What is recommended?

KieronGamesX105

Hi everyone! I've currently hit a bit of a speed bump in my build. I went onto PC part picker a while back and I had picked everything out, everything was compatable and the wattage was 50w below the power supply I picked out for it (450w +80 bronze if that bit makes any difference) 

But after doing some digging around I've been told I need to upgrade by at least 50 or so w. Is that true? 

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X

GPU: GTX1080ti

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB x 2

Case: 275R Carbide 

Motherboard: 470X gaming plus

The PSU probably could manage your hardware but it would be close. A 1080 ti not overclocked consumes around 290 Watts and a 270X can need over 100 Watts.

I would upgrade to a better PSU like a 600 W because PSU's also get quieter if they are not under full load.

If you do not overclock then you can run the system fine.

But the psu will probably be noisy.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

personally i've always over spec'd my psu's as even the best brands will still degrade slightly over time and the more expensive ones tend to come with higher efficiency and my personal choice the Corsair RM850 and RM1000X both have zero fan mode where the cooling fan only comes on when its drawing over a certain amount and with the 850 in my main rig i'm confident the fan has never turned on.

not that you will need something so crazy for your setup but its food for thought that a psu has more to offer than just its output.

looks like the Antec VP500 plus is a pretty good sweet spot right now with good eficiency a silent fan mode and only £40 but scan has got loads of good choices at the moment.

For that spec of hardware, especially if you plan to overclock I'd say you should have at least a 500W PSU

I have slightly lower spec than you (R5 1600 and GTX 1070) and I have a Corsair RM550x because of the extra headroom it gives me for overclocking and for the better efficiency and acoustics. I'd say at least get that or maybe even step up to the 650W version. Your PSU is not where you wanna cut corners to save cash especially when you have core components that high end.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

2 minutes ago, Inversion said:

For that spec of hardware, especially if you plan to overclock I'd say you should have at least a 500W PSU

I have slightly lower spec than you (R5 1600 and GTX 1070) and I have a Corsair RM550x because of the extra headroom it gives me for overclocking and for the better efficiency and acoustics. I'd say at least get that or maybe even step up to the 650W version. Your PSU is not where you wanna cut corners to save cash especially when you have core components that high end.

What if I'm not looking to overclock?

41 minutes ago, nicsch said:

The PSU probably could manage your hardware but it would be close. A 1080 ti not overclocked consumes around 290 Watts and a 270X can need over 100 Watts.

I would upgrade to a better PSU like a 600 W because PSU's also get quieter if they are not under full load.

Would a 550w be ok or is 600w just the way to go?

19 minutes ago, KieronGamesX105 said:

What if I'm not looking to overclock?

Then a 500-550W would probably be better I think. 450W is just cutting it a bit close and will probably be quite loud.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Just now, KieronGamesX105 said:

Would a 550w be ok or is 600w just the way to go?

Personally I would go 600W because if you upgrade down the line you might be able to keep it instead of having to upgrade it with the new component. 

I have a 750W unit for a R5-1600 and RX580 but I will probs get another 580 and use cross fire, along with the new Ryzen chips. 

Means I have one less thing to try and sell on Ebay 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

1 minute ago, YaBoiWill said:

Personally I would go 600W because if you upgrade down the line you might be able to keep it instead of having to upgrade it with the new component. 

I have a 750W unit for a R5-1600 and RX580 but I will probs get another 580 and use cross fire, along with the new Ryzen chips. 

Means I have one less thing to try and sell on Ebay 

Gotcha, thanks for the help man! 

1 hour ago, nicsch said:

1080 Ti with overclocked 9900k and all other components use up to 450W. I highly doubt non-OC'd 1080 Ti uses 65% of that figure. 

28 minutes ago, KieronGamesX105 said:

Gotcha, thanks for the help man! 

Something along the lines of PP11 500W would be enough, especially if you don't overclock. You would be looking at around 350-370W consumption under load at stock

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

15 hours ago, Inversion said:

Then a 500-550W would probably be better I think. 450W is just cutting it a bit close and will probably be quite loud.

No. That's not how it works. A PSU will produce almost the same amount of heat, if it's a 450W supply, or a 650W supply; it's just physics. If 92% of the AC power is converted into DC power, 8% of that power is turned into heat.

After a certain point, the larger wattage PSU will have a more aggressive fan curve, because the heatsinks in it will be the same as a lower wattage supply (if it's the same platform). So because of that, it needs to have more airflow to move the heat away.

16 hours ago, SamuraiXV1 said:

looks like the Antec VP500 plus is a pretty good sweet spot right now with good eficiency a silent fan mode and only £40 but scan has got loads of good choices at the moment.

I'm not a fan of the tier list but for obscure stuff like this the list is pretty good actually... (not for mainstream stuff , though , independent reviews by computerbase.de / jonnyguru / aris are better for judging quality) 

It's a tier 6 which is 2 tiers below trash like the Seasonic s12ii / m12ii / evo and Corsair cx green label. Probably group regulated garbage with tons of missing protections (i.e. its a bomb). Would not recommend.

@KieronGamesX105 

If you live in the U.S. I would recommend the Bitfenix Whisper M 550W on amazon for $80, if you live anywhere else go to https://pcpartpicker.com/list and pick the cheapest out of: Bitfenix Whisper M 550W, Corsair RMx 2018, be quiet! Straight Power 11 (although if sp11/whisper m are within 5 or less euros of the rmx, choose those instead because of multi rail)

16 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

No. That's not how it works. A PSU will produce almost the same amount of heat, if it's a 450W supply, or a 650W supply; it's just physics. If 92% of the AC power is converted into DC power, 8% of that power is turned into heat.

After a certain point, the larger wattage PSU will have a more aggressive fan curve, because the heatsinks in it will be the same as a lower wattage supply (if it's the same platform). So because of that, it needs to have more airflow to move the heat away.

I'm gonna preface this with the fact that I am a Physics student and understand the basic laws of Thermodynamics at play here. But it is also reasonable to assume that a power supply that is built to run at a higher wattage will have a cooling system capable of dealing with the heat produced by a greater power. Therefore given that when the variable is the power supply as the components will use the same power regardless of what it is connected to. Therefore the higher wattage power supply will reasonably have more thermal headroom and will not need to ramp up its fan quite as much to cool the heat produced by the power draw.

1 hour ago, Inversion said:

I'm gonna preface this with the fact that I am a Physics student and understand the basic laws of Thermodynamics at play here. But it is also reasonable to assume that a power supply that is built to run at a higher wattage will have a cooling system capable of dealing with the heat produced by a greater power. Therefore given that when the variable is the power supply as the components will use the same power regardless of what it is connected to. Therefore the higher wattage power supply will reasonably have more thermal headroom and will not need to ramp up its fan quite as much to cool the heat produced by the power draw.

What IS true is that a higher wattage PSU will tend to have more robust parts that can tolerate higher heat and therefore need less active cooling. 

But taking advantage of that scenario requires a PSU engineering team that understands that and not just slapping a thermostatically controlled fan in a PSU.