Compatibility issue with B350M-A

lagista

Hi,

I am intending to upgrade a few components on my PC, and am not sure about a few things as I've read a lot on google but can't seem to understand.

Current build:
Asus Prime B350M-A

Ryzen 5 2600

Stock cooler

4x4GB 2400Mhz DDR4

500GB SATA SSD
GTX1070ti

I am intending to upgrade my storage to M.2 drive.

Am I able to use Samsung's EVO 970?

I read a little about the NVMe thing and although pcpartpicker said it's compatible, it seems confusing.
If not, am I able to use WD's M.2 SSD instead?

Also, I am interested in upgrading my RAM.

What mhz should I be looking at? I am aware ryzen CPUs benefit more from faster RAM speeds, but I've also seen a lot of info regarding boards not supporting faster memory.

The website says "up to 3200MHz", will 2x8GB 3200MHz be significantly faster than what I'm using right now?

Lastly, I have not never tried overclocking my Ryzen 5 as I do not know how. It's idle temps with all my apps open are 44-53 degrees celcius according to Core Temp.

Should I overclock it?

Is there a point in getting a Hyper 212 evo cooler with kryonaut thermal paste (it's ~6USD a gram in my country)?

Thanks for reading!

16 minutes ago, lagista said:

Hi,

I am intending to upgrade a few components on my PC, and am not sure about a few things as I've read a lot on google but can't seem to understand.

Current build:
Asus Prime B350M-A

Ryzen 5 2600

Stock cooler

4x4GB 2400Mhz DDR4

500GB SATA SSD
GTX1070ti

I am intending to upgrade my storage to M.2 drive.

Am I able to use Samsung's EVO 970?

I read a little about the NVMe thing and although pcpartpicker said it's compatible, it seems confusing.
If not, am I able to use WD's M.2 SSD instead?

Also, I am interested in upgrading my RAM.

What mhz should I be looking at? I am aware ryzen CPUs benefit more from faster RAM speeds, but I've also seen a lot of info regarding boards not supporting faster memory.

The website says "up to 3200MHz", will 2x8GB 3200MHz be significantly faster than what I'm using right now?

Lastly, I have not never tried overclocking my Ryzen 5 as I do not know how. It's idle temps with all my apps open are 44-53 degrees celcius according to Core Temp.

Should I overclock it?

Is there a point in getting a Hyper 212 evo cooler with kryonaut thermal paste (it's ~6USD a gram in my country)?

Thanks for reading!

you have to check your board and see if you have a nvme slot on it, and over clocking your cpu is very easy, you just need ryzen master software and set your 2600 to about 4.0 or 4.1 ghz and youll be good to go

For the SSD, you will be able to use Samsung NVMe drive.

On Asus website, it is written " 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode & PCIE mode)".

PCIE mode = NVMe.

For the RAM, it will help a little. It depends on what you do, and what game.

As for example you can look at this video that compares 2400, 3000 and 3200 MHz RAm on Ryzen 2 :

To choose a RAM that will be 100% compatible, look at the supported memory on Asus's website, for your motherboard (link).

Concerning the overclocking, I'll let somebody else answer. I don't overclock.

6 minutes ago, matt-fr said:

For the SSD, you will be able to use Samsung NVMe drive.

On Asus website, it is written " 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode & PCIE mode)".

PCIE mode = NVMe.

For the RAM, it will help a little. It depends on what you do, and what game.

As for example you can look at this video that compares 2400, 3000 and 3200 MHz RAm on Ryzen 2 :

To choose a RAM that will be 100% compatible, look at the supported memory on Asus's website, for your motherboard (link).

Concerning the overclocking, I'll let somebody else answer. I don't overclock.

PCIE mode = NVMe? Okay thanks!
Are you aware why both SSDs above are so big in price difference?

I do some 4k video editing and some light gaming here and there. Will there be other real world advantage to faster RAM? Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, Earnist_ said:

you have to check your board and see if you have a nvme slot on it, and over clocking your cpu is very easy, you just need ryzen master software and set your 2600 to about 4.0 or 4.1 ghz and youll be good to go

Is there any "cons" of overclocking my CPU? What idle temps are considered good?

13 minutes ago, lagista said:

PCIE mode = NVMe? Okay thanks!
Are you aware why both SSDs above are so big in price difference?

NVMe is much faster then SATA drives.

The Samsung has the following speeds.

*Sequential Read Speed : Up to 3,500 MB/s

*Sequential Write Speed : Up to 2,500 MB/s

The WD has these speeds :

*Sequential Read Speed : Up to 560 MB/s

*Sequential Write Speed : Up to 530 MB/s

15 minutes ago, lagista said:

I do some 4k video editing and some light gaming here and there. Will there be other real world advantage to faster RAM? Thanks!

You won't see much difference. You can watch Linus's video on that topic :

4 minutes ago, matt-fr said:

NVMe is much faster then SATA drives.

The Samsung has the following speeds.

*Sequential Read Speed : Up to 3,500 MB/s

*Sequential Write Speed : Up to 2,500 MB/s

The WD has these speeds :

*Sequential Read Speed : Up to 560 MB/s

*Sequential Write Speed : Up to 530 MB/s

You won't see much difference. You can watch Linus's video on that topic :

oh god thanks so much! ?

29 minutes ago, lagista said:

Is there any "cons" of overclocking my CPU? What idle temps are considered good?

The idle temps are irrelevant, if your load temps are below a certain amount (most people prefer 75 or 80 degrees max) then it's all good.

If you use an appropriate voltage to overclock, it's perfectly fine. However, your stock cooler won't be allowing for too much OC room, so I would just let XFR, AMD's auto boost software, to do its thing. I bet you'll get about 3.7, maybe 3.8 or so all cores.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The idle temps are irrelevant, if your load temps are below a certain amount (most people prefer 75 or 80 degrees max) then it's all good.

If you use an appropriate voltage to overclock, it's perfectly fine. However, your stock cooler won't be allowing for too much OC room, so I would just let XFR, AMD's auto boost software, to do its thing. I bet you'll get about 3.7, maybe 3.8 or so all cores.

sorry, but how do i activate XFR?

Just now, lagista said:

sorry, but how do i activate XFR?

It's enabled automatically, just like Intel turbo boost.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's enabled automatically, just like Intel turbo boost.

gotcha! ?