DVD Back up Software DVDFab

Hi all i am using Plex on my HTPC and have a 2TB HDD with some films in digital format on it I also use DVDFab to convert the DVD into a digital format but the quality is not 100% there is so many settings to play with frame rate aspect e.t.c so my Question is does any one use DVDFab and if so is there a generic setting to get a good copy?

or is there a better solution out there i just want to be able to put a DVD in convert it and put DVD's in a big box in the loft.

HD play back is a must i have 50" TV so a good quality conversion is important.

I thank you all for any input you might have :)  

Higher bitrates result in better image quality, assuming the source (DVD) bitrate is reasonably high. 3-9Mbit/s is typical of DVD video. 

Also unless I'm mistaken, DVD is typically 480p. The only way that'll ever get to 720p is through up-scaling while ripping the DVD, which won't really look as good. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

DVDFab can work pretty well... But...

Are you looking for images of the disc, or is just having the main feature what you are after? Is storage space going to be a problem(number of films)?

There is a program called MakeMkv that allows you make a lossless copy of a main feature (just the movie). It is a little more hands on but it is pretty easy to use.

i just use makemkv and since my monitor is too good for these movies i just cope with it.

makemkv is REALLY easy to use.

The Syndicate

DVDFab can work pretty well... But...

Are you looking for images of the disc, or is just having the main feature what you are after? Is storage space going to be a problem(number of films)?

There is a program called MakeMkv that allows you make a lossless copy of a main feature (just the movie). It is a little more hands on but it is pretty easy to use.

Hi thanks for the reply 

No space does not matter i herd that MKV is the best format  and just the move is fine  :) i do not think that plex plays a DVD image so MKV is fine thanks  :D

Higher bitrates result in better image quality, assuming the source (DVD) bitrate is reasonably high. 3-9Mbit/s is typical of DVD video. 

Also unless I'm mistaken, DVD is typically 480p. The only way that'll ever get to 720p is through up-scaling while ripping the DVD, which won't really look as good. 

I have tried higher bitrates and most of the film is not to bad but can be a bit jumpy at times and when a scene in the movie is dark it goes blocky a bit like mine craft lol 

i just use makemkv and since my monitor is too good for these movies i just cope with it.

makemkv is REALLY easy to use.

i will have a look  :)

Hi thanks for the reply 

No space does not matter i herd that MKV is the best format  and just the move is fine  :) i do not think that plex plays a DVD image so MKV is fine thanks  :D

MKV is the most versatile container. Its not actually a format. MKV can allow one to store various format video files, including mpeg2 from DVDs. The MakeMKV program is likely your best bet if quality is important and there is no re-encoding of the files. It basically takes the file and "remuxes" it into a mkv file. Plex will not have any problem reading and playing these files.

DVDFab can do the same thing, but I find MakeMKV easier to use.

I have tried MakeMKV and the quality did not seem that good the size ratio was weird to it was square lol :wacko:  

I have tried MakeMKV and the quality did not seem that good the size ratio was weird to it was square lol :wacko:  

I am over 500 movies and shows deep so it works very well. 

Select only the stuff you need in the DVD then that will produce an MakeMKV file. 

You will take that file and put it into Handbrake. Typically the standard settings work fine but you may want to play with it to get the file size you like.

I am over 500 movies and shows deep so it works very well. 

Select only the stuff you need in the DVD then that will produce an MakeMKV file. 

You will take that file and put it into Handbrake. Typically the standard settings work fine but you may want to play with it to get the file size you like.

Thank you so much for the help  :)  i will have a play with it do i have to put the MKV it into Handbrake  :huh: ?

Thank you so much for the help  :)  i will have a play with it do i have to put the MKV it into Handbrake  :huh: ?

You will use MakeMKV to pull the info off of the CD. That will produce an MKV file.

You take that file and put it into Handbrake and encode it. That will spit out a smaller mp4 file.

You will use MakeMKV to pull the info off of the CD. That will produce an MKV file.

You take that file and put it into Handbrake and encode it. That will spit out a smaller mp4 file.

Cool will have ago over the week end and thanks again  :)

MultiQuote