I think my boot drive may have failed :(

So I went to turn on my computer today and I just get a message that says press the F2 or delete key to enter the UEFI bios but pressing those keys does nothing. Nothing I press does anything. I've tried all buttons on my Asus Maximus Hero X wifi motherboard and still get the same error. After taking out my Samsung 960 Evo nvme boot drive I was able to get into the bios and find my other drives. But if I put the nvme drive back in I get the same error. Even tried a different nvme slot.

Is there any hope of recovering any of the data on it without having to send it into a recovery center? Or is there something else you think I could try?

Attach39097_20190225_191544.jpg

Clear the motherboards CMOS. Google it for your specific board. Also, is there a post code in the bottom right of your screen? Are any lights on on the motherboard? What lights are on? You can't even get past BIOS - this is an issue before your PC even attempts to boot to windows.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

20 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Clear the motherboards CMOS. Google it for your specific board. Also, is there a post code in the bottom right of your screen? Are any lights on on the motherboard? What lights are on? You can't even get past BIOS - this is an issue before your PC even attempts to boot to windows.

Nothing in bottom right corner. Clearing cmos got me into bios. Drive not detected. post code was A0 which is IDE initialization is started. Lights on mobo, ram, fan, water cooler all on. 

4 minutes ago, PizzaTacoCat said:

Nothing in bottom right corner. Clearing cmos got me into bios. Drive not detected. post code was A0 which is IDE initialization is started. Lights on mobo, ram, fan, water cooler all on. 

clearing CMOS might have also cleared a setting in your BIOS which enabled your M.2 slot. If you have this setting and you cleared CMOS to get the system to post, you may have reset this setting to default at the same time which could be the reason you can't see the drive.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

53 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

clearing CMOS might have also cleared a setting in your BIOS which enabled your M.2 slot. If you have this setting and you cleared CMOS to get the system to post, you may have reset this setting to default at the same time which could be the reason you can't see the drive.

Any idea where I would go to in my bios to figure that out? Also thanks for helping me ?

17 hours ago, PizzaTacoCat said:

Any idea where I would go to in my bios to figure that out? Also thanks for helping me ?

That video pretty much sums it up quicker than I can type. It should be in the advanced tab. In my case on my ASUS STRIX board, it was set to PCIe X4 mode by default and I had to change this to get my M.2 drive to show up when I got mine.

11 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

That video pretty much sums it up quicker than I can type. It should be in the advanced tab. In my case on my ASUS STRIX board, it was set to PCIe X4 mode by default and I had to change this to get my M.2 drive to show up when I got mine.

Yea I don't have any of those options in my bios. Under advanced there is a drop down for each drive detected which doesn't unclude my nvme. For each drop down there are a bunch of grayed out specs. The only thing I could find was a "boot from PCI-/PCI expansion devices" under "boot from cms (comparability support module)" but the only options were "legacy only" or "UEFI driver first" and I don't know what either of those are. 

5 minutes ago, PizzaTacoCat said:

Yea I don't have any of those options in my bios. Under advanced there is a drop down for each drive detected which doesn't unclude my nvme. For each drop down there are a bunch of grayed out specs. The only thing I could find was a "boot from PCI-/PCI expansion devices" under "boot from cms (comparability support module)" but the only options were "legacy only" or "UEFI driver first" and I don't know what either of those are. 

I think your board has 2 M.2 slots, have you tried the other one?

54 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I think your board has 2 M.2 slots, have you tried the other one?

He stated earlier he did. @OP make sure to use UEFI driver first. NVME requires UEFI drivers to be loaded. 

Edit: Does your SSD even show in bios?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

21 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

He stated earlier he did. @OP make sure to use UEFI driver first. NVME requires UEFI drivers to be loaded. 

Edit: Does your SSD even show in bios?

I've tried both slots on the mobo. Its not finding my nvme drive. Just my other 2 WD black and old sata SSD. Could never figure out why it shows 3 keyboards either. In this case my keyboard had a passthrough USB but that wouldn't equal 3.

IMG_20190227_201857.jpg

IMG_20190227_202009.jpg