Some thought on eGPU investment

Andrew.Phourcheu

Hello Everyone,

I have always been intrigue with an eGPU set up for my dell xps 13 9370. For anyone who are currently use eGPU, is jumping to 1080 ti founders edition is a bit overkill for this kind of set? What are your suggestions? From my research so far, I notice that AMD rx 580 gpu are very popular for those who invest in eGPU. Let me know your what is your current eGPU. Tell me how is your performance.

My intended gameplay is mainly 1080p with a mix of high+mid setting and capping my framerate at 60 fps. My xps spec is i7-8550u. Games that I play include: Witcher 3, Nioh, Divinity 2, and Metro series (I will wait for the latest one to be release on steam). My gaming time are 4 hours max if I have the time.

P.S For reliability and compatibility, I might settle with Razer Core X. If heard AORUS Gaming Box can be a hit and miss for compatibility on anything other than Razer Blade. If I am wrong, please let me know. I would prefer to invest in smaller enclosure giving chances.

The CPU will limit performance of pretty much any GPU you use.  Then the eGPU connection will also limit it.

It is possible that even something like a 1050 Ti would be limited by your low CPU clocks if a game is particularly CPU heavy.

I would not invest in anything more than a 1660Ti.

Honestly, for the price of that enclosure, you can almost build a PC that's equivalent to your laptop....I'd just do that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

Hello Everyone,

I have always been intrigue with an eGPU set up for my dell xps 13 9370. For anyone who are currently use eGPU, is jumping to 1080 ti founders edition is a bit overkill for this kind of set? What are your suggestions? From my research so far, I notice that AMD rx 580 gpu are very popular for those who invest in eGPU. Let me know your what is your current eGPU. Tell me how is your performance.

My intended gameplay is mainly 1080p with a mix of high+mid setting and capping my framerate at 60 fps. My xps spec is i7-8550u. Games that I play include: Witcher 3, Nioh, Divinity 2, and Metro series (I will wait for the latest one to be release on steam). My gaming time are 4 hours max if I have the time.

P.S For reliability and compatibility, I might settle with Razer Core X. If heard AORUS Gaming Box can be a hit and miss for compatibility on anything other than Razer Blade. If I am wrong, please let me know. I would prefer to invest in smaller enclosure giving chances.

I have the Aorus gaming box, don't get it, one headache after another.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

That CPU is fine for productivity (not video rendering I guess), but for the kind of performance you want from gaming, a non power efficient model would do a lot better. So laptop is best for laptop stuff. A gaming laptop or PC would be needed for gaming performance.

26 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The CPU will limit performance of pretty much any GPU you use.  Then the eGPU connection will also limit it.

It is possible that even something like a 1050 Ti would be limited by your low CPU clocks if a game is particularly CPU heavy.

I would not invest in anything more than a 1660Ti.

you are correct, my CPU will limit my performance.  It is a trade for me at the time of buying a laptop vs building my PC. If that is the case, then option are now limited to just 1660 ti vs RX 580

47 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Honestly, for the price of that enclosure, you can almost build a PC that's equivalent to your laptop....I'd just do that.

Back then, it's Building PC vs buying dell xps with eGPU investment in the future.  

Refurbished enclosure doesn't look too shabby. Unless you have a disagreement regarding buying refurbished enclosure.

48 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I have the Aorus gaming box, don't get it, one headache after another.

Oh, thanks for letting me. I will cross Aorus out of my list. 

38 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

That CPU is fine for productivity (not video rendering I guess), but for the kind of performance you want from gaming, a non power efficient model would do a lot better. So laptop is best for laptop stuff. A gaming laptop or PC would be needed for gaming performance.

It is a trade off I've made for wanting to have a slim, professional look laptop. I do consider equivalent price dell, asus, and razer blade gaming laptop as well but then again I am more attracted to square like laptop. 

43 minutes ago, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

you are correct, my CPU will limit my performance.  It is a trade for me at the time of buying a laptop vs building my PC. If that is the case, then option are now limited to just 1660 ti vs RX 580

NV cards deal better with weak CPU's.

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

NV cards deal better with weak CPU's.

Oh, I never know about it. Will 6 gb vram vs 8 gb vram matter as well then?

12 minutes ago, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

Oh, I never know about it. Will 6 gb vram vs 8 gb vram matter as well then?

On an egpu you want as much VRAM as possible to minimize having stuff sent over the thunderbolt link.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

On an egpu you want as much VRAM as possible to minimize having stuff sent over the thunderbolt link.

Then I might need to find used gtx 1070 8gb on nvidia side.

Just now, Andrew.Phourcheu said:

Then I might need to find used gtx 1070 8gb on nvidia side.

Possibly, though it is also possible that compression is better on 16 series stuff.  So the difference may not be that large.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Possibly, though it is also possible that compression is better on 16 series stuff.  So the difference may not be that large.

I will pick which ever one of them is cheaper at the time of purchase. If things doesn't bode well on nvidia side, I can always fall back to rx 580 or vega 56. 

• 1 year later...

any updates regarding this? Was thinking of a 1660ti /eGPU for casual gaming on a spectre x360 with a 8550u.

Believe it or not the MX150 is managing DS3 at 720p rather well, but will struggle with anything newer or god forbid... 1080p  60fps. I run the laptop in tent mode, and have repasted the internals which helps a lot!