ti) would handle 1080p 75hz gaming with ease. If you want you can spend the extra $50 to grab the RTX 2060 instead of the 1660Ti. Or you can spend the $50 on a tower air cooler for the CPU, like a Cryorig H7 - though the stock cooler with the Ryzen CPUs is fairly decent, and can always be changed later on very easily if you ever want to swap it out.

Just now, IBojo said:

Be sure to quote people or @ them so they see your response.

Well, a little more spending is fine but for the target of 1080p it's not really much, so if you're cool with the other direction and saving some cash you can downsize.

More than suitable for your needs and good value 

Primary PC:

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I just ran with the original list's pricing, it would also be really easy to get under $1500 CAD

Edit: like this 

I'm still curious. Why spend $670 for the RTX 2070 for 1080p gaming? You're trying really hard to squeeze it in to the budget, dropping the SSD down, dropping the HDD altogether, dropping the case down... Seem to be sacrificing a lot in order to fit the 2070 in to the budget when it really just isn't needed for 1080p 75hz gaming.

@fasauceome and @Spotty

wow; you guys/girls (hey its 2019, can't be too careful) are awesome.

My current computer is a piece of crap pre built from 5 years ago and I can barely play rocket league at the lowest settings lol. I'm sure anything is going to be a significant upgrade. Thanks for your lists! If I do decide to spend a little more; what do you think are the things I could change from the $1269 list you provided?

Just now, Spotty said:

I'm still curious. Why spend $670 for the RTX 2070 for 1080p gaming? You're trying really hard to squeeze it in to the budget, dropping the SSD down, dropping the HDD altogether, dropping the case down... Seem to be sacrificing a lot in order to fit the 2070 in to the budget when it really just isn't needed for 1080p 75hz gaming.

For gaming, more performance is nice. Fits in OP's budget. Maybe a monitor upgrade down the line. I've already offered 3 different parts lists, the 2070 isn't the end all be all of my recommendations.

Primary PC:

10 minutes ago, IBojo said:

My current computer is a piece of crap pre built from 5 years ago and I can barely play rocket league at the lowest settings lol. I'm sure anything is going to be a significant upgrade. Thanks for your lists! If I do decide to spend a little more; what do you think are the things I could change from the $1269 list you provided?

You can spend more on decent quality components, like a high quality motherboard and power supply, which give lots of room to upgrade in the future. But what's your current spec? It might do well with a graphics card replacement.

Primary PC:

14 minutes ago, IBojo said:

@fasauceome and @Spotty

wow; you guys/girls (hey its 2019, can't be too careful) are awesome.

The $1269 list by @fasauceome?

First I would replace the SSD (The Kingston A400 is a very budget orientated SSD - better than no SSD, but that's about it). The one you had originally selected, the MX500, is a much better choice.
Also if you want a 2TB HDD that you had originally selected you'll need to replace the one in that list as that $1269 list only has a 1TB HDD selected.

The case selected only allows for mATX sized motherboards, so if you want an ATX motherboard you'll need to replace the case as well.
You should also choose a case that you like the look of, since you're the one who has to look at it.

At which point you pretty much end back up at...

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@Spotty to be honest, I don't really know what I'm going to need. As it is now I don't play very graphic heavy games; nor do I have very many games on my current computer at all since I was a console player for most of my years. I just wanted to make a system that would be good enough to play any of the titles that come out at high quality for the next couple years. Also I don't quite know the difference between motherboards and what that means for future upgrades.

Thanks again :) 

10 minutes ago, IBojo said:

@Spotty to be honest, I don't really know what I'm going to need. As it is now I don't play very graphic heavy games; nor do I have very many games on my current computer at all since I was a console player for most of my years. I just wanted to make a system that would be good enough to play any of the titles that come out at high quality for the next couple years. Also I don't quite know the difference between motherboards and what that means for future upgrades.

Thanks again :) 

BTW, be careful with ordering from Vuugo. I and many other members have been burned by them countless times, from not shipping to not honouring returns, it's better just not to buy from them.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($224.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($95.10 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($116.35 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.99 @ Powertop) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card  ($619.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) MSI ventus if you're fine with spending $50 more.
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB600L ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Monitor: ViewSonic - VX2458-mhd 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($234.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $1560.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 21:57 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W