RTX 2060 Micro-stutter

xtroria
Go to solution Solved by xtroria,

Apparently the problem is because of the RAM.

I've been running 3 x 4GB of RAM running at 2400Mhz, basically all of them are running at single channel

I upgraded to 2 x 8GB kit of 3200Mhz and so far I don't see any of the stutter

Hello,

I'm currently having problem with my newly puchased RTX 2060 as it creates microstutter in apex legends and BF1. These 2 are the only games that I'm really playing right now so I've only tried it with these games.

My setup is:

6600K @stock

12GB RAM

SSD only for storage

Viewsonic XG2402 @1080P 144hz (Freesync + G-sync)

I was using RX 480 4GB previously and I don't have any problem with it. The problem persists with both G-sync on and off, GPU running on stock or OCed. I was also running the latest edition of the Nvidia driver (419.35)

Although I speculate that the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. I don't think it should result in a complete micro-stutter, probably only lower frames since the CPU is running at stock and should have a good stable voltage powering it

Micro stutter is predominantly caused by the CPU, your 6600K will definitely be the reason for it. The 6600K is 4C/4T at 3.5-3.9GHz, that is as slow as the very lowest Ryzen or Core i3 offering. You should look at replacing or overclocking your CPU if you don't have funds to replace.

Try cap the FPS to 60 or 90, that will reduce CPU load and if stutter gone that mean you're CPU bottleneck. 

12GB RAM is kinda odd, 4+4+4? 8+4? 8+2+2?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Try cap the FPS to 60 or 90, that will reduce CPU load and if stutter gone that mean you're CPU bottleneck. 

12GB RAM is kinda odd, 4+4+4? 8+4? 8+2+2?

I'll try to look into it.

I have a dual channel 8GB ram and a single channel 4gb ram

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

I have a dual channel 8GB ram and a single channel 4gb ram

That's 20GB. 

If you have 8GB+4GB in asynchronous dual channel mode that's mean only 4GB will have double bandwidth, not ideal for gaming imo.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

16 hours ago, xtroria said:

Hello,

I'm currently having problem with my newly puchased RTX 2060 as it creates microstutter in apex legends and BF1. These 2 are the only games that I'm really playing right now so I've only tried it with these games.

My setup is:

6600K @stock

12GB RAM

SSD only for storage

Viewsonic XG2402 @1080P 144hz (Freesync + G-sync)

I was using RX 480 4GB previously and I don't have any problem with it. The problem persists with both G-sync on and off, GPU running on stock or OCed. I was also running the latest edition of the Nvidia driver (419.35)

Although I speculate that the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. I don't think it should result in a complete micro-stutter, probably only lower frames since the CPU is running at stock and should have a good stable voltage powering it

BF1 uses CPU threads more I think and the gpu is held back probably. That's probably it and nothing else if you're just gaming TBH 

So far I've tried re-installing windows, without any success. I tried creating a task which free the standyby RAM and still doesn't work

My CPU is indeed bottlenecking the games, but it should only result in lower frames, not a micro-stutter.

Has anyone has this problem and managed to fix it?

3 minutes ago, xtroria said:

So far I've tried re-installing windows, without any success. I tried creating a task which free the standyby RAM and still doesn't work

My CPU is indeed bottlenecking the games, but it should only result in lower frames, not a micro-stutter.

Has anyone has this problem and managed to fix it?

1. Can you enable MSI Afterburner OSD with Frametime graph and then screenshot the micro-stuttered-graph? 

2. Try enable Vsync.

Update:

I decided to do the reckless thing, throwing more money to fix the problem and got myself a 9600K and upgrade my cooler to AIO and OC the hell out of it.

The good news is my frames seem to be jumping up, the bad news is it seems like the stutters are still there.

Seems like the problem lie at the CPU bottlenecking causing a frametime spikes. Weirdly enough BF 1 which spiked like crazy before is liking the additional 2 cores and runs perfectly smooth 100-120 fps on everything maxed out. 

Battlefield V exhibits some stutter but limiting the FPS to 120 seems to help out a lot.

Apex legends is actually the one still stuttering now even when I let it run at a capped 120fps. At this point, I'm not really sure if this is a driver problem. It's very unlikely to be a windows problem since it was still stuttering on a brand new install.

At this point, even if it's a CPU bottleneck, getting 9700K won't do anything since all the games are essentially only optimized to run on 6 cores and not 8 cores which is why i grabbed 9600K in the first place

51 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Update:

I decided to do the reckless thing, throwing more money to fix the problem and got myself a 9600K and upgrade my cooler to AIO and OC the hell out of it.

The good news is my frames seem to be jumping up, the bad news is it seems like the stutters are still there.

Seems like the problem lie at the CPU bottlenecking causing a frametime spikes. Weirdly enough BF 1 which spiked like crazy before is liking the additional 2 cores and runs perfectly smooth 100-120 fps on everything maxed out. 

Battlefield V exhibits some stutter but limiting the FPS to 120 seems to help out a lot.

Apex legends is actually the one still stuttering now even when I let it run at a capped 120fps. At this point, I'm not really sure if this is a driver problem. It's very unlikely to be a windows problem since it was still stuttering on a brand new install.

At this point, even if it's a CPU bottleneck, getting 9700K won't do anything since all the games are essentially only optimized to run on 6 cores and not 8 cores which is why i grabbed 9600K in the first place

Many games run best at multipliers of 30FPS due to their console heritage. Your typical console game either runs at a fixed 30 or 60FPS and only rarely with an open framerate and when that gets translated to PC, which sports an open framerate (unless a game is hard locked), framerates that are not a multiplier of 30 and/or 60 FPS can introduce microstuttering. And that's why limiting the framerate to 60 or 120 FPS will often help to smooth things out. Sometimes it can be so bad that even 30 FPS look smoother than 40-50 FPS for example. Actually, not that many games are programmed with a truly open framerate, propably because fixed framerates are easier to code cause you don't have to deal that much with frametime issues. That also makes G- & free-sync not as useful as it could be.That's why I gonna stick to a 60Hz monitor for the forseeable future - it's just one less thing to deal with.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

• 3 months later...

Hi I have a  had a similar problem to this I have a i9 9900k a 2080ti on a maximus hero xi with 16x2gb ram at 3200 a m.2 as boot and 1tb of ssd for gams with a 850w EVGA g2 pcu I get micro stuttering in all gams (eg 100ms fram skips) I have changed my gpu to a 1070 thay did fix it I cleared cmos reinstall windows and twek setting I have changed ram try stand by list clearing Chang cup to the i7 9700k took everything out of pc and put back in Chang cpu cool to the be quiet dark rock 4 I run msi afterburner and it show the frame time skips but my cpu and my gpu never hit 100 i caped FPS and put g sync on and of I have a g sync panel and it with a display port I have installed all driver for asus website and got my ssd driver for Samson website And I have ran benchmarks for cpu to see if crash or clock speed drops but all stable. 

I will say sorry for English now and this is my first pc bild 

i have ran out of ideas it could be a driver or Windows thing but the hard where left for me to test when I get the funds Is my ssd s and pcu and mothbord if you people can help me with over things to do plees 

2 hours ago, Key123 said:

Hi I have a  had a similar problem to this I have a i9 9900k a 2080ti on a maximus hero xi with 16x2gb ram at 3200 a m.2 as boot and 1tb of ssd for gams with a 850w EVGA g2 pcu I get micro stuttering in all gams (eg 100ms fram skips) I have changed my gpu to a 1070 thay did fix it I cleared cmos reinstall windows and twek setting I have changed ram try stand by list clearing Chang cup to the i7 9700k took everything out of pc and put back in Chang cpu cool to the be quiet dark rock 4 I run msi afterburner and it show the frame time skips but my cpu and my gpu never hit 100 i caped FPS and put g sync on and of I have a g sync panel and it with a display port I have installed all driver for asus website and got my ssd driver for Samson website And I have ran benchmarks for cpu to see if crash or clock speed drops but all stable. 

I will say sorry for English now and this is my first pc bild 

i have ran out of ideas it could be a driver or Windows thing but the hard where left for me to test when I get the funds Is my ssd s and pcu and mothbord if you people can help me with over things to do plees 

I meant to say did not fix it 

• 3 weeks later...

It's not your computer, its not your card. It's RTX and BFV. See my Imgur post. I've tried to bring this up and submit bugs ect. Never got a response. BFV RTX MICRO FREEZES

8 hours ago, Radigraph said:

It's not your computer, its not your card. It's RTX and BFV. See my Imgur post. I've tried to bring this up and submit bugs ect. Never got a response. BFV RTX MICRO FREEZES

The thing is it also happens in apex and pubg.

I'm not quite sure if it's because of my 2060, or my 9600K. Typically it should be because of CPU. Not sure at the moment.

Apparently the problem is because of the RAM.

I've been running 3 x 4GB of RAM running at 2400Mhz, basically all of them are running at single channel

I upgraded to 2 x 8GB kit of 3200Mhz and so far I don't see any of the stutter