My GTX970 gave up the ghost, which new one should I get for my old i5 2500K

FoxMulder2014

So I need a new GPU. My GTX970 already bottlenecked my GTX970, but gotta have a new regardless.

I was thinking of getting an GTX 1060 6GB.

I don't getting the 3GB version seems like a downgrade and the 1050 2gb even more so, since a lot of game use more than 2 or even 3 gb vram?

Getting a new CPU is not an option because don't have the budget to replace half my computer and I don't know what signicfinaly better CPU (for gaming) I can get for my MB.

i7 2600 probably won't make much difference? And you can't really buy those anymore for fair prices I guess

(PS I live in Belgium, so US stores and price I can't really do something with)

Edited by FoxMulder2014

3 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

i7 2600 probably won't make much difference? And you can't really buy those anymore for fair prices I guess

Try getting a 1060 used. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

I think an RX570 or GTX 1060 (maybe even an RX580 idk) would be your best options, whichever's cheaper in your area.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

The RX 580 is often cheaper than the 1060 6gb, if only by just a bit, but offers the same performance. What prices are available to you?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The RX 580 is often cheaper than the 1060 6gb, if only by just a bit, but offers the same performance. What prices are available to you?

Some local stores:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6G: €285
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB (2slots): €303
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB: €299
Asus GeForce Dual GTX 1060 O6G (2slots): €335
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 (2slots): €315

Don't really understand the difference between those two MSI cards... Description says 2 slots and 1x8 pins for the X version, but is that better? (It's pretty much same price)

The RX 580 are indeed about €20-30 cheaper

7 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

Don't really understand the difference between those two MSI cards... Description says 2 slots and 1x8 pins for the X version, but is that better? (It's pretty much same price)

The gaming X will have been a higher binned card so it comes clocked higher, but for how low the windforce card costs, I would honestly prefer that one. And again, for €20 less, the 580 makes for even better value.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC is only €200 even

Paired with a i2500 (and playing games at 1080p ofc) will it make much difference? (Because bottleneck?)

19 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6G: €285

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB (2slots): €303
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB: €299
Asus GeForce Dual GTX 1060 O6G (2slots): €335
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 (2slots): €315

Your country is really expensive. Rx 580/1060 are ~150-170 € in mine.

15 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Your country is really expensive. Rx 580/1060 are ~150-170 € in mine.

I live in Belgium. So got any tips for German stores? I assume Germans ones will work just fine in Belgium :)

5 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

I live in Belgium. So got any tips for German stores? I assume Germans ones will work just fine in Belgium :)

It depends because some do not allow EU shipping. Mindfactory.de is one of the biggest and popular online hardware stores but it has stopped EU shipping. I personally use idealo.de or geizhals.de to compare the prices. You could just search for a product and check if they allow EU shipping.

I made a mistake and didn´t look for the 6GB/8GB version:

1060 6GB 200+ €

580 8GB 195+ €

24 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

It depends because some do not allow EU shipping. Mindfactory.de is one of the biggest and popular online hardware stores but it has stopped EU shipping. I personally use idealo.de or geizhals.de to compare the prices. You could just search for a product and check if they allow EU shipping.

I made a mistake and didn´t look for the 6GB/8GB version:

1060 6GB 200+ €

580 8GB 195+ €

My German isn't perfect

But on Mindfactory I noticed 8GB MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail) for nur €209

That's for the RX 580 though. The price I found on Bol.com for "MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC" was €256

The €200 one was for the RX570

Are those the same cards though? The title is a bit different? (Sorry for my noob questions :p)

+ on that German site you get 2 games free include DIvision 2 and Resident Evil 2. Which I was going to get anyway

And if you get the RX590 (8GB ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX 590 8G OC) You get drei spiele free?

Probably to much for my system? But will an RX590 work? Those games are worth the extra cost as I was already going them anyway. Is it all three or can you pick just one? (I mean I could cancel my Division 2 pre-order and instead of 239, it would be 179)

Please correct me if I understood the German language wrong :)

3 hours ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

My German isn't perfect

But on Mindfactory I noticed 8GB MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail) for nur €209

Yes but as I already said, Mindfactory does no longer ship outside of Germany!

+ on that German site you get 2 games free include DIvision 2 and Resident Evil 2. Which I was going to get anyway

And if you get the RX590 (8GB ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX 590 8G OC) You get drei spiele free?

Yes, you get 2 or 3 games for free because it is a promotion (raise your game) from AMD. AMD has a list of online shops in each country that support this promotion:

AMD promotion website: https://www.amd.com/en/where-to-buy/raise-the-game

shops that support the promotion: https://www.amd.com/de/where-to-buy/raise-the-game.

Caseking from this list ships internationally. I also believe Alternate but I am not 100% sure. I do not know if the others do.

Probably to much for my system? But will an RX590 work? Those games are worth the extra cost as I was already going them anyway. Is it all three or can you pick just one? (I mean I could cancel my Division 2 pre-order and instead of 239, it would be 179)

Sure it would work. rx 590 is ~15% faster than a 1060 and who cares about a small cpu bottleneck in a few games when you want those games anyways. It is basically a free upgrade then.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Thanks.

I check out Alternate, they also have Belgian & Dutch site :)

(The Dutch being quite cheaper than the Belgian one lol)

41 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

Thanks.

I check out Alternate, they also have Belgian & Dutch site :)

(The Dutch being quite cheaper than the Belgian one lol)

Nice. Would be cool to know if my help paid off and you bought from outside of Belgium ?

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

Nice. Would be cool to know if my help paid off and you bought from outside of Belgium ?

That it did. The Belgium site wasn't just more expensive, they didn't support the free games (which makes it extra cheap in a way since I was going to get Division 2 anyway. DMC also seems nice; Already have RE2 though, but I picked the RX80 so it was two games rather than three anyway)

i'm also in search for a good graphics card for a new build (in belgium) and found this one;

https://www.megekko.nl/product/1962/999224/AMD-Videokaarten/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-580-GAMING-8GB-Videokaart

€215 with 2 games and free shipping.

Also found the rx580 for €190. tell me if i should try and find it again

as background, my current parts list: https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/jQPtTB