Hdd

SzaboAttila

Hello guys, my grandpa have a bit older pc with only a 1tb hdd win 7on it(its almost full and really slow), my question is can I buy a ssd put win 10 on it, then plug it in? Can he still use that old hdd (there are 700gb of videos and pics on it so I dont want to format it)

Gaming pc: CPU(AMD Ryzen 5 1600), MOBO(MSI B450M Bazooka), RAM(DDR4 2x8GB 2666MHz Kingston Fury Black), STORAGE(120GB WD Green SSD , 1TB WD Blue HDD), GPU(incoming), PSU(incoming), CASE(Nzxt h400i)

Assuming the PC is not old enough where it only has one SATA port, then yes.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Assuming the PC is not old enough where it only has one SATA port, then yes.

I will check it

Gaming pc: CPU(AMD Ryzen 5 1600), MOBO(MSI B450M Bazooka), RAM(DDR4 2x8GB 2666MHz Kingston Fury Black), STORAGE(120GB WD Green SSD , 1TB WD Blue HDD), GPU(incoming), PSU(incoming), CASE(Nzxt h400i)

Just now, myselfolli said:

I'd recommend backing up the videos and pics, wiping and formatting the HDD and then putting everything back

It would take forever :(

2 minutes ago, SzaboAttila said:

It would take forever :(

You could start the backup overnight and just leave it. And it will probably boost the HDDs performance considerably

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

4 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

You could start the backup overnight and just leave it. And it will probably boost the HDDs performance considerably

I dont have a big enough backup drive.

Just now, SzaboAttila said:

I dont have a big enough backup drive.

Oh, for crying out loud, you're just making excuses (some pretty sad ones, at that). Get one, then. They aren't that expensive. Here in the SSA (Squabbling States of America) you can get a 1TB external HDD for around $50.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Oh, for crying out loud, you're just making excuses (some pretty sad ones, at that). Get one, then. They aren't that expensive. Here in the SSA (Squabbling States of America) you can get a 1TB external HDD for around $50.

But I dont live in the USA and I am a student with no money 

18 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

sometimes you can get 250-500gb used drives for free, you can always split the data

34 minutes ago, SzaboAttila said:

But I dont live in the USA and I am a student with no money 

How was I (or anyone else) supposed to know that? You need to put your location in your profile. How do you expect people to help you if they don't know where you live?

Also, someone's paying for the SSD; that person can also pay for a backup drive. Your Grandpa should have been already backing up his data if he values it any.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Buy an SSD.  Install windows 10 on it.  Transfer the data from the HDD to the SSD.  Prices have fallen for SSDs lately.

Wipe the HDD and then use it for backups of the SSD. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 hour ago, wojtepanik said:

sometimes you can get 250-500gb used drives for free, you can always split the data

Thanks

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

How was I (or anyone else) supposed to know that? You need to put your location in your profile. How do you expect people to help you if they don't know where you live?

Also, someone's paying for the SSD; that person can also pay for a backup drive. Your Grandpa should have been already backing up his data if he values it any.

Chill mate. Calm down.

19 minutes ago, SzaboAttila said:

Chill mate. Calm down.

Well he’s either Aussie or english