Watts on Meter(AC) vs Watts out of PSU(DC)

Sparkyfuzbal

I want to put in a GTX 750 in my PC. I currently don't have any card in. I want to know if I need to upgrade my PSU to support (potentially) 55w the Graphics card demands

The watt meter says 50w (peak) from the wall(while running a game, getting unstable 20FPS XD ).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I have to convert watts in AC to watts in DC to know if my PSU have enough room to output an extra (potentially) 55w for the GTX 750 I'm planning on putting in to the system??

OR

Assuming 100% efficiency, is my system really only demanding 50w(peak) from my PSU?

46 minutes ago, FredyBobJoe said:

What kind of psu do you have and what is it rated at?

gold standard, 310 watt, preliminary HP PSU in an HP Pavilion.

52 minutes ago, Sparkyfuzbal said:

Assuming 100% efficiency, is my system really only demanding 50w(peak) from my PSU?

Never assume 100% efficiency, that is impossible (unless we're talking about resistive heating) Rather, assume ~80% efficiency, which is around what the average PSU stands at.

3 minutes ago, Sparkyfuzbal said:

gold standard, 310 watt, preliminary HP PSU in an HP Pavilion

It's perfectly fine for such a low-end GPU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 hours ago, Sparkyfuzbal said:

Do I have to convert watts in AC to watts in DC to know if my PSU have enough room to output an extra (potentially) 55w for the GTX 750 I'm planning on putting in to the system??

Yes! You got it figured out.

Your PSU is around 90% efficient since you say it's 80+ Gold certified, so your components actually consume around 45W. GTX750 is no problem then.

Do you guys know if I have to convert AC watts to DC watts?

and thanks for the help!

10 minutes ago, Sparkyfuzbal said:

and thanks for the help!

No there's no difference that matters. The watts from the wall is what your computer uses + a little more from efficiency losses from the power supply converting the 120v AC to 5v, 12v, 3.3v DC. If your power supply is 310w and has roughly 80% efficiency you should be able to pull around 370w from the wall before the power supply will overload and shut off. I wouldn't push those power supplies hard in pre builts though. But a 750 doesn't really use a lot of power.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

1 hour ago, Sparkyfuzbal said:

and thanks for the help!

Yes, I... just explained it right in the post above yours.