Installing windows on new SSD

Sprinkles
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
16 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

Hey. I have kind of a stupid question about installing Windows onto my new SSD. The thing is I recently build my new PC but didn't get the SSD I'm going to use for windows in time so i just installed it all onto an old SSD while I was waiting on my new one. My question is how do I install windows onto the new SSD, I'm not looking to keep any of the few files I have on my current SSD. I was just gonna delete all files and reinstall windows but the thing is how do I make windows install on the new SSD. Is there an option when you reinstall from the windows settings to choose a different drive to reinstall windows on? If I just install a fresh copy of windows on the new drive, would I still be able to use the same key?

Is there a way to avoid migrating my data when I'm not looking to keep any of it?

First, make sure you sign in with a Microsoft account on your current installation so your Windows license is tied to your Microsoft account. Then you would simply install Windows on the new SSD using the same Installation USB or DVD you used when installing it on the first one, and sign in with your Microsoft account. This will allow Windows to verify your hardware is the same (sans the SSD change) so your license is still valid, assuming you have a Retail copy of Windows and not an OEM copy.

Hey. I have kind of a stupid question about installing Windows onto my new SSD. The thing is I recently build my new PC but didn't get the SSD I'm going to use for windows in time so i just installed it all onto an old SSD while I was waiting on my new one. My question is how do I install windows onto the new SSD, I'm not looking to keep any of the few files I have on my current SSD. I was just gonna delete all files and reinstall windows but the thing is how do I make windows install on the new SSD. Is there an option when you reinstall from the windows settings to choose a different drive to reinstall windows on? If I just install a fresh copy of windows on the new drive, would I still be able to use the same key?

Is there a way to avoid migrating my data when I'm not looking to keep any of it?

Actually all I just want is to install windows onto my new SSD without having to buy a new copy.. Might sound dumb..

Edited by Sprinkles

Best way to manage it is disconnect every drive but the one you're installing on. You'll want the key, especially if it's windows 7/8/8.1. For windows 10 you'll have to go through the install menus until you get to choose between upgrading or custom install, you'll have to pick custom, select the drive in the next screen and go, don't know the operations for win7/8/8.1, but you can google guides for those if needed.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

16 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

First, make sure you sign in with a Microsoft account on your current installation so your Windows license is tied to your Microsoft account. Then you would simply install Windows on the new SSD using the same Installation USB or DVD you used when installing it on the first one, and sign in with your Microsoft account. This will allow Windows to verify your hardware is the same (sans the SSD change) so your license is still valid, assuming you have a Retail copy of Windows and not an OEM copy.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, Cyracus said:

Best way to manage it is disconnect every drive but the one you're installing on. You'll want the key, especially if it's windows 7/8/8.1. For windows 10 you'll have to go through the install menus until you get to choose between upgrading or custom install, you'll have to pick custom, select the drive in the next screen and go, don't know the operations for win7/8/8.1, but you can google guides for those if needed.

Ok the thing is I've already used my windows 10 key, will I just be able to use it again on the new installation?

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Awesome, just what I needed to know. It is a retail copy and it is registered to my windows account. I was just having trouble finding the best solution. Thanks a lot!

btw. If it doesn't work I'm gonna blame you.. ❤️

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

An OEM license would still work in this case.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

1 minute ago, Sprinkles said:

Awesome, just what I needed to know. It is a retail copy and it is registered to my windows account. I was just having trouble finding the best solution. Thanks a lot!

btw. If it doesn't work I'm gonna blame you.. ❤️

No problem, and don't blame me, blame the woe's of software licensing. As far as I'm concerned, software is licensed to the user, not the machine, so however you activate is kosher as long as you have a receipt to back up your license. That being said, I do support licensing limitations such as number of licenses - if I want to use Windows 10 Pro on multiple machines at once, I need to purchase multiple licenses. However, if I happen to own multiple machines but only use Windows 10 Pro on a single device at a time, then my license should follow me, the user.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

No problem, and don't blame me, blame the woe's of software licensing. As far as I'm concerned, software is licensed to the user, not the machine, so however you activate is kosher as long as you have a receipt to back up your license. That being said, I do support licensing limitations such as number of licenses - if I want to use Windows 10 Pro on multiple machines at once, I need to purchase multiple licenses. However, if I happen to own multiple machines but only use Windows 10 Pro on a single device at a time, then my license should follow me, the user.

I was just unsure about how it was all connected since some people say that the windows copy register the hardware and activates by being connected to the pc..

1 minute ago, Sprinkles said:

I was just unsure about how it was all connected since some people say that the windows copy register the hardware and activates by being connected to the pc..

In a way, it does - if you make enough hardware changes, you'll have to use the Activation Troubleshooter to attempt activation. Do this enough times, and your license will stop activating unless you call Microsoft and get someone who understands... which IMO is kind of poor design since a license should be tied to the user for the number of machines its' valid for.

Just because I change my motherboard 10 times doesn't mean it's a "new" computer each time, even with an OEM license, but in some cases that's how Microsoft treats it. Since your license is retail though, you shouldn't have any problems. :) 

Just now, kirashi said:

In a way, it does - if you make enough hardware changes, you'll have to use the Activation Troubleshooter to attempt activation. Do this enough times, and your license will stop activating unless you call Microsoft and get someone who understands... which IMO is kind of poor design since a license should be tied to the user for the number of machines its' valid for.

Just because I change my motherboard 10 times doesn't mean it's a "new" computer each time, even with an OEM license, but in some cases that's how Microsoft treats it. Since your license is retail though, you shouldn't have any problems. :) 

Yeah, I watched Linus's video on the windows piracy thing and how that would happen when testing hardware. This shouldn't affect me at all since my pc is only just a week old and the only thing I'm going to change is my SSD, right?

2 minutes ago, Sprinkles said:

Yeah, I watched Linus's video on the windows piracy thing and how that would happen when testing hardware. This shouldn't affect me at all since my pc is only just a week old and the only thing I'm going to change is my SSD, right?

Correct, you should be good to go, even if you were changing your motherboard, since you have a retail license.

Correct, you should be good to go, even if you were changing your motherboard, since you have a retail license.

You're my savior! I can sleep well now without worrying about having to spend stupid money on a new expensive license! Thank you!