Optical Drive

incorrectdigit

I really wasn't sure if this should go under storage or peripheral (or perhaps another category altogether?)  But i got a new computer recently that due to the radiator doesn't really have a space for 5.25" drives.  I would like to get some blue-ray/dvd/cd playback though, and I guess what I'm curious about is does anyone know whether just a straight external drive or an external enclosure is better?  Which one would be more budget friendly for quality?  What little shopping I've done can show some drastically different gaps, and it's a lot to try to process.

well u have the drive already just get an enclosure..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

you dont even need a case...look this one too....and it is more portable....

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Drive-Adapter-Converter-Support/dp/B00MYU0EAU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=IP8TNMCHLAXH&keywords=sata+to+usb+3.0+adapter&qid=1551954329&s=gateway&sprefix=sata%2Caps%2C547&sr=8-6

i dont recommend this one as a brand but i am showing you the solution instead the case one....if you decide then look a brand named logilnik

I had the same problem (radiator took too much room to mount optical). I found a USB3 from ASUS that has worked very well doing everything including M-Disc's. 

WalMart

On 3/7/2019 at 10:03 AM, RayLeech said:

I had the same problem (radiator took too much room to mount optical). I found a USB3 from ASUS that has worked very well doing everything including M-Disc's. 

WalMart

Have you had any problems burning with it ?And how is the blu ray playback from it ?I have read great reviews from it but never talked to someone that owned it.

Just use a USB external disk drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I can think of only three options.

1. Get a new case that has room for your radiators and an ODD (Optical Disc Drive). I would feel this would be the best option but would be a lot of work and expense.

2. Get an external enclosure for a 5.25" ODD. This would be easier and less expensive than a new case but is also the least elegant because you would need a place to put the enclosure and you would have to horse around with both a USB cable and power cable/wall wart.

3. Get a USB powered ODD. This is the easiest (and, possibly, the least expensive) solution but you would still need a place to put the drive and need to use a USB cable. USB powered ODDs will be much slower than 5.25" ODDs due to being underpowered in comparison.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

Have you had any problems burning with it ?And how is the blu ray playback from it ?I have read great reviews from it but never talked to someone that owned it.

I have not. I burn a lot of MDISCs for archival storage and no coasters yet (I always verify on another machine with a different drive). I don't do much direct playback from the drive, mostly digitizing. Seems fast enough through USB3 and no errors so far. I have other external optical drives, but like this one the best.

14 hours ago, RayLeech said:

I have not. I burn a lot of MDISCs for archival storage and no coasters yet (I always verify on another machine with a different drive). I don't do much direct playback from the drive, mostly digitizing. Seems fast enough through USB3 and no errors so far. I have other external optical drives, but like this one the best.

Thanks for the heads up,I'm about to build my next pc,But most cases don't have a 5.25 anymore and i still burn stuff with mine and watch blu rays sometimes on it.So its ether get a case with a 5.25 which are limited or go usb drive and pray its not slower then im use to lol.

It's really a shame there are so few cases with 5.25" bays anymore. There are so many uses for 5.25" bays besides optical drives. Hot swap bays for HDDs and SSDs, card readers, upgrading USB ports, fan controllers, water cooling reservoirs, case lighting control panels, etc. (heck, you can even put a small parts storage drawer in one) are what immediately come to mind.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 3/11/2019 at 9:00 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Hot swap bays for HDDs and SSDs

That's exactly why I had to get an external. The radiator left only one 5.25" bay free, and I use my hot swap removable drive way more than the optical.

I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071N66T8/

and then upgraded it with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VYGWQG7

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T

This is my go to device for all optical media and file transfers for all computers. Its pricey but your will use it forever.