what is the diffrence between a 2.5" ssd and a nvme ssd

Vented_Swing_6295

NVME is a type of memory, typically used on SSD's that have a M.2 form factor that use the PCIE interface on your motherboard.

A 2.5" SSD is an SSD that uses the 'more standard' 2.5" for factor (duh :P) which uses the SATA interface to connect to your motherboard. It needs a SATA data and power cable.

Simply put, an M.2 PCIE SSD is faster (partially because faster interface) and uses no cable of any kind, since you insert it right into your motherboard.

2.5" SSD's you have to actually connect with cables and screw somewhere into your case (well... you don't have to ... but you're suppose to).

There is a midway between these two: M.2 SATA SSD's. SSD's that also connect via the M.2 connector on your board, but use the SATA interface. They are as fast as 2.5" SATA drives, but have the advantage of being able to connect with no cables. Typically they have the same speeds and very similar prices compared to their 2.5" SATA counterparts.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

NVME is a type of memory, typically used on SSD's that have a M.2 form factor that use the PCIE interface on your motherboard.

A 2.5" SSD is an SSD that uses the 'more standard' 2.5" for factor (duh :P) which uses the SATA interface to connect to your motherboard. It needs a SATA data and power cable.

Simply put, an M.2 PCIE SSD is faster (partially because faster interface) and uses no cable of any kind, since you insert it right into your motherboard.

2.5" SSD's you have to actually connect with cables and screw somewhere into your case (well... you don't have to ... but you're suppose to).

There is a midway between these two: M.2 SATA SSD's. SSD's that also connect via the M.2 connector on your board, but use the SATA interface. They are as fast as 2.5" SATA drives, but have the advantage of being able to connect with no cables. Typically they have the same speeds and very similar prices compared to their 2.5" SATA counterparts.

so I was adding an nvme ssd and I got this "

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled"

I didnt understand and is there a way to fix this I would really appreciate if you helped me out here

3 minutes ago, Vented_Swing_6295 said:

so I was adding an nvme ssd and I got this "

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled"

I didnt understand and is there a way to fix this I would really appreciate if you helped me out here

It's not an issue, more like a warning.

Your motherboard has a couple SATA ports (t might be 8, but 6 is more common) and this warning merely tells you "hey, you can either use an M.2 slot or all SATA ports". 

Your motherboard manual might have a neat diagram for this; but that usually shows some configurations on what ports are disabled and which are not when dealing with an M.2 SSD.

This is nothing to worry about, since most people don't need all the SATA ports on the motherboard.

Just for reference, items that use a SATA port on your motherboard include:

- Hard drives

- Optical drives (DVD and blu ray)

- SSD's that are not M.2

- that's basically it.. I could mention HDD quickswap bays.. But those are quite uncommon now.

9 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@Minibois It is not a type of memory. NVME is a protocol like SATA.

oopsie

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

It's not an issue, more like a warning.

Your motherboard has a couple SATA ports (t might be 8, but 6 is more common) and this warning merely tells you "hey, you can either use an M.2 slot or all SATA ports". 

Your motherboard manual might have a neat diagram for this; but that usually shows some configurations on what ports are disabled and which are not when dealing with an M.2 SSD.

This is nothing to worry about, since most people don't need all the SATA ports on the motherboard.

Just for reference, items that use a SATA port on your motherboard include:

- Hard drives

- Optical drives (DVD and blu ray)

- SSD's that are not M.2

- that's basically it.. I could mention HDD quickswap bays.. But those are quite uncommon now.

oopsie

thanks so much