Render server x5675

Go to solution Solved by Falconevo,
4 minutes ago, Luuk17 said:

Hi i would like to create a server render farm, i need core with high clock speed, and ram, i don't need gpu, i already have one old that will be enough.
I don't have so much money(around 200 max max 250 Dollar/euro) and after searching stuff i have this x5675 ( 40$ one ) that i would like to put in a server with dual socket, my questions are ;
0 Can i put windows on server and run a program which will be doing the render?
1 can i overclock this dual xeon cpu in a server?
2 what type of serve i can buy that isn't so much expensive? we can find so much servers at low cost but i don't know which is good, i must search for something particular? or with just a LGA1366 socket or other specs?
3 Would be a dell poweredge 5710 good for what i want to do?

1.  You can use any OS, Windows.. Linux etc it depends entirely on what the software you want to use for 'rendering' and what OS support that software has.  Also how familiar are with each OS type will need to be taken in to account

2. Not with server grade motherboards, If you used a high end desktop grade with those X5600 series Xeon chips such as a EVGA SR-2, technically yes but it is FSB multiplier overclocking and not always stable

3. I'm assuming you mean Dell PowerEdge R510 or R710?  They can be purchased reasonably cheap but take in to account the amount of power they eat and the rack space requirement of the unit.  Make sure you have plenty of space.   If you do buy an R510 or R710 then I would suggest making sure it has a H700 RAID controller to make sure it supports disks larger than 2TB in size.  Do not buy one with a PERC6 controller in it as they cannot support disks larger than 2TB

Hi i would like to create a server render farm, i need core with high clock speed, and ram, i don't need gpu, i already have one old that will be enough.
I don't have so much money(around 200 max max 250 Dollar/euro) and after searching stuff i have this x5675 ( 40$ one ) that i would like to put in a server with dual socket, my questions are ;
2 what type of serve i can buy that isn't so much expensive? we can find so much servers at low cost but i don't know which is good, i must search for something particular? or with just a LGA1366 socket or other specs?

8 minutes ago, Luuk17 said:

Buy a whole dual socket server that has two CPU's you want to use already installed.

1.  You can use any OS, Windows.. Linux etc it depends entirely on what the software you want to use for 'rendering' and what OS support that software has.  Also how familiar are with each OS type will need to be taken in to account

2. Not with server grade motherboards, If you used a high end desktop grade with those X5600 series Xeon chips such as a EVGA SR-2, technically yes but it is FSB multiplier overclocking and not always stable

3. I'm assuming you mean Dell PowerEdge R510 or R710?  They can be purchased reasonably cheap but take in to account the amount of power they eat and the rack space requirement of the unit.  Make sure you have plenty of space.   If you do buy an R510 or R710 then I would suggest making sure it has a H700 RAID controller to make sure it supports disks larger than 2TB in size.  Do not buy one with a PERC6 controller in it as they cannot support disks larger than 2TB

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

or more something like this, because if i need also to search for ram i think would be more expensive

10 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

the program name is Revit, ok so h700 raid if i find it, about the space i already have one, the eat power maybe wold be the only problem, but it wouldn't be on 24/7 so...

3 minutes ago, Luuk17 said:

or more something like this, because if i need also to search for ram i think would be more expensive

the program name is Revit, ok so h700 raid if i find it, about the space i already have one, the eat power maybe wold be the only problem, but it wouldn't be on 24/7 so...

All dual socket systems are power hungry :) older socket 1366 Xeon's more so

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

All dual socket systems are power hungry :) older socket 1366 Xeon's more so

ok... did you know how much or i will search on my own xd? and why you tell me about the 2t  PERC6, if i don't have to connect a hhd with 2t but just 1t is not good ? can't understand xD

ok... did you know how much or i will search on my own xd? and why you tell me about the 2t  PERC6, if i don't have to connect a hhd with 2t but just 1t is not good ? can't understand xD

Steer clear of RAID controllers IMHO.  Some of them from that era do NOT work with newer OS's.

For power...

~130w x2 + ~40w for the board and RAM.  300w full tilt I would guess, though it could be as high as 400w with the high speed fans, drives, and other accessories.

Just now, Luuk17 said:

Not sure how much this would equate to on your power bill you would have to check with who pays for it and what rate they have;  Here are some stats from a busy R510;

image.png.e2ce485d44d397a58c6007548122d757.png 

Regarding the PERC6 controller, this is an older RAID controller which often comes with the R510 and R710.  They cannot support disk sizes over 2TB, but they can use anything smaller than 2TB without any issues.  The PERC6 is generally not recommended however as it is slow, try and find one with a H700 controller preferably to save yourself hassle.

3 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Not sure how much this would equate to on your power bill you would have to check with who pays for it and what rate they have;  Here are some stats from a busy R510;

image.png.e2ce485d44d397a58c6007548122d757.png 

Regarding the PERC6 controller, this is an older RAID controller which often comes with the R510 and R710.  They cannot support disk sizes over 2TB, but they can use anything smaller than 2TB without any issues.  The PERC6 is generally not recommended however as it is slow, try and find one with a H700 controller preferably to save yourself hassle.

6 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Steer clear of RAID controllers IMHO.  Some of them from that era do NOT work with newer OS's.

For power...

~130w x2 + ~40w for the board and RAM.  300w full tilt I would guess, though it could be as high as 400w with the high speed fans, drives, and other accessories.

ok thanks guys, for now is all i think.