Dell Poweredge 2850 OS install

So today i picked up a dell poweredge 2850 with duel xeon 5450s 16gb of ram and 6 x 146 gb hard drives a 4e/Di raid controller. As far as i can tell everything has been whipped clean and it has latest bios. I have a portable hard (couldnt find a flash drive of course) setup as a bootable drive with windows server 2008 r2 but i cant seem to get the server to detect the drive to install it

do you mean 2950, the 2850 doesn't support those chips. Please return that if you can, its old, power hungry, and something newer isn't much more, much more power efficent, and better supported.

How did you make the bootable usb?

Why 2008r2? Might aswell run 2019 or 2016 on it.

EDIT: make a raid array aswell, if you haven't already.

that machines drive controller will not be in the standard controller that windows has.

so essentially the windows install disk is basically a tiny os that loads up some drivers so it can run the install program. the disk does't have a driver to recognize the 6 hdds you have , so you have to download that driver and install it before the installation can begin.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

do you mean 2950, the 2850 doesn't support those chips. Please return that if you can, its old, power hungry, and something newer isn't much more, much more power efficent, and better supported.

How did you make the bootable usb?

Why 2008r2? Might aswell run 2019 or 2016 on it.

EDIT: make a raid array aswell, if you haven't already.

I just looked at it and it is a 2850 but youre right its not 5450s im not sure exactly what cpu is has but the ID is f43 and for what i paid im not gonna bring it back.

I set the usb up like ive setup every other i just copy the install files from the ISO on the drive.

i just chose to do 2008r2 cause its known supported and ive read of people getting 2012 to work but they didnt say how.

I also have two of the drives in a raid 0

9 hours ago, emosun said:

that machines drive controller will not be in the standard controller that windows has.

so essentially the windows install disk is basically a tiny os that loads up some drivers so it can run the install program. the disk does't have a driver to recognize the 6 hdds you have , so you have to download that driver and install it before the installation can begin.

Which drive is that the only thing ive seen people install is the F6 driver and that needs an OS from what ive seen

6 hours ago, GeneralCanadian said:

I just looked at it and it is a 2850 but youre right its not 5450s im not sure exactly what cpu is has but the ID is f43 and for what i paid im not gonna bring it back.

I set the usb up like ive setup every other i just copy the install files from the ISO on the drive.

i just chose to do 2008r2 cause its known supported and ive read of people getting 2012 to work but they didnt say how.

I also have two of the drives in a raid 0

That system is very old then.

Try a linux distro to see if the drives show up.

My guess is you need to put a driver on a cd or floppy and add that during install.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That system is very old then.

Try a linux distro to see if the drives show up.

My guess is you need to put a driver on a cd or floppy and add that during install.

Ill give distro a shot and ive ordered some cds to try with windows 

the 2850 is Super Super Super Old. I pay people to take away stuff that's 10 years newer than that.

2008R2 removed support for the PERC4e. you'll need to use original 2008 or 2003

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-OS-Forum/Windows-Server-2012-on-PowerEdge-2800/td-p/3978790

which again, is so damn old whats the point.