New 17 Inch Gaming Laptop

Okay, so I need a new Windows laptop for content creation, VR, and want to play graphical intensive games (think GTX 1070 Max-Q or higher or RTX 2070 Max-Q or higher) on it. I am fortunate that I do not have price concerns; I can pay whatever I need to. I want to order a laptop soon, as I might have a course that requires something specs like this, my current gaming laptop is dying, and I am getting quite worried that there has been no announcement of an upgrade. I don't care whether the laptop has G-SYNC or Optimus.

Must-have specs:
  • At least a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 Max-Q or RTX 2070 Max-Q.
  • A 6-core CPU.
  • The option to have or add at least 32 GB of RAM, either from the factory or added on after purchase.
  • At least 1 TB of storage option (or two or more drive bays).
  • At least one Thunderbolt 3 port.
  • Cannot require two or more power bricks.
  • Cannot have the ASUS Zephyrus style keyboard layout with the trackpad on the right.

What options would that leave me?

Just now, TrigrH said:

Honestly for VR id be looking at getting as much GPU horsepower as you can get.

Okay, so what do you think?

As long as it doesn't have two or more power bricks (like the Alienware Area 51m), it should be fine.

What about the Acer Predator Helios 500? I know it has the GTX 1070, but is it a good laptop (saw it on Dave Lee's channel and was interested)?

27 minutes ago, Wintermuted said:

What about the Acer Predator Helios 500? I know it has the GTX 1070, but is it a good laptop (saw it on Dave Lee's channel and was interested)?

I don't feel you will get satisfactory VR performance from a laptop 1070.

Oh, okay. But if I didn't need VR, would it be a good option. Because I can do without VR for now.

Well, I have a desktop with a GTX 1080, so I can use that for VR; the VR would have just been awesome; the lack of VR isn't a deal breaker, nor is battery life. So should I get the Predator Helios 500? (There's only one left in stock on Amazon's website.)

Also, I was looking at the Razer Blade Pro, but there were too many issues with it, from the overheating and 4 core CPU to the horror story that is Razer customer support.

3 minutes ago, Wintermuted said:

Well, I have a desktop with a GTX 1080, so I can use that for VR; the VR would have just been awesome; the lack of VR isn't a deal breaker, nor is battery life. So should I get the Predator Helios 500? (There's only one left in stock on Amazon's website.)

I honestly think you should look for laptops with more powerful graphics, you just need to remember laptop versions of gpu/cpu are generally clocked lower than what a desktop card can reach.

7 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I honestly think you should look for laptops with more powerful graphics, you just need to remember laptop versions of gpu/cpu are generally clocked lower than what a desktop card can reach.

I know laptop graphics cards are weaker than desktops. So which laptops are you thinking of?

6 minutes ago, Wintermuted said:

The Alienware Area 51m has two power bricks, as does the ASUS ROG G703GX, so they're out. The Zephyrus has the poor layout, so it's out. Is there anything like the Helios 500 that has an RTX card? And what are you thinking of when you mean "laptops with more powerful graphics"? I know laptop graphics cards are weaker than desktops.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,430,0)SkyX7C

this is fully configurable to how exactly you want it.

5 hours ago, Wintermuted said:
snip

Where are you from? No preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? No preference on weight and battery life?

I'm from the U.S. and battery life does not matter. I was looking at the Acer Predator Helios 500 or something similar, as it had a GTX 1070 and I heard from Dave Lee's video that it had great thermal performance.

10 hours ago, Wintermuted said:

battery life does not matter

No preference on weight?

10 hours ago, Wintermuted said:

as it had a GTX 1070 and I heard from Dave Lee's video that it had great thermal performance

Trition 500 has 2060/2070MQ/2080MQ. Thermals aren't great

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128