2950x Workstation Build

Hey guys!

I have to upgrade my workstation and I really need some help! My main use is for 3D modeling and rendering. I work with really heavy scenes and I use both CPU and GPU renderers. My computer remains on load almost 24/7 and I need something really reliable. I want to focus this upgrade on a new CPU. I’m thinking about a 2950x but It’s extremely hard to find a build to use as guide and I’m really no expert at all.

What I need:

-CPU: 2950x (Or other?)

-Mobo that suports 4 GPU

-Mem: at least 64gb but with possibility to upgrade to 128gb next year.

-a reliable cooling system (water or air) but that allow me to use all the pci-e slots.

Budget: 2000 Euros ideally, 2500 euros max.

My my current build is:

CPU: i7 4930K

Mobo: ASRock X79 Extreme 6

Mem: 48Gb DDR3 1600mhz (6x8)

GPU: 2 x TITAN X (maxwell) + 1x GTX1080

PSU: Corsair Aix1200i

Case: Corsair 750D Obsidian Airflow Edition

Thank you!!!

Assuming you're reusing your current case and PSU, there's this:

PCPartPicker part list: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/g9FQbX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/g9FQbX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€939.48 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€79.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  (€339.56 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€360.66 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €1719.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 00:07 CET+0100

With the amount of room left in the budget, I feel you could probably go up to a 2990WX.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 minutes ago, Rafazc said:

Hey guys!

I have to upgrade my workstation and I really need some help! My main use is for 3D modeling and rendering. I work with really heavy scenes and I use both CPU and GPU renderers. My computer remains on load almost 24/7 and I need something really reliable. I want to focus this upgrade on a new CPU. I’m thinking about a 2950x but It’s extremely hard to find a build to use as guide and I’m really no expert at all.

What I need:

-CPU: 2950x (Or other?)

-Mobo that suports 4 GPU

-Mem: at least 64gb but with possibility to upgrade to 128gb next year.

-a reliable cooling system (water or air) but that allow me to use all the pci-e slots.

Budget: 2000 Euros ideally, 2500 euros max.

My my current build is:

CPU: i7 4930K

Mobo: ASRock X79 Extreme 6

Mem: 48Gb DDR3 1600mhz (6x8)

GPU: 2 x TITAN X (maxwell) + 1x GTX1080

PSU: Corsair Aix1200i

Case: Corsair 750D Obsidian Airflow Edition

Thank you!!!

I used the German price list. This is something of a starting point. I'd probably look for a 1950X, actually, as they can be had for closer to 500-550EUR.

But I would also highly recommend a very good study on your workflow and program types. Some really won't care whether they have 4 cores or 44 cores. 

Thank you very much guys!!

The Cinebench is a good benchmark for me to follow as a base for my work, the 2950x is performing really well there.

Using the Noctua would have room to use my 3 gpus on the Taichi? I’m really afraid to the cooler block some of the PCI-e.. Specially because I'm planning to get the 4th GPU soon.