Wait for navi or buy rtx 2060?

Remikp04

If you don't want to pay for the rtx 2070 and it's nonsense of a price, then there is one other option that people always sideline and always throw into the bin without consideration. And that is Vega 64. If you don't mind the power consumption, this IS without doubt the gpu for 1440p as of right now. And here's why:

1. It performs slightly worse than the rtx 2070, but it's still capable at a cheaper price.

2. It maintains the 8gb of vram which is important for the future at 1440p

3. It will LAST LONGER than the 2060 and the 2070 because of HBCC. HBCC isn't needed right now, but people forget that eventually it will be useful. Vega 64 will keep stable framerates in 2 years time even at 4k while the 2070 will be dropping frames for days. AMD's recent research about HBCC on their website shows that even now, games like black ops 4 and far cry 5 (with hd texture pack) like more than 8gb of vram at 4k. In maximum 2 years that will also apply to 1440p. 

Or alternatively if you don't like the vega 64's power consumption, wait for navi. Despite what some seem to say, this will have a gpu flagship that more or less matches the 1080/2070/Vega 64 that will have that 8gb of vram and that will be important at 1440p very soon.

4 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

If you don't want to pay for the rtx 2070 and it's nonsense of a price, then there is one other option that people always sideline and always throw into the bin without consideration. And that is Vega 64. If you don't mind the power consumption, this IS without doubt the gpu for 1440p as of right now. And here's why:

1. It performs slightly worse than the rtx 2070, but it's still capable at a cheaper price.

3. It will LAST LONGER than the 2060 and the 2070 because of HBCC. HBCC isn't needed right now, but people forget that eventually it will be useful. Vega 64 will keep stable framerates in 2 years time even at 4k while the 2070 will be dropping frames for days. AMD's recent research about HBCC on their website shows that even now, games like black ops 4 and far cry 5 (with hd texture pack) like more than 8gb of vram at 4k. In maximum 2 years that will also apply to 1440p. 

Or alternatively if you don't like the vega 64's power consumption, wait for navi. Despite what some seem to say, this will have a gpu flagship that more or less matches the 1080/2070/Vega 64 that will have that 8gb of vram and that will be important at 1440p very soon.

So basically, either get Vega 64 or wait for navi?

5 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Also I dont really wanna get Vega because of the noise and temps and I have a quite old 750W psu, and I wanna upgrade cpu from r5 1600 and dont really want to upgrade my gpu.

1 minute ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Yes.

What's the best Vega 64

2 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Yes.

Another thing, I'm gonna be getting my gpu on finance and I cant find Vega 64 for a good price anyway that does finance for 1 year.

1 minute ago, Remikp04 said:

What's the best Vega 64

A sapphire one is always a solid option if you don't know what is good and what's not.

13 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

A sapphire one is always a solid option if you don't know what is good and what's not.

What about a used gtx 1080 g1 gaming from gigabyte for 350?

2 minutes ago, Remikp04 said:

What about a used gtx 1080 g1 gaming from gigabyte for 350?

That's fine as well I guess.

Tough call here 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

7 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

That's fine as well I guess.

Just realized tho, I need to get it on finance, so a new gpu. So unless I can find a good Vega 64 fir a good price, I should stick with my gtx 1060 till navi?

Just now, Remikp04 said:

Just realized tho, I need to get it on finance, so a new gpu. So unless I can find a good Vega 64 fir a good price, I should stick with my gtx 1060 till navi?

Yes.

1 minute ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I had the 8gb rx580 and went to a rtx 2060. I sold the 580 for $125, and sold the anthem code for $40. It ended up costing me $235 to do this switch and that is going with a $400 strix 2060, a base model card would of cost me under $200 total. 

I gained 50% + in fps, that to me was well worth it. I use a 1080p 144hz monitor so the extra power helps me push higher framerates in the games I play which is much appreciated. I went from 60fps to 100+ at max settings, if that’s worth it to you then switch, if not find a new plan. 

Ngl, that seems like a good fucking deal? I could sell my gtx 1060 6gb for roughly the same and tbh the metro code I could discount too from the gpu since I'd buy it anuway

1 minute ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Yes.

Wait, I'll probably need 6gb+ vram if I were to play 1440p ultra in 2 years, I doubt I will be, by then the rtx 2060 will probably be a like 1440p 60fps on high maybe? And I think that would be fine?

That’s what I did it ended up working out great for me. By the time you need to sell the card you’ll get what you paid for it or close to it and buy into whatever else is new. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

2 minutes ago, Remikp04 said:

Wait, I'll probably need 6gb+ vram if I were to play 1440p ultra in 2 years, I doubt I will be, by then the rtx 2060 will probably be a like 1440p 60fps on high maybe? And I think that would be fine?

I bought a new monitor this year and I really struggled with picking it. My best friend bought 1440p 144hz and he got a 2080 with it before I bought my stuff. I watched what he was getting framerate wise and at what settings. 

That helped me realize I’d rather run 1080p 144hz and be able to use a less expensive card and upgrade it every 3-4 years. I can’t justify spending $800 on a card for 1440p when a $350 card runs 1080p like a dream. It’s not a budget thing either, I could buy a 2080 right now but it’s not worth it for what I do 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

This is a bad idea, 60fps on a 144hz panel doesn't look as fluid as on a 60-70hz panel, the rtx 2060 is a nice card but it wont be able to do 1440p at ~100fps for more demanding games (which is the least you need for an 144hz panel). Either go for a better card or give up on some of those Hz.

I currently have a 1080p 144hz and a gtx 1060 and the more demanding games I run at 60fps and while yes, they dont feel as smooth, they feel fine for single player games, the 144fps is only really necessary for competitive games, and freesync can he used with nvidia gpus now sooo...?

Just now, Gohardgrandpa said:

I bought a new monitor this year and I really struggled with picking it. My best friend bought 1440p 144hz and he got a 2080 with it before I bought my stuff. I watched what he was getting framerate wise and at what settings. 

That helped me realize I’d rather run 1080p 144hz and be able to use a less expensive card and upgrade it every 3-4 years. I can’t justify spending $800 on a card for 1440p when a $350 card runs 1080p like a dream. It’s not a budget thing either, I could buy a 2080 right now but it’s not worth it for what I do 

Fair enough, also I want a 1440p/144hz but j have seen it irl. So I will have to go to like currys or something and test it out as I dont know if thags worth it yet myself.

It’s all about what you want and what you want to spend, have fun in your search 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

2 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Well, if you can stomach it then by all accounts go for it, most people i know really dislike gaming at 60fps on a high refresh screen, that's why i advised against it, but if its not an issue the rtx fits in perfectly.

Ok. Also just read that navi is supposed to replace the mid range gpus, and tbh I'd rather get roughly the same performance maybe slightly worse for 50ish more months earlier.