HP Pavilion P7-1010 No video

Donut417

So as the title says I got one of these old ass HP computers. Or I should say my mom does. About a week ago we had issues where the screen would not turn on after the computer was woken from sleep. So I did a test by taking the tower and plugging it in to my TV. My TV is one of the only ones in the house with VGA. The computer had issues until I replaced the VGA cable. Then it worked. We'll now it's happening again. I'm fresh out of VGA cables but the machine has a DVI-D connection. So I used my DVI to HDMI cord and still nothing. The only difference is I'm using my mom's TV as it's next to the computer. 

So whatcha think.... The computer finally dead? I thought maybe the iGPU might have died. But the only dedicated GPU is in my gaming rig and I'm sure if I plugged into this machine fire would happen or at the very least the GPU and or the PSU would die.

Oh btw the display can detect if a cable is connected. Just bitches about no signal. Not sure if that helps.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So as the title says I got one of these old ass HP computers. Or I should say my mom does. About a week ago we had issues where the screen would not turn on after the computer was woken from sleep. So I did a test by taking the tower and plugging it in to my TV. My TV is one of the only ones in the house with VGA. The computer had issues until I replaced the VGA cable. Then it worked. We'll now it's happening again. I'm fresh out of VGA cables but the machine has a DVI-D connection. So I used my DVI to HDMI cord and still nothing. The only difference is I'm using my mom's TV as it's next to the computer. 

So whatcha think.... The computer finally dead? I thought maybe the iGPU might have died. But the only dedicated GPU is in my gaming rig and I'm sure if I plugged into this machine fire would happen or at the very least the GPU and or the PSU would die.

Oh btw the display can detect if a cable is connected. Just bitches about no signal. Not sure if that helps.

Can you try this for me.  See when you turn on the comp if the HDD led turns on and blinking noting hd activity.  I want to see if it will boot into winblows and the only way without a screen is to hear the Chime noise on startup or see the hard disk drive work a lot for a minute or so.  Then we know the system isnt dead, and probably just needs a dedicated video card is my hunch.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

If you don't wanna touch your rig then just buy her a POS video card.  Im assuming its PCIe so just grab a 1030 GTX or AMD equivalent.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

52 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Can you try this for me.  See when you turn on the comp if the HDD led turns on and blinking noting hd activity.  I want to see if it will boot into winblows and the only way without a screen is to hear the Chime noise on startup or see the hard disk drive work a lot for a minute or so.  Then we know the system isnt dead, and probably just needs a dedicated video card is my hunch.

I know the computer boots up to Windows. 1 the hard drive works, I tested it with my USB to hard disk adapter to verify the data. 2 I got picture for 30 seconds using DVI to HDMI plugged in to my older Samsung TV. On VGA is will not display any images and it actually makes my TV act weird. The power LED blinks and it seems like it has a hard time changing source. On DVI-HDMI it only displays a picture if I hold the power button in for a few seconds. It shows the log in screen. 

A few things I did notice about this machine. The motherboard uses a 24 pin port but the PSU is only a 20 pin. That another reason I dont want to put a GPU in it, for fear of stressing a OLD psu out. Plus I couldn't put my HD7950 in it as it doesn't even have PCIe Power Plugs and I dont have any adapters. If the iGPU did die, its best we buy a new one, because that means either the CPU or the motherboard (Where ever the iGPU is located on that machine) is probably giving up the ghost. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.