Streaming Help - windows limitations dual screens at different refresh rates. (SOLVED)

Hey everyone,

I've recently built a new PC and I game and stream a fair bit. My old system could handle gaming and streaming on the same system no problems but my new and even more powerful rig feels crippled in comparison doing the same task.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my stream stutters and is not capable of 1080/720 60FPS. I've looked into everything, hardware and software until I discovered a problem with windows. My new display is 144hz and my old one which was relegated to a second screen is 60hz. It turns out windows has a panic attack if two screens at different refresh rates are running at the same time, prime example gaming on one and OBS on the other. So the moment any animation plays on the 60hz everything runs well below 60hz and stutters.

So my question is how the hell do I bypass this problem without having to cripple my main screen to 60hz? 

I take it you are running both screens from whatever your GPU is?

Best bet is to run the 60Hz from your iGPU or if your on a Ryzen without an iGPU get a cheap 2nd GPU for just that monitor.

1.) Fix one, avoid using Windowed/Borderless mode while gaming. Use Full Screen. 

2.) Kinda fix, disable VSync in NVIDIA Control Panel, avoid using Free Sync or GSync as well. 

@Dujith

That won't do anything. 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

21 minutes ago, Dujith said:

I take it you are running both screens from whatever your GPU is?

Best bet is to run the 60Hz from your iGPU or if your on a Ryzen without an iGPU get a cheap 2nd GPU for just that monitor.

i7 8700K and a Asus RTX 2080 OC

If I use the integrated graphics to run the second screen I will see a detrimental performance drop on my stream. I've seen it suggested elsewhere and its not a viable option unfortunately (I've tested it and it wasn't simple some mobo's don't even allow integrated and discrete at the same time).

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1.) Fix one, avoid using Windowed/Borderless mode while gaming. Use Full Screen. 

2.) Kinda fix, disable VSync in NVIDIA Control Panel, avoid using Free Sync or GSync as well. 

@Dujith

That won't do anything. 

Tried both of those to no avail!

1 hour ago, Peskanova said:

post from the link you shared:

Does this still happen if you go to NVIDIA Control Panel and then select to scale on GPU instead of Display?

Yes. This fixed. FFS. It's always the one setting you over look. 

Thanks fam, cheers for your efforts!