My gigabyte RTX 2080 is insanely loud.

Bingis

A couple months back I noticed that my gigabyte RTX 2080 was ramping up and down, I put a fan curve on but that seems to have done absolutely nothing. That may be due to their absolutely atrocious software or the GPU itself. I also noticed that when I put the fans on manual to 100% speed, that is quieter than it gets when on my fan curve or in auto. It's too late to return and I don't know if this would fall under any type of warranty as It does not seem to impact the performance. The card also only reaches a max of 80 degrees celcius but usually hovers around 75ish degrees celcius. The game I was able to get the ramping up in down be the most apparent is Minecraft with shaders actually. However this happens in almost all my games.

What are you using to control the fan speed? You should be using either MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X software. These are the best software to use to control GPUs. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd say you should probably see about setting a custom fan curve. I have no clue what its problem is, perhaps a sensor is misreporting and causing it to freak out

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

What are you using to control the fan speed? You should be using either MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X software. These are the best software to use to control GPUs. 

I tried using MSI afterburner but it does not allow me to change the fan speed I don't know why but someone on reddit said it may be that gigabyte won't let 3rd party programs chnage that stuff. I can try EVGA though

2 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

Does the GPU have dual BIOS? if it has, try changnig to second bios 

How can I check if it has dual BIOS or how do I access it?

2 hours ago, Cyracus said:

I'd say you should probably see about setting a custom fan curve. I have no clue what its problem is, perhaps a sensor is misreporting and causing it to freak out

I said that I tried suing one and the problem only got worse, the fan speed would ramp up ever other 2 seconds or so. It did not even seem to follow the curve as it immediatly wen tto 100% when reaching 70 degrees even though I did not set it to that.

41 minutes ago, Bingis said:

How can I check if it has dual BIOS or how do I access it?

what model of gigabyte rtx do you have?

Install DDU and do a clean driver update. Had similar issues with card ramping up and down. 

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

• 5 months later...

Did you solve this? I have the exact same issue after having used the RTX 2080 for a year (I checked it's not dust build up).

I think the problem is overheating. I saw it slowly climb to 82°C when under almost 100% load, then start to thermal throttle and the fans start to jet for around 5s which I assume is emergency cooling because it's much louder than spinning at actual 100% speed.

Update: Sent card for repair, came back fine for half a month, then the problem is back again. Also, after repair, the card starts to have the infamous ticking sound issue when fans are at low RPM! Tough luck I guess...

Update2: The clicking sound is caused by a fan cable that was not properly put into place and brushing against the fan. There are slots under the fan for cables to lay flat in, but the cable in question was just half-jammed into it.

p.s. OP's GPU core speed shows 1890/1935 mHz, is it manually overclocked? It seem to be higher than the specs listed on the website for any version of 2080. Though in my case I haven't done any manual overclock.

• 6 months later...

I have this exact problem.

My girlfriend and I built exactly the same PCs each with a gigabyte aorus RTX2080, hers how ever started having the same problem as OP with the fans spinning too full speed for a few second then stopping then doing it again after a few seconds. I noticed this happened exactly when the GPU temp reached 81 degrees Celsius. The way I (sort of) fixed it was using MSI afterburner to manually set the GPU's temperature target to 72. for some reason it only allows the GPU to reach 80 degrees C which is 1 degree under the point where the fans spin at full speed making the noise. As a result the GPU never makes the noises again unless the MSI afterburner setting reset in which case you just need to set it back to 72.

Exactly the same problem here, but with RTX 2080ti windforce. I have a SLI-setup and my fans go loco around 84-85 celsius. Tried setting the gpu temp target to 75 degrees (in aourus engine, dont know how to set temperature in afterburner) as Chief Queef suggested, but it still goes to 85 degrees and makes that annoying fan noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edit: I found out how to set the gpu temp in afterburner and BAM. The card is quiet as it used to be. Maintaining 4k/60 in REmake 2 without that irritating vacuum cleaner-sound. Don´t know if that´s the ideal sollution, but thanks a million Chief Queef for making my life better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Did you ever solve this issue? I have the exact same problem and have been looking for ages for a solution but I can't find one. 

• 2 months later...

I FOUND THE SOLUTION! After months of the EXACT same issue and stumbling around different posts trying to see if anyone had found it. I'd tried fresh OS installs, completely reinstalling my graphics drivers, using MSI to manually set a fan speed, and none of it worked. UNTIL someone on reddit mentioned that there's a gigabyte software (I have the gigabyte rtx2080 version and I failed to DL it initially) found here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility/Graphics-Card

and all you have to do is adjust your "Target Temp" to 65C instead of the default 80C or w/e it was. Now, with no other changes to the default settings, it's running 1440p 144hz on whatever game w/ no excessive fan spinning up/down. Hope this works for people!

• 2 months later...

Outdated, but, ... For all the "me" that have that problem with an RTX, change the thermic paste and it will work just as when you bought it ! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 5:46 AM, cristoZz_ said:

Outdated, but, ... For all the "me" that have that problem with an RTX, change the thermic paste and it will work just as when you bought it ! 

Not really outdated, this is still happening to people.  the only problem with doing that is you have to pull it apart, and that breaks the warranty.  They should have used paste that lasts longer than a few months...

• 2 years later...
On 6/13/2020 at 3:14 AM, NeonCathedral said:

I FOUND THE SOLUTION! After months of the EXACT same issue and stumbling around different posts trying to see if anyone had found it. I'd tried fresh OS installs, completely reinstalling my graphics drivers, using MSI to manually set a fan speed, and none of it worked. UNTIL someone on reddit mentioned that there's a gigabyte software (I have the gigabyte rtx2080 version and I failed to DL it initially) found here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility/Graphics-Card

and all you have to do is adjust your "Target Temp" to 65C instead of the default 80C or w/e it was. Now, with no other changes to the default settings, it's running 1440p 144hz on whatever game w/ no excessive fan spinning up/down. Hope this works for people!

I just quickly want to clarify for anyone thats reading this in 2023 and after.

If you click the link you will see that the top suggestion is the Gigabyte Control Center which DOES NOT WORK with older cards like the 2080. I tried installing, reinstalling, doing a full Bios update, restarting multiple times and even reverting back to the 2022 version but nothing changed, the fan control did not show up for me. 

What ended up fixing my issue and what i think @NeonCathedral was meaning to say is that you need to install the Aorus Engine and go into "Professional Mode" and from there you can find the "Target Temp" option on the bottom which is by default set to 83C but we want it to be as low as it goes so we will set it to 65C.  

I hope this helps! 

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 1:46 AM, YDC said:

I just quickly want to clarify for anyone thats reading this in 2023 and after.

If you click the link you will see that the top suggestion is the Gigabyte Control Center which DOES NOT WORK with older cards like the 2080. I tried installing, reinstalling, doing a full Bios update, restarting multiple times and even reverting back to the 2022 version but nothing changed, the fan control did not show up for me. 

What ended up fixing my issue and what i think @NeonCathedral was meaning to say is that you need to install the Aorus Engine and go into "Professional Mode" and from there you can find the "Target Temp" option on the bottom which is by default set to 83C but we want it to be as low as it goes so we will set it to 65C.  

I hope this helps! 

I don't know if it will work but you can do the same directly from the geforce experience overlay, performance tab, it's what i use to OC the card, since it's what all the manufacturers use at the end of the day to build their tools on top of it

CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor @4.25

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

RAM: G.Skill Flare X @3200Mhz 14-14-14-34-48-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)