Budget Air Cooler for Ryzen 5 2600

Go to solution Solved by hello_there_123,
Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I wouldn't recommend a budget CPU cooler for a 2600. It's stock cooler is good and it's not worth the money to buy an aftermarket cooler for it unless you are buying an expensive cooler. 

Stock cooler gets 3.7-3.9ghz on turbo, while a $25 cooler like the Contac Silent 12 can take up to 1.4V (which is Ryzen's hard limit before silicon degradation starts to increase rapidly anyway) which usually corresponds to 4.1 or 4.2ghz. You can see the results here: https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/page8.html

Looking for recommendation for an Air Cooler so i can mildly overclock this cpu.

CRYORIG m9a, Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Thermaltake Contac Silent 12

p.s. ignore anyone who mentions the dark rock pro 4 or the nh-d15

3 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

p.s. ignore anyone who mentions the dark rock pro 4 or the nh-d15

Why?

both are very decent air coolers. Noctua one of the best air coolers out there...

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, seoz said:

Probably because the Dark Rock Pro 4 and NH-D15 fall out of the 'budget' category.

Still an odd way of telling this. Writes it as if they are bad.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

Why?

Ryzen's almost never temperature/cooler bottlenecked in its clockspeed, it's always voltage bottlenecked instead (1.4v and above is dangerous to its lifetime).

I wouldn't recommend a budget CPU cooler for a 2600. It's stock cooler is good and it's not worth the money to buy an aftermarket cooler for it unless you are buying an expensive cooler. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Stock cooler gets 3.7-3.9ghz on turbo, while a $25 cooler like the Contac Silent 12 can take up to 1.4V (which is Ryzen's hard limit before silicon degradation starts to increase rapidly anyway) which usually corresponds to 4.1 or 4.2ghz. You can see the results here: https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/page8.html

4 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Ryzen has a steep voltage curve. It takes very little voltage to get to close to its peak but after that it increases exponentially. The difference in overclocking potential with a 25 dollar CPU cooler is small. I would have to disagree about a 25 dollar cooler being capable of cooling a 2600 at 1.4v and 4.1 to 4.2 volts because I have overclocked a 2600 before with an evo 212. On the stock cooler it reached 3.9 easily and was quite cool with a low voltage of 1.25v. To get it to 4.1 it took 1.4v and with the 212 evo it was uncomfortably hot to the point where it would fail thermal stress. If you want to overclock to get the last but of frequency you want to do so with a cooler capable of keeping it cool because even though you might get it to run on a cheaper cooler that doesn't mean it is stable. I have made that mistake before and had my computer thermal shutdown in a middle of a game. 

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ryzen has a steep voltage curve. It takes very little voltage to get to close to its peak but after that it increases exponentially. The difference in overclocking potential with a 25 dollar CPU cooler is small. I would have to disagree about a 25 dollar cooler being capable of cooling a 2600 at 1.4v and 4.1 to 4.2 volts because I have overclocked a 2600 before with an evo 212. On the stock cooler it reached 3.9 easily and was quite cool with a low voltage of 1.25v. To get it to 4.1 it took 1.4v and with the 212 evo it was uncomfortably hot to the point where it would fail thermal stress. If you want to overclock to get the last but of frequency you want to do so with a cooler capable of keeping it cool because even though you might get it to run on a cheaper cooler that doesn't mean it is stable. I have made that mistake before and had my computer thermal shutdown in a middle of a game. 

Yes now that I am reading what OC discord/subreddit said I retract my previous claim, 1.35v may be safer as it *probably* won't make a difference in clockspeed. Some people said that 1.4v is dangerous for daily use as it will degrade the 2600 quickly compared to 1.35v.