Memory Usage differentiate in Taskmanager: Memoryleak?

Mike87
Go to solution Solved by ZeouLs,

Yep, Users sums up every process the user started one way or another that isn't form the OS. But take that with a grain of salt since usually processes reserve more RAM than they are currently using in case they need to store more data in RAM. Also usually the OS takes plenty of RAM and frees it up when you are close to a shortage. There is also a thing called Superfetch though idk if your OS supports it which basically is the OS stores some data of frequently used programms to make the startup faster. So there goes another portion of your RAM. I mean you can try it yourself. Open up a programm and see how much RAM is used in the Performance Tab close again and see the result for yourself. I just did it with Thunderbird and processes said it used 130MB but once I closed it, it actually were 200MB since it had reserved a lil tad more than it uses

EDIT: here is mozilla Processes vs actually reserved

Spoiler

image.png.027e58bfb7bc0cfccd6cc80c64a96242.png

image.png.6f7e8074e40dfb8c9c59587b181b1fcb.png

Zugesichert = Reserved RAM

Arbeitssatz = Currently used

Freiga... = Reserved RAM that could be freed for other processes

Just calculated and Firefox has reserved about 2.8 Gigs despite only using about 1 Gig @Mike87

Hi all,

I am working on an Windows Server 2012R2 and I noticed that the RAM Usage shown in the processes does not match up with the information in the performance tab. If I add up all processes I get about 3GB RAM Usage, but in performance it is showing me 8,5GB used. Even the Resource Monitor doesnt show any more processes.

Can someone explain this? There is no other User logged on, Ive checked that.

Thanks.

Spoiler

image.png.4e8ac989bc5c4d26a9041d11e62038fa.png

image.png.b6de8f1e4c6eb4c3481b370e37e1eb53.png

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

There is a set pool your OS reserves from your total RAM to operate. This is not shown in the processes tab but once you switch over to performance you can see it. I got 32Gigs of RAM and have VM's running with 6GB each. Now according to Processes I only use about 2-3 Gigs but in the performance tab I'm using about 20. That's because a big slice of the cake goes into a reserved state for my Virtual Machines and the OS you are operating on itself.

EDIT: Another way to check how much RAM you use is by going to users tab, which sums up all the processes

Spoiler

image.png.a1433340f6262d3f6cc683da56947a39.pngimage.png.cda730a6a07bc5ce3b9611d64491e3be.png

4 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

There is a set pool your OS reserves from your total RAM to operate. This is not shown in the processes tab but once you switch over to performance you can see it. I got 32Gigs of RAM and have VM's running with 6GB each. Now according to Processes I only use about 2-3 Gigs but in the performance tab I'm using about 20. That's because a big slice of the cake goes into a reserved state for my Virtual Machines and the OS you are operating on itself.

EDIT: Another way to check how much RAM you use is by going to users tab, which sums up all the processes

Thank you for the reply!

Ok, so I checked the Users Tab and it is telling me 618MB RAM Usage... So if I understand this correctly then everything I manually started (Firefox, Windows Explorer, etc.) only uses 600MB RAM. Now my Process Tab shows me about 3,2GB RAM usage. Those are services like System, etc.? And my OS, Win 2012R2 takes up the rest ~5GB? Isn't that a "bit" too much?

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

Yep, Users sums up every process the user started one way or another that isn't form the OS. But take that with a grain of salt since usually processes reserve more RAM than they are currently using in case they need to store more data in RAM. Also usually the OS takes plenty of RAM and frees it up when you are close to a shortage. There is also a thing called Superfetch though idk if your OS supports it which basically is the OS stores some data of frequently used programms to make the startup faster. So there goes another portion of your RAM. I mean you can try it yourself. Open up a programm and see how much RAM is used in the Performance Tab close again and see the result for yourself. I just did it with Thunderbird and processes said it used 130MB but once I closed it, it actually were 200MB since it had reserved a lil tad more than it uses

EDIT: here is mozilla Processes vs actually reserved

Spoiler

image.png.027e58bfb7bc0cfccd6cc80c64a96242.png

image.png.6f7e8074e40dfb8c9c59587b181b1fcb.png

Zugesichert = Reserved RAM

Arbeitssatz = Currently used

Freiga... = Reserved RAM that could be freed for other processes

Just calculated and Firefox has reserved about 2.8 Gigs despite only using about 1 Gig @Mike87

3 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

hmm okay. Makes sense somehow I think :/

So what can I do to see the real usage right now? Not what is reserved but what is really used at this moment.

thanks!

My Setup: 

Open task manager, go to performance tab and at the bottom open ressource monitor. There open the RAM tab and you get all the information

3 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

Open task manager, go to performance tab and at the bottom open ressource monitor. There open the RAM tab and you get all the information

Danke ;)

I will give it a try and see if I can reconstruct this :D

My Setup: