I7 7700k Temps!

CoreV
Go to solution Solved by TahoeDust,
6 hours ago, mk6guy said:

@TahoeDust I can surely get that when I get home. What do you want me to monitor it with and what load? Prime95 or Gaming? Or what variable?

See what it is using CPUz while Prime95 is running.

Hey guys, got a few questions regarding temps on my I7 7700k. I’m going to attach a few photos here with everything that you guys may need to help me here. 

My I7 7700k is in a fresh rig. MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, Trident Z’s 32gb @ 3200mhz (XMP), NZXT H500 case, 1 ML120 exhaust 1 ML140 exhaust, Corsair H110i AIO cooler in front for intake stock fans, and no OC other than the factory boost of 4.5 in game. If any more information is needed, let me know. 

I maxed everything out on the exhaust fans, pump to 2800rpm, and rad fans maxed. I ran CS:GO maxed untoched other than turning motion blur off. I was seeing temps fluctuate from anywhere to 69-85°C! I can’t even get a solid flat reading because they fluctuate constantly. Then I turned the chassis fans on to smart mode through bios to what I usually have them at and then set the cooler back to my own curve in LINK. I got about the same fluctuation and readings in CS:GO. GPU usually sticks around 70-80°C as well if that’s any good. I then installed Prime95 at it’s latest and it maxed almost all the cores at about 90-100°C. Then I installed v26.6 and the cores corresponded pretty close to 85°C. I did that with pump and all fans maxed and got the same as everything in my own mode and smart fan mode. 

My questions are, is this normal? If not, what can I do to fix this or get better temps? Are there better applications I can use for reading temps? I don’t know if any of this is normal as this is my honest first build. I’m using about a pea size dot of TP too. I’m not familiar with proper temps on the hardware I have and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I couldn’t add more than 20mb of photos so if you need more information or photos of what’s going on, please let me know so I can do it for your better understanding and mine. 

3B164F85-0CCB-424D-BC73-811D86EFC5B3.jpeg

01FFD057-14DA-47C5-A662-B0FF3121B11A.jpeg

C8B4AADF-C8EF-4DF4-BCD0-316A9B636C9F.jpeg

Sounds like the thermal paste was either dried off or you didn't screw in your cooler tight enough.

Yep, prob didn't add enough thermal paste or didn't screw your cooler down properly. 

Lemme guess, you added a tiny drop of paste?

@mk6guy

To me that sounds like a bad mount on the CPU block. Did you use the included thermal paste?

I would suggest taking off the block and ensuring you removed the protective plastic and then use rubbing alcohol to remove the included thermal compound from the cooler and the CPU. Then reinstall it with something like Arctic silver 5. Ensure that the block gets screwed down securely and evenly with a Criss cross pattern and try again.

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

Yep, prob didn't add enough thermal paste or didn't screw your cooler down properly. 

Lemme guess, you added a tiny drop of paste?

Pretty sure it comes pre applied on that cooler.

It does come preapplied but I had removed it after testing components out if the case before installation. I applied Ceramique by Arctic Silver first and then got about same temps. So I went to my local hobby store and picked up what they had and got the same thing. I have the block firmly mounted and did the star pattern pretty tight but not too tight. No play in it or anything. I used about a pea sized drop if not a little more than that the third time to ensure that I had more than the second application. I’m confused as much as any of you guys are. 

I’m so confused because I’m comparing my temps to others with the same cooler and they’re averaging about the same idle temps but under load I’m seeing hot temps. I want to troubleshoot this as much as I possibly can because it’s my first build and I want the life out of my components. 

I’m ordering two different pastes with some better reviews than what I have applied now. 

CoolLaboratory Liquid Pro 

Grizzly Kryonuat

Will not do anything CPU intensive until I receive these and do testing. 

What is your voltage under load?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

@TahoeDust I can surely get that when I get home. What do you want me to monitor it with and what load? Prime95 or Gaming? Or what variable?

6 hours ago, mk6guy said:

See what it is using CPUz while Prime95 is running.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

@TahoeDust I pulled the block off to check contact with the processor and it’s fairly even. Going to clean the processor and block up with acetone quick and reapply the Ceramique 2 by Arctic Silver. 

47DA9747-C5DC-4C9F-836F-A6F02E5BC18E.jpeg

5314F1D6-9E5D-45E0-B54A-F992B5A0343F.jpeg

I applied about a pea sized drop and it expanded about equally. 

Another update. Ceramique applied, cooler block applied, and star pattern used. Also moved the block around a little to ensure it has made its way over the CPU. 

65FE732A-CB78-4778-8EC7-8F2018BD3FB1.jpeg

58DF2910-1B49-49CF-B9C4-E7C4FDA85249.jpeg

When I had my H110i it was nothing but problems, It ran really hot around 50C under load. After the pump died just when the warranty expired I bought a big notcua and my temps went down 15C

@Allmykidsareblack 50°c under load is not hot at all?

I re-seated everything with the different thermal paste and going to get temps when I get home and report back to everyone. 

9 minutes ago, CoreV said:

@Allmykidsareblack 50°c under load is not hot at all?

I re-seated everything with the different thermal paste and going to get temps when I get home and report back to everyone. 

I didn't think so either, but then again i thought the water cooling was superior to air cooling. And when the pump goes you have to replace the whole unit, as opposed to switching out a fan.

@TahoeDust I got a few pictures this evening and will have to post them separately. 

Here is under load with Prime95 of course. Small temperature change this time after making those reported adjustments I posted earlier. Core 2 being the hottest for some reason bringing package temp with it. 

Note!: Maybe the temp difference has to do with the H110i’s temperature difference between this test and last. Last it was 29.4°c and this time 22.1°c. 

F0A0E249-0869-4F0D-A634-7BA82A410B21.jpeg

5B4EC9EF-A59D-42DE-A997-B2D2CDEA153F.jpeg

4F45FEA2-0747-45D5-9F87-318AFE738F52.jpeg

Here is idle temps this session. I think it all has to do with the lower temp in the cooler this time as it’s a bit cooler in the room from the windy nights. 

9E78F872-EF8C-4F62-928C-A06783581AC1.jpeg

900D9720-11DC-4FCF-9C34-49576F891920.jpeg

78C73F5A-E982-46C9-9AE3-25F36F433AF1.jpeg

The voltage looks about right and the temps don't really look too bad to me if it is running 4.5GHz on all cores at once.  I would not sweat it.  If you really wanted you could probably lower vcore by around .02v.