How is no one else having this problem with HDR??? (Volume Adjustment)

Vapour1ze
On 2/7/2020 at 3:41 PM, jeweettoch13 said:

Found the Culprit!

I uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers in safemode with DDU and checked the option to prevent windows driver installations and reinstalled version 419.17 where the Nvidia controlpanel is still in the driverpackage. All works flawless now. I will try to do the same with the newest version to see if all of the installation on top of eachother messed things up in the timeline. Still did always a clean install. Made a backup just in case.

*added info:

Drivers are working fine now. As long if you uninstall the old drivers in safemode with DDU so that everything is removed and install the newer ones also in safemode, but displaydriver only and dirty install, you should be fine.

Same issue as well and only recently have I decided to do something about.

I tried going into properties and disabling full screen optimization and I was able to get it working without the flickering for a week or so until the new drivers released. I then went to the game exe and did the same thing again but to avail. Don't know if it was a one time thing or not but I couldn't replicate the fix.

I just tried your DDU method and it seems to be working well. I'll try to update this post if it starts flickering again. Hopefully I don't have to keep running DDU and reinstalling the drivers everytime there's an update.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, ARzymski said:

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

Mine computer does the same thing.

nope, i just gave up long time ago, i do have a external dac, so i just turn windows volume to max then adjust volume from my dac, that way windows wont show the volume bar, i wont hold my breat h on microsoft fixing it either, considering hdr is relatively new and pretty rare on windows platform, they wont be fixing it for next few month if not years

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 6:59 AM, Vapour1ze said:

Ok - I caved, I bought an HDR display. Quick background. Yes I've rebooted, reinstalled gfx drivers, tried turning off freesync, on freesync, changing hz, matching hz, disabling the overlay, etc etc, etc.... 

The problem is, ever since adding an HDR monitor, while in-game, if I adjust volume, the screen will flash black, show the overlay, once the overlay for the volume is gone, the screen flashes black again. What it is doing is actually turning HDR OFF and ON each time. 

Now - Windows 10 , it's running in HDR, it's enabled in color settings in windows, it's enabled in nvidia control panel, brah brah brah... Now - here's the kicker, it doesn't even matter if it's an HDR game or SDR game, adjusting the volume in game will make any game flash black, until the over lay shows, and then disappears and then flashes again. My buddy (has an HDR screen different brand / model, same problem)  

For anyone who cares, it's an lg-34GK950F-B, and paired with a 2080ti,... After hours of google-foo I can't find similar issues, only relating to a "logitech keyboard problem" but I'm not using a logitech keyboard. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Sure, if I don't adjust volume it's fine and HDR works great when it's supposed to, and stays off when it's supposed to, but, I change my volume. A lot. 

If anyone has had a similar expierience it would be much appreciated. A video would probably be beneficial so maybe I'll try to post something up tonight. 

Cheers

Not sure if it helps. I had same issue so for awhile and without any luck. After hours of trying different things this actually worked. You go into your GeForce experience software and under settings you click on in game overlay and turn it off. Let me know if this worked out for you. I went into a game and I can put up volume with no black screen flickering when I mess with volume controls. I also disable G- Sync. Try both or one at a time.. hope it helps.

GeForce Experience 4_14_2020 8_59_47 PM_LI.jpg

NVIDIA Control Panel 4_14_2020 9_07_51 PM_LI.jpg

I recently created a post asking for help with this same problem, I just upgraded to a gtx 1080ti from a gtx 770 and been experiencing the same problem.. I also have a Logitech keyboard and when i turn the volume with the keyboard the screen goes black. It also happens when I press the big Xbox button on my Xbox One controller.I recently created a post asking for help with this same problem, I just upgraded to a gtx 1080ti from a gtx 770 and been experiencing the same problem.. I also have a Logitech keyboard and when i turn the volume with the keyboard the screen goes black. It also happens when I press the big Xbox button on my Xbox One controller.

In my caseit turned out to be the HDR On/Off settings in Windows. once I turned that off I could turn the volume and press the xbox button without the black screen happening.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz      Mobo: Asrock X-79 Extreme 4-M

Ram: G.SKILL TridentX Series 24GB             Graphics: Asus Turbo GTX 1080Ti 11GB SLI

Monitor: - Vizio M321i-A2 32", HP 27WM (x2) in Nvidia Surround 5760x1080  - Element E1SW2418M 1920x1080

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO LAN Box        HDD:Samsung 750 EVO SSD         PSU: Corsair AX1200i           Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard

Game Keyboard: Logitech G13 Joystick         Mouse: Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse       Headset: Logitech G633 Gaming Headset

I have the issue if HDR is turned on in Windows and I am running a game full-screen (COD Modern Warfare). Anytime I press the volume shortcut keys on the keyboard, or the Xbox Home button to pull up the Xbox Game Bar overlay (I play with controller), it will do the flicker to SDR and the screen will go black until the overlay pops up then the screen will go black as it switches back to HDR after the notification overlay goes away. This applies to any notification you get while playing in full-screen with HDR enabled. If I get an Xbox party invite while playing (using the Xbox Windows Companion App), it will cause my screen to go black while the notification displays and it will do the same once the notification disappears. The only workaround I have found is to disable HDR under Windows HD Color Settings or to play in Full-screen Border-less mode. However, the game will not run as smoothly in border-less mode. You can also disable windows notifications to prevent this, but I do not think you can disable the volume up/down overlay that comes up when using keyboard shortcuts. For now, I am just playing with HDR turned off in Windows settings since I like to be able to play music and capture clips without risking my life waiting for the screen to flicker back on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, Vapour1ze said:

Ok - I caved, I bought an HDR display. Quick background. Yes I've rebooted, reinstalled gfx drivers, tried turning off freesync, on freesync, changing hz, matching hz, disabling the overlay, etc etc, etc.... 

The problem is, ever since adding an HDR monitor, while in-game, if I adjust volume, the screen will flash black, show the overlay, once the overlay for the volume is gone, the screen flashes black again. What it is doing is actually turning HDR OFF and ON each time. 

Now - Windows 10 , it's running in HDR, it's enabled in color settings in windows, it's enabled in nvidia control panel, brah brah brah... Now - here's the kicker, it doesn't even matter if it's an HDR game or SDR game, adjusting the volume in game will make any game flash black, until the over lay shows, and then disappears and then flashes again. My buddy (has an HDR screen different brand / model, same problem)  

For anyone who cares, it's an lg-34GK950F-B, and paired with a 2080ti,... After hours of google-foo I can't find similar issues, only relating to a "logitech keyboard problem" but I'm not using a logitech keyboard. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Sure, if I don't adjust volume it's fine and HDR works great when it's supposed to, and stays off when it's supposed to, but, I change my volume. A lot. 

If anyone has had a similar expierience it would be much appreciated. A video would probably be beneficial so maybe I'll try to post something up tonight. 

Cheers

Same problem here. Got blackwidow elite paired with the razer monitor. Tried disabling the rgb on the volume rocker, but it hasn't changed anything. It's the weirdest issue

My friends! I found a fix!

Not too long ago I was trying to play crysis Warhead, but it doesn't have a borderless mode so it caps at 50hz. There is a program on steam (or a free .exe download) called borderless gaming. I just used it on Hitman 2 and it fixed my issue! Tries with RDR2, also fixed! Try it out and let me know if it works for you!

I was googling my own issue and came across this thread by chance, and you all seem to share a similar problem with me, and the culprit seems to be Windows 10's OSD.

I don't have HDR but I do have a Freesync monitor and when ever I change the volume (or more generally, when any Windows 10 OSD pops up), my frame rate tanks and stutters for the duration that the pop-up is visible (although FPS counters don't seem to catch it).

I did find two potential workarounds, depending on the game these have worked (for some games they don't work at all):

1. Play in windowed borderless mode, if possible.
  2. Disabling Fullscreen Optimisations (FSO) on the .exe properties.

I might try HideVolumeOSD and see if that works too.

• 3 weeks later...

I fixed this by updating my monitors drivers it was showing my monitor as a generic pnp monitor and when I updated the drivers it showed it as the correct monitor and the problem went away 

The previously mentioned HideVolumeOSD program didn't work for me; despite the OSD being hidden, the performance impact still occurred. I did a deep dive into this and I have produced my own program which hides the OSD and stops the performance impact. It's not permanent and only works while the program is running. I don't know if this would fix the HDR flicker, but it's possible as that likely stems from the same issue. If anybody here is interested in trying, please do so and let me know of any issues.

I've uploaded this to Github. Source code and compiled binaries are supplied. AV software may be triggered because it hooks into explorer.exe.

With the Windows 10 May Feature Update rolling out, this program may break or no longer be needed, but we'll see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, win10_always_something said:

The previously mentioned HideVolumeOSD program didn't work for me; despite the OSD being hidden, the performance impact still occurred. I did a deep dive into this and I have produced my own program which hides the OSD and stops the performance impact. It's not permanent and only works while the program is running. I don't know if this would fix the HDR flicker, but it's possible as that likely stems from the same issue. If anybody here is interested in trying, please do so and let me know of any issues.

I've uploaded this to Github. Source code and compiled binaries are supplied. AV software may be triggered because it hooks into explorer.exe.

With the Windows 10 May Feature Update rolling out, this program may break or no longer be needed, but we'll see what happens.

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

YOU ARE AMAZING.

I've been looking for a fix for this for over a year and now I can finally game in peace. Thank you! 

I'm on Windows 10 Version 2004 by the way.

If anyone is still having this issue with full screen HDR only working when the OSD for volume is displayed, I've found a very easy fix that works 100% of the time for me. All I did was go into Game bar (Windows+G) and enable the overlay for Performance. That's it. It also seemed to work with the party chat overlay, too. It seems like any Windows 10 overlay with the "modern" design (volume, music, game bar, etc) will do the trick, so I kept it simple with the performance overlay and now I've got 100% HDR in full screen on PUBG.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem as well with my Predator X35 for a while and I can FINALLY confirm, This Problem has been fixed with the latest Nvidia Driver Update (21/06/2020 - 27.21.14.5148).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i was silent reader but this time I've created an account to confirmed that this issue is fixed. I have had the same problem like you all with LG GL850B 

Currently i have:

Nvidia driver: 451.67

Not sure if rest has influence.

Windows 10 Build 2004

VRR and Hardware-accelerated GPU enabled

Windows Game mode - disabled - tests shows that in practice it reduce fps

I don't have any flickering any more. For now, when I adjust audio a  background become blur for a while but this is acceptable for me. No more flickering.  :)

I can not believe that it took so long.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, Vapour1ze said:

Cheers

Having the same issue on my 1080ti as i activate the hdr from windows settings even my mouse courser change color and it become lagy ( hang hang) for few seconds then after few seconds the courser color come back to normal and the mouse works normal second issue is when i play game on hdr and when i change the valume up or down game display become horrible with valume overlay . Click the link and see all the HDR issue on my 1080ti in windows 10 

https://youtu.be/tRUwkP26sxI

1 hour ago, kaif kahn said:

Having the same issue on my 1080ti as i activate the hdr from windows settings even my mouse courser change color and it become lagy ( hang hang) for few seconds then after few seconds the courser color come back to normal and the mouse works normal second issue is when i play game on hdr and when i change the valume up or down game display become horrible with valume overlay . Click the link and see all the HDR issue on my 1080ti in windows 10 

https://youtu.be/tRUwkP26sxI

Thanks for your video. I have the exact same issue with you. In my case, it even occurs when I play SDR videos on youtube in full screen with Google Chrome, then cause colour shifting.

After the screen going black with Windows volume control overlay, the SDR youtube videos do appear as though I didn’t turn HDR ON in Windows 10. The colour tone/temperature/profile looks entirely different from stuff running in non-full screen mode.

Does anyone facing the issue with Youtube as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

I have the same problem with volume or gamebar notifications... the last drivers from Nvidia doesn't fixed anything for me :/

Some people still have this problem?

On 4/21/2020 at 11:46 PM, bwheeler2008 said:

I have the issue if HDR is turned on in Windows and I am running a game full-screen (COD Modern Warfare). Anytime I press the volume shortcut keys on the keyboard, or the Xbox Home button to pull up the Xbox Game Bar overlay (I play with controller), it will do the flicker to SDR and the screen will go black until the overlay pops up then the screen will go black as it switches back to HDR after the notification overlay goes away. This applies to any notification you get while playing in full-screen with HDR enabled. If I get an Xbox party invite while playing (using the Xbox Windows Companion App), it will cause my screen to go black while the notification displays and it will do the same once the notification disappears. The only workaround I have found is to disable HDR under Windows HD Color Settings or to play in Full-screen Border-less mode. However, the game will not run as smoothly in border-less mode. You can also disable windows notifications to prevent this, but I do not think you can disable the volume up/down overlay that comes up when using keyboard shortcuts. For now, I am just playing with HDR turned off in Windows settings since I like to be able to play music and capture clips without risking my life waiting for the screen to flicker back on.

Still have this problem?

• 4 months later...

Work Around.

Hey all, not ideal and only for those that have more than one monitor but i figure thats a fair amount of people these days.

I just set one of my 2 none gaming monitors to "Set this as my main display" 

That way the gaming monitor doesnt try and display the game with HDR and the windows notification at the same time and freak out. Happily game on the 144 monitor while my 60hz webpage viewer rocks the volume up / volume down / notifications etc.

Hope this helps someone, very annoying issue!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing there is still no concrete fix for this? I'm having HDR picture turn super saturated for like 3 seconds every time I use anything other than the volume slider on the desktop, so keyboard macro or headphone scroll wheel...

before I started encountering this problem on Destiny 2 and Tony Hawk PS1 + PS2..where the display would be permanently look this way anytime I turned on HDR, it would be so deep fried looking that i couldnt even see the HDR calibration tools in game to adjust anything. It took me months to realize it was the Phillips Hue Light Sync software causing it to do it..I've seen post dating back to 4 years ago with these issues and it's insane that there still isn't an official fix. Here's a few screenshots of what Hue's Light Sync software was and still does cause HDR to look like..

142070167_1425970681087496_6129354199401502301_n.jpg

142163801_168255058061411_7090540033546602835_n.jpg

142089802_173277170804768_6972584198789502947_n.jpg

142466933_695505284468240_5785645199411414602_n.jpg

Holy Sh**. I actually Found a fix for my situation, I had almost given up for the night on this once a month hunt to find some kind of fix for this and after a year of searching, I found it exactly where I knew I would..in the middle of the comments with 3 likes on a youtube video with like 2k views.

It's totally fixed the the 2 or 3 second color saturation of HDR after turning volume up with my headset and keyboard, Hue light Sync even works for me now!!

here it is..

@TheRevvone

This PC Local Disk (C:)

Program Files (x86)

Now whatever program/game

Find the .exe for that program/game

Right click —> Properties Tab at the top compatibility

Check the Disable FullScreen optimization box

If that doesn’t work, try looking for the 64 bit .exe for the same program/game and repeating the same steps.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys , I’ve had the LGGN950-B for about a month now working fine and then today I got a razer huntsman elite and got this problem. These posts are from 2019 so this is crazy ! Anybody find a fix !?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, Vapour1ze said:

Ch

I too have this issue.  It has nothing to do with the keyboard or mouse as my headphone or keyboard both cause the issue.  All firmware is latest at all times.  Corsair set.  Monitor is samsung qled.  1080 ti

Turning off hdr is the only fix I've found after experimenting with every setting possible in both windows and nvid control panel.

The only thing I didn't try was registry modification and nvidia-smi tweaks.

LITTERALLY IS DEFEATING THE ENTIRE PURPUSE OF HAVING AN HDR MONITOR!!!!

So frustrated...  : )  happy face tho

• 1 month later...

Same problems here.  Plus, somewhat random, after 10 minutes of gaming, a game can suddenly lose Windows focus (as if I alt-tabbed, but I didn't), it switches back to desktop.  I have to alt-tab to get back to the game (where I usually have died by then).

I can confirm AMD Radeon 6800 XT produces the exact same problems described by Nvidia users here.  Dark Souls games are a good example of the color switch when HDR enabled and changing volume during an SDR game. 

My LG B9 also has to show me its HDR icon several times per hour as well (guess it's so proud of its capabilities, it can't contain itself).  Wouldn't mind if it was only once at Windows startup but HDR notification appears every game, sometimes several times in same game/session.  Similar problem to LG's Instant Game Response notification but I managed to get rid of it, can't do anything with HDR notification.

Still waiting for solutions (ones that keep HDR enabled and allow exclusive full screen -- its becoming more std to have to run in full screen to get control of game refresh rates and other settings).

• 5 months later...

Old thread I know...

However, I've frequently encountered this blanking/flickering HDR problem too. It was more frequent in YouTube Playback across various browsers, than it was in games for me. And I found the first actual fix that is working consistently now. Open Properties on the ".exe" file of the problematic program. Under the 'Compatibility' tab, select the "Change high DPI settings" button. In the new window, check the first box under the Program DPI section at the top. You should now be able to use the corresponding dropdown menu to adjust "Use the DPI that's set for my main display when". Change this from the default "I signed in to Windows" to the second option "I opened this program". As shown in the image below.
I hope this works for others. I'm not sure how this fixes it. My guess is that during sign-in Windows is setting your DPI at some point before all of your devices/drivers/software have loaded. Total guess!

1530395307_Screenshot2021-10-02194003.thumb.png.da2d84d805c274c1e4c5b4837face990.png