Good enough for 4k editing?

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
4 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

Always better off building it yourself, what budget/country?

What software?

Thinking of a computer like this for 4K video editing...anythoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-white/6315148.p?skuId=6315148

What software?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NinJake/saved/tvr3bv

That's the build I'm pitching to my boss. (New computer for work) If this is doable I'll be pushing for a z series mobo and a K processor. If this isn't doable I'll likely swap the 1tb m.2 drive for a 516GB PRO drive.

However, this build is already cheaper than that prebuilt you linked.

28 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

Most companies prefer pre-builts so you have warranties tied to the entire machine with one source and less hassle of compatibility or someone putting it together on yourt staff incorrectly.. So advising him to built it himself isn't usually viable.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

it depends on the type of 4k footage you will be working of, is not the same footage from a phone or h264 camera like mirrorless 100mbits footage than editing 4k 12bit 4:4:4 raw files.

if you can be more specific about the software you will use and the kind of footage we may be able to recommend some hardware.

53 minutes ago, NinJake said:

If you're using premiere level1techs has been doing some investigation into it's crashing issues for some people, and it seems like 2 PCs + Radeon VII has fixed things.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

What software?

I know I can get a little bit better system for the same price if I build my own my only problem and concern is putting it together myself I'm afraid of messing it up and then of course on top of that you have to buy the Windows 10 operating system? That's not figured in in the price? and then I have to make sure everything gets installed correctly 

And I forgot to answer your other question in the US and as far as software I'm not sure yet I'm decided I have been looking into some free to cheap options playing with random programs to see what works for me 

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NinJake/saved/tvr3bv

That's the build I'm pitching to my boss. (New computer for work) If this is doable I'll be pushing for a z series mobo and a K processor. If this isn't doable I'll likely swap the 1tb m.2 drive for a 516GB PRO drive.

However, this build is already cheaper than that prebuilt you linked.

This is about the best I could find for the price I wanted to spend it's definitely better than what my laptop is so this should be video editor

46 minutes ago, lacion said:

it depends on the type of 4k footage you will be working of, is not the same footage from a phone or h264 camera like mirrorless 100mbits footage than editing 4k 12bit 4:4:4 raw files.

if you can be more specific about the software you will use and the kind of footage we may be able to recommend some hardware.

To try to answer your question it's 4K footage from a GoPro 7 and the 4K footage file is hevc format

Sounds like I will have to  compress and ormat files?

16 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

And I forgot to answer your other question in the US and as far as software I'm not sure yet I'm decided I have been looking into some free to cheap options playing with random programs to see what works for me 

There's no really great free options, Resolve is your best bet there. Vegas Pro 15 is likely cheap at Key resell sites because it pops up on the humble bundle for $20 at times.

Building it yourself is incredibly easy, and you can use windows for free with a tiny watermark or buy a cheap key online.

Do you already have the 4k display and are you going to do any gaming?

Just look at the price difference for a still pretty good machine, this one also includes a 500GB NVME 3K Read/Write drive

Buying GPUs is the only real issue right now.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gw3pw6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gw3pw6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($100.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $750.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 17:57 EST-0500

-

-

I do all of my 4k gameplay editing on a 1950X in Sony Vegas Pro 15, and it uses 100% of my RX 580 8GB with the MAGIX codec

486365114_GPUrendering.jpg.c318452938718c584f685199ed2c453f.jpg

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

There's no really great free options, Resolve is your best bet there. Vegas Pro 15 is likely cheap at Key resell sites because it pops up on the humble bundle for $20 at times.

Building it yourself is incredibly easy, and you can use windows for free with a tiny watermark or buy a cheap key online.

Do you already have the 4k display and are you going to do any gaming?

Just look at the price difference for a still pretty good machine, this one also includes a 500GB NVME 3K Read/Write drive

Buying GPUs is the only real issue right now.

Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($100.86 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 17:57 EST-0500

-

-

I do all of my 4k gameplay editing on a 1950X in Sony Vegas Pro 15, and it uses 100% of my RX 580 8GB with the MAGIX codec

486365114_GPUrendering.jpg.c318452938718c584f685199ed2c453f.jpg

I know it probably sounds stupid but I just can't bring myself to get into building my own I have to order all the parts then I have to sit and wait I can be extremely impatient especially when I have stuff I want to get done LOL I have found one called videopad it seems to be great for video editing the only problem I have with it is when you upload a video it takes forever to render or load up in the timeline until it loads the playback is completely horrible it takes forever to load once it loads you can play all of your video back just fine do anything you want to do with editing upload it no problem ... I can only assume that is because I'm running on a lower-end 1060 RTX card lower RAM long story short it's all in a laptop the performance isn't quite there so that is probably where I have that problem of it taking too long to load??

Is the free version going to be completely backed up support everything that the paid license does?

2 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

You can use NZXT's build a PC service to build it for you, or go to any local PC shop as well and they'd likely be willing to build it. There's also puget systems who is more business oriented.

I have no idea what videopad is it's probably just a very basic video editor without hardware acceleration, the video editing software most people use are

Resolve(editor in progress, mostly for color grading)
Vegas Pro-Can just buy it, works well enough for most people.

Premiere(subscription only)

https://www.nzxt.com/bldnow

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can use NZXT's build a PC service to build it for you, or go to any local PC shop as well and they'd likely be willing to build it. There's also puget systems who is more business oriented.

I have no idea what videopad is it's probably just a very basic video editor without hardware acceleration, the video editing software most people use are

Resolve(editor in progress, mostly for color grading)
Vegas Pro-Can just buy it, works well enough for most people.

Premiere(subscription only)

https://www.nzxt.com/bldnow

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

I will have to try those programs out resolve and Vegas .. so how much more are you paying for them to build it for you? I'm sure some of your budget goes to them building it for you vs putting all of your budget into a computer?

1 minute ago, Vance44 said:

I will have to try those programs out resolve and Vegas .. so how much more are you paying for them to build it for you? I'm sure some of your budget goes to them building it for you vs putting all of your budget into a computer?

NZXT charges $100 not sure if it includes shipping but you can expect something around there from a local shop.

Puget does a whole bunch of testing on the PC and has close to pre-built machines basically. Bit pricier for the service.

Ebay has Sony Vegas Keys, but I'm not sure how all of that works, I would hope those people just bought a bunch of Humble Bundle Keys to resell and aren't trying to sell a cracked version of the software.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

NZXT charges $100 not sure if it includes shipping but you can expect something around there from a local shop.

Puget does a whole bunch of testing on the PC and has close to pre-built machines basically. Bit pricier for the service.

Ebay has Sony Vegas Keys, but I'm not sure how all of that works, I would hope those people just bought a bunch of Humble Bundle Keys to resell and aren't trying to sell a cracked version of the software.

That's nuts lol I don't need anything crazy like that I think for what I'm looking at should do the trick?

3 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

That's nuts lol I don't need anything crazy like that I think for what I'm looking at should do the trick?

I think we're missing something here.

Did you mean the pre-built?

This one isn't the worst price ever for a pre-built if you can upgrade the graphics card, but I don't know if the power supply is any good, a lot of those from Cyberpower/Ibuypower have cheap power supplies.

Also it doesn't look like any of the pre-builts have a case with airflow, they're all pretty closed off.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Master-GMA1392A-GeForce-802-11AC/dp/B07GFTMKMM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Ryzen+7+cyberoiwer&qid=1552090343&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

If you have a local PC shop you can just send them that list and ask for a quote to put it together, even if you spend $100 to get it put together and upgrade the GPU to an RTX 2060 or 2070 it's still saving money and getting a better SSD and Power supply than the pre-built systems.

Although you probably don't need anything better than an RX 580 8GB depending on what you're doing.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I think we're missing something here.

Did you mean the pre-built?

This one isn't the worst price ever for a pre-built if you can upgrade the graphics card, but I don't know if the power supply is any good, a lot of those from Cyberpower/Ibuypower have cheap power supplies.

Also it doesn't look like any of the pre-builts have a case with airflow, they're all pretty closed off.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Master-GMA1392A-GeForce-802-11AC/dp/B07GFTMKMM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Ryzen+7+cyberoiwer&qid=1552090343&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

If you have a local PC shop you can just send them that list and ask for a quote to put it together, even if you spend $100 to get it put together and upgrade the GPU to an RTX 2060 or 2070 it's still saving money and getting a better SSD and Power supply than the pre-built systems.

Although you probably don't need anything better than an RX 580 8GB depending on what you're doing.

Yes the desktop I'm looking at will have the ryzen 7 2700 x processor 16   RAM RTX 2070 graphics card with 2tb hard drive and 240 solid state drive...and my thought was I can always throw other upgrades at it later or even change the casing

15 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

Yes the desktop I'm looking at will have the ryzen 7 2700 x processor 16   RAM RTX 2070 graphics card with 2tb hard drive and 240 solid state drive...and my thought was I can always throw other upgrades at it later or even change the casing

The Ryzen 7 2700 is only about 10% better at best, and Ryzen 3000 is coming in june/july with 12 or later 16 core options on AM4,

There's a build with comparable parts just for reference of the price increase to buy the pre-built, The price of that pre-built is comparable to going to the ibuypower or cyberpower website.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MMxJ4q
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MMxJ4q/by_merchant/

Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card  ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1109.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 19:50 EST-0500

Spoiler

Just like most other parts I can always upgrade the CPU right? 

Just like most other parts I can always upgrade the CPU right? 

On AM4 we're supposed to get upgrade options until 2020, so maybe Ryzen 4000 at most

it will probably top out at 16 cores.

Spoiler

the machine you posted will be fine for editing 4k GoPro footage, you will be able to use resolve at realtime unless you throw lots of effects at the timeline, you will be able to color correct at realtime too with no issues. the features of resolve that will drop your performance a lot are not available in the free version (noise reduction for example) even if whatever effects your using drop playback performance using optimized media and or Proxy will solve your problem.

I would however highly recommend getting at least 32gb instead of 16.

7 hours ago, lacion said:

the machine you posted will be fine for editing 4k GoPro footage, you will be able to use resolve at realtime unless you throw lots of effects at the timeline, you will be able to color correct at realtime too with no issues. the features of resolve that will drop your performance a lot are not available in the free version (noise reduction for example) even if whatever effects your using drop playback performance using optimized media and or Proxy will solve your problem.

I would however highly recommend getting at least 32gb instead of 16.

yea i dont need to do any extream editing so i think i'm ok... so i got that desktop and its super fast night and day works so much better ... so far i'm happy with it .. i know everyone wants me to build my own down the road i might but for now this is good enough for what i need to do .. and over time i can even make a few upgrades here and there to even make better ... definitely value your feedback and advice ... all of you that responded this is a good place to been with any future advice ... 

dont some of these programs put them into proxy with you? ... there is so much i stll have to learn :( GRR!!! lol long road that's for sure lol \