How is no one else having this problem with HDR??? (Volume Adjustment)

Vapour1ze

Ok - I caved, I bought an HDR display. Quick background. Yes I've rebooted, reinstalled gfx drivers, tried turning off freesync, on freesync, changing hz, matching hz, disabling the overlay, etc etc, etc.... 

The problem is, ever since adding an HDR monitor, while in-game, if I adjust volume, the screen will flash black, show the overlay, once the overlay for the volume is gone, the screen flashes black again. What it is doing is actually turning HDR OFF and ON each time. 

Now - Windows 10 , it's running in HDR, it's enabled in color settings in windows, it's enabled in nvidia control panel, brah brah brah... Now - here's the kicker, it doesn't even matter if it's an HDR game or SDR game, adjusting the volume in game will make any game flash black, until the over lay shows, and then disappears and then flashes again. My buddy (has an HDR screen different brand / model, same problem)  

For anyone who cares, it's an lg-34GK950F-B, and paired with a 2080ti,... After hours of google-foo I can't find similar issues, only relating to a "logitech keyboard problem" but I'm not using a logitech keyboard. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Sure, if I don't adjust volume it's fine and HDR works great when it's supposed to, and stays off when it's supposed to, but, I change my volume. A lot. 

If anyone has had a similar expierience it would be much appreciated. A video would probably be beneficial so maybe I'll try to post something up tonight. 

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Vapour1ze said:

Ok - I caved, I bought an HDR display. Quick background. Yes I've rebooted, reinstalled gfx drivers, tried turning off freesync, on freesync, changing hz, matching hz, disabling the overlay, etc etc, etc.... 

The problem is, ever since adding an HDR monitor, while in-game, if I adjust volume, the screen will flash black, show the overlay, once the overlay for the volume is gone, the screen flashes black again. What it is doing is actually turning HDR OFF and ON each time. 

Now - Windows 10 , it's running in HDR, it's enabled in color settings in windows, it's enabled in nvidia control panel, brah brah brah... Now - here's the kicker, it doesn't even matter if it's an HDR game or SDR game, adjusting the volume in game will make any game flash black, until the over lay shows, and then disappears and then flashes again. My buddy (has an HDR screen different brand / model, same problem)  

For anyone who cares, it's an lg-34GK950F-B, and paired with a 2080ti,... After hours of google-foo I can't find similar issues, only relating to a "logitech keyboard problem" but I'm not using a logitech keyboard. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Sure, if I don't adjust volume it's fine and HDR works great when it's supposed to, and stays off when it's supposed to, but, I change my volume. A lot. 

If anyone has had a similar expierience it would be much appreciated. A video would probably be beneficial so maybe I'll try to post something up tonight. 

Cheers

Im no expert but the Firmware or Software on that Keyboard is causing this.

My Zalman Z600 gaming Keyboard does the same thing on my 1600x900 Hannspree display from like forever ago.  (causes a slight screen flicker when I use the keyboard sound adjustment buttons when Im in a game)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

15 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Im no expert but the Firmware or Software on that Keyboard is causing this.

My Zalman Z600 gaming Keyboard does the same thing on my 1600x900 Hannspree display from like forever ago.  (causes a slight screen flicker when I use the keyboard sound adjustment buttons when Im in a game)

I would like to assume you are correct. I am using a huntsman elite... One thing I honestly haven't tried is a different keyboard. HOWEVER - I have taken it upon myself to install a script to disable the overlay of volume in Windows 10 assuming maybe it was the overlay breaking it... But - no dice, even with the overlay disabled, it still flickrs the screen and goes to HDR OFF / HDR ON / etc  and again, it does not matter if it's a SDR or HDR game and, it does it. Perhaps I can try a differnet keyboard tonight just to rule that out, but I'm not very optimistic about that... 

Just now, Vapour1ze said:

I would like to assume you are correct. I am using a huntsman elite... One thing I honestly haven't tried is a different keyboard. HOWEVER - I have taken it upon myself to install a script to disable the overlay of volume in Windows 10 assuming maybe it was the overlay breaking it... But - no dice, even with the overlay disabled, it still flickrs the screen and goes to HDR OFF / HDR ON / etc  and again, it does not matter if it's a SDR or HDR game and, it does it. Perhaps I can try a differnet keyboard tonight just to rule that out, but I'm not very optimistic about that... 

That's the only reason I replied - I have witnessed the same and have correlated it to the Firmware of the keyboard.  Even if the overlay is disabled does it not still perform the same function in the background to adjust the volume within Windows 10?  That would be the next place to isolate whats causing the issue (I would think, no expert at all just trying to problem solve) is potentially the communication that is occurring during that timeframe shutting

Sounds like its a Windows issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-fullscreen-problems/33e7e516-3364-4949-bdb0-6dfac9745fdb

Does this issue occur when you are in Windowed mode, not full screen?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Oh - and I guess I didn't mention, it doesn't happen while just in Windows or any other app... Only while in a full screen game... If I'm in Windowed Mode, it doesn't happen either. 

Cheers.

Just now, Vapour1ze said:

Oh - and I guess I didn't mention, it doesn't happen while just in Windows or any other app... Only while in a full screen game... If I'm in Windowed Mode, it doesn't happen either. 

Cheers.

What Im reading is that this is a known problem unless you use Windowed mode or Borderless mode.

Here is the only suggestion I have seen from a moderator on a forum that no one replied that it worked or not (so it either worked and they questioners went away or it didn't, maybe try?)

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/HDR-PC-HDR-doesn-t-work-unless-windows-volume-overlay-is/td-p/7268596

Hey guys, as you are no doubt aware HDR on some of the monitors can be a little touchy so the first thing to do is them reset your monitor to factory default, the process to do so will differ on each make and model but the option should be in your monitor settings menu. Once done, verify that you everything has been set back to default and then go into your Windows settings and set up HDR again, you can find the steps to do so here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

If leaving HDR on you will need to use the SDR Content slider to adjust settings so that non HDR content doesn't look washed out though for testing purposes you can just turn off HDR as once you select it in game it should automatically be enabled. 

Next thing to do is launch BFV and set everything back to default. Once done you will need to redo the HDR calibration and make sure that you do it to just the point where any boxes or content disappears, on my Samsung HDR monitor I had issues with BF1 in that if I did not make the box disappear the HDR content appeared washed out.

Also, can you ensure that your monitor is running the most up to date firmware. As I understand it some Samsung monitors will have different firmware updates depending on size and it is not a one size fits all scenario. Having the incorrect firmware or an out of date one can cause issues.

Basically it turns it off then back on

same happens for me using ulmb if I adjust volume it turn to normal screen then back once overlay is gone

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Basically it turns it off then back on

same happens for me using ulmb if I adjust volume it turn to normal screen then back once overlay is gone

Yes - exactly my problem. 

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

What Im reading is that this is a known problem unless you use Windowed mode or Borderless mode.

Here is the only suggestion I have seen from a moderator on a forum that no one replied that it worked or not (so it either worked and they questioners went away or it didn't, maybe try?)

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/HDR-PC-HDR-doesn-t-work-unless-windows-volume-overlay-is/td-p/7268596

Hey guys, as you are no doubt aware HDR on some of the monitors can be a little touchy so the first thing to do is them reset your monitor to factory default, the process to do so will differ on each make and model but the option should be in your monitor settings menu. Once done, verify that you everything has been set back to default and then go into your Windows settings and set up HDR again, you can find the steps to do so here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

If leaving HDR on you will need to use the SDR Content slider to adjust settings so that non HDR content doesn't look washed out though for testing purposes you can just turn off HDR as once you select it in game it should automatically be enabled. 

Next thing to do is launch BFV and set everything back to default. Once done you will need to redo the HDR calibration and make sure that you do it to just the point where any boxes or content disappears, on my Samsung HDR monitor I had issues with BF1 in that if I did not make the box disappear the HDR content appeared washed out.

Also, can you ensure that your monitor is running the most up to date firmware. As I understand it some Samsung monitors will have different firmware updates depending on size and it is not a one size fits all scenario. Having the incorrect firmware or an out of date one can cause issues.

Interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Vapour1ze said:

Yes - exactly my problem. 

It’s a driver thing as hdr and ulmb both requires full screen and the overlay pulls u out of full screen 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Just now, Ebony Falcon said:

It’s a driver thing as hdr and ulmb both requires full screen and the overlay pulls u out of full screen 

But - again. I disabled the overlay so it doesn't pop up. Same problem occurs. 

7 minutes ago, Vapour1ze said:

But - again. I disabled the overlay so it doesn't pop up. Same problem occurs. 

That's why I am of the opinion that its the communication still happening (driver side/monitor and keyboard firmware side - btw I could be using the wrong terms on this, Im a hardware guy not software), while you are just not getting the visual affect displayed on your screen when disabling the overlay.

Id give the above I previously posted a go, ensuring all the things are all the things mentioned by that bro

I'll try this out tonight and report back.

Ah! Found a exact replication of the issue here: 

I use a LG HDR monitor along with a 2080 ti as well.

If I touch the volume on my K70 keyboard while playing a HDR game the images changes to what you get if you force HDR(HDR effect) to a non HDR game.

I avoid this by using the volume knob on my speaker remote.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 minutes ago, jones177 said:

I use a LG HDR monitor along with a 2080 ti as well.

If I touch the volume on my K70 keyboard while playing a HDR game the images changes to what you get if you force HDR(HDR effect) to a non HDR game.

I avoid this by using the volume knob on my speaker remote.

That's what I've been doing, but super annoying. I guess we can't have "everything" but I am so used to constantly adjusting with keyboard/mouse shortcuts it makes it annoying. Guess I'll have to move my headphone schiit stack closer. 

i play everything on windowed mode, most of the time 4k, sometimes 1440p with or without resolution scaling, running hdr in full screen instead of full screen windowed will cause problems. Just make sure to not enable hdr in windows and the game for color distortions.

It's not that no one else has problems, hdr monitors are 0.2% of the market, it's not even worth the time for drivers and updates lol.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

• 1 month later...

Made an account just to respond to this as it is the first such post I have found after trying anything I can think of to avoid this problem. Love HDR, but also love spotify and volume controls. Either breaks me out of the game, which in my case is sim racing so if I need to adjust anything during a race I just have to suck it up. 

Let me know if you figure anything out buddy. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem but with a twist. I change the volume, hdr turns off, it goes on again, but all colors are messed up. At that point I need to tab in and out to get everything working again. 

Bad times, please fix. 

• 2 months later...

I just bought a Corsair one i60 and this HDR/volume issue is SO annoying. Is it confirmed a win10 issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same exact problem.
Pressing CTRL or rolling the volume wheel, causes HDR to toggle off and on again.
Has anyone found a solution yet, its ruining my new monitor and gaming for me. Boo

samsung c49rg90
Windows 10
2080ti
i7 8700k
16gb Ram

• 1 month later...

And here is the next.

Windows 10, Acer X35 (HDR, G-Sync, 3440x1440), 2080 ti, Logitech G710 Keyboard.

Monitor drivers and Nvidia drivers updated/installed.

First noted: Blackscreen flickers (1-2 sec) in HDR mode in Destiny2. If Windows set to HDR mode blackscreens ocurred in desktop mode, too.

After reading this thread I found out: using keyboard volume wheel causes color distortion for 1-2 sec (HDR going rampant), than setting back to normal HDR.

Edit: Blackouts seem to be gone with newest Logitech Gaming Software, 2s color distortion after using volume still there.

• 1 month later...

Gonna necro this, got a hdr tv and hooked it up to my pc the other day, same issue. Ran DDU trying to fix the issue, same thing. I also have issues though exiting the game, or even booting windows sometimes. WIll have to turn the tv off and on just to fix it.

Only fix that ever worked for me is to just go into Windows 10 Settings and turn HDR off.   Afaik, Microsoft just broke pc gaming with their HDR implementation and left it busted for like what now, six months.  Amazing that they would do this to their own key business.