Does my GPU have faulty memory?

SlicerZrT

I seen videos and read on forums of people pushing their GPU's to insane speeds and I thought that mine could do it as well. 

I've provided a snip of msi afterburner and it clearly shows that my memory clock is rediculously low. 8 fps in kombustor when I took the snip. 

My hardware specifications are:

Intel core i5 3330 @ 3ghz 

Foxconn H77MXV(-D)

8gb ddr3 1333mhz

Msi gtx 1050 ti gaming x 4g

500w antec psu (80+ bronze) 

I guess that's all that should matter. And I should mention that I'm planning to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 when it comes out. 

Capture.JPG

Edit: I should also mention that the issue only resolves when I reboot my Pc. The place where I bought my GPU has terrible after sales services. 

Sounds more like a driver problem to me, rather than the card being defective. Try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the latest ones.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

5 minutes ago, Overl0rd said:

Sounds more like a driver problem to me, rather than the card being defective. Try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the latest ones.

Could my cpu memory speed limit my gpu's memory speed? It usually sits stabaly at 3500mhz (gpu)

OK, after tedious amounts of testing and reinstalling the drivers I had. Here are the results I got during a kombustor stress test. 626973875_Capture2.JPG.2460092237fcd0f6f75d1e1e7fd5b81c.JPG

Pls note that the temperature is not what I usually get, it usually sits a 43c during gaming (custom fan curve ensures that) . I just want to know if these clocks are right or do I have anymore overclocking headroom?

yeah the memory clock looks to be okay.. it runs 3500mhz stock, and you have boosted it 200mhz..

so it is fine.  also the temps look great.

2 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

yeah the memory clock looks to be okay.. it runs 3500mhz stock, and you have boosted it 200mhz..

so it is fine.  also the temps look great.

I wonder why people say 8000 mhz, is that the effective clock that they are referring to? Plus I managed to push my gpu clock to 1911 with those exact settings, it sometimes goes further, such as 1974, but that's only when I'm using gpu accelerated video encoding (h264 to h265), that doesn't really require much of my gpu as it does on my cpu. 

I also have an MSI Gaming X, GPU core doesn't overclock well but memory does.

1077623919_200071.png.247ee47fd645aa97569bae00676cd08b.png

AWOL

5 hours ago, X_X said:

I also have an MSI Gaming X, GPU core doesn't overclock well but memory does.

1077623919_200071.png.247ee47fd645aa97569bae00676cd08b.png

I noticed that your card uses Samsung memory, mine uses Hynix memory chips (gpu-z and actual chips confirm it). 

How did you get your card to overclock to 2249? I thought a 1050 Ti's max is 1911.

1 minute ago, SlicerZrT said:

I noticed that your card uses Samsung memory, mine uses Hynix memory chips (gpu-z and actual chips confirm it). 

How did you get your card to overclock to 2249? I thought a 1050 Ti's max is 1911.

Oh wait. Nvm. I see my error. 

I was looking at the memory clock. 

@SlicerZrT

2249 would be nice as core clock for sure but this GPU stability stops around 2050MHz on core, even increasing voltage passed 1.3V doesn't help :(

When first launched there was a 1911MHz limit on core but that was due to the driver. Could do some stuff like using fixed voltage but increasing the core to something really high, the driver would cap it to 1911MHz but the side effect would be the clock would not drop as temperatures got higher. After they fixed it though I see other effects such as clocks increasing with temperature with certain settings which isn't a good thing.

AWOL

7 hours ago, X_X said:

2249 would be nice as core clock for sure but this GPU stability stops around 2050MHz on core, even increasing voltage passed 1.3V doesn't help :(

I read somewhere that someone got a 1060 to 3ghz, which is obviously insane, and would need LN2 cooling all the time, which would be impractical.

It would be nice if they increased the instructions per clock instead of making people rely on really high clock speeds to achieve their results.