Best Way To Wire My Devices To My Router

Paterson37

Hi folks,

I’m after a little bit of advice. I’m in the U.K. and with BT for my internet service. I have their Smart Hub as my router. This plugs into an Openreach 5C Master Socket. The router sits on a bedside table at the socket beside the door. 

My conundrum is that I want to have all of my devices (PC, Xbox One, Hue Hub) on my desk on a wired connection.

I have attached a little diagram of our bedroom set up where the master socket and router are located. What’s the best way without getting the master socket moved to get all my devices hooked up? I’d rather avoid routing multiple Ethernet cables around the skirting board and the door. Is there any other ideas?

Thanks folks. 

1E301DF2-2C00-4C04-8B38-81AE3D7A47E8.jpeg

E54C27D7-EBB2-404C-A1C7-19CE8DF2FC7E.jpeg

46A4A8D5-A464-419B-83F1-36F9F9C9B29E.jpeg

Master socket > wire to desk > router on the desk > devices to router? Unless you can't move the router

37 minutes ago, wron said:

Master socket > wire to desk > router on the desk > devices to router? Unless you can't move the router

Thanks for the advice. I heard you should keep the wire from master socket to router as short as possible. Think it’s an RJ11 cable? BT refer to it as “Broadband Cable”. Would I get away with running a longer cable to my desk?

Unless you run it over like 50 or 100 meters or more there won't be any signal degradation etc. I have like 20 or 30 meters of cable between my master socket and router and never had any issues.