How to apply a Sensor on the VRM

Enzo1998
Go to solution Solved by CharminUltraStrong,
Just now, Enzo1998 said:

so I ned to put it on the Heatsink, and stop??

Yes but again it's COMPLETELY unnecessary, I don't know anyone that does this outside of competitive over clockers. You don't need one until you get to LN2/dry ice cooling. Again, your motherboards "System temperature" reads VRM temps. Only reason people use thermistors is because at a certain degree under 0 the computer stops reporting the temperature accurately. 

Hello guys how can I apply a Sensor to see the temps of vrm on my X370F Strix??

Use HWiNFO64. It will likely have a few sensors labeled something like "Motherboard" or "VRM" that will tell you the VRM temperatures.

There's also the option of just shoving a thermocouple on them, the preferred method if you're intending to do crazy stuff with your VRMs like dry ice or LN2 overclocking.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

12 minutes ago, Enzo1998 said:

Hello guys how can I apply a Sensor to see the temps of vrm on my X370F Strix??

You already have the ability to see it. VRM temps are classed as "Motherboard temperature" from my understanding, I could be wrong. If in doubt, your motherboard has a thermistor cable connection. Thermistors are temp sensors that are used for measuring surface temperatures so you'd stick it on to a VRM heatsink. It's in your motherboard manual, next time if in doubt check the manual. Mobo manuals almost always answer all your questions. Unless you're doing SERIOUS over clocking, not like bumping a ryzen chip up to 4.8 or 5.0 ghz but real serious stuff then you won't need to care about VRM temps esp. on a decent board like the X370 STRIX

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Use HWiNFO64. It will likely have a few sensors labeled something like "Motherboard" or "VRM" that will tell you the VRM temperatures.

There's also the option of just shoving a thermocouple on them, the preferred method if you're intending to do crazy stuff with your VRMs like dry ice or LN2 overclocking.

I just have a 2 pin thermal sensor that I can put on the motherbord header, but I don't know how to place it to read properly the temps on the vrm.
I wanna do It because the motherbord don't have a his own VRM Sensor, so I don't know what is the temperature

1 minute ago, Enzo1998 said:

I just have a 2 pin thermal sensor that I can put on the motherbord header, but I don't know how to place it to read properly the temps on the vrm.
I wanna do It because the motherbord don't have a his own VRM Sensor, so I don't know what is the temperature

Just stick it under the big heatsinks next to your CPU. That will do you good enough.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Just stick it under the big heatsinks next to your CPU. That will do you good enough.

If you stick it under the heatsinks then the VRMs won't make contact with the heatsink lmao. You can't just stick a thermistor under a heatsink, that's impossible.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

?? thank you

OP please read what I said in my previous post.

7 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

You already have the ability to see it. VRM temps are classed as "Motherboard temperature" from my understanding, I could be wrong. If in doubt, your motherboard has a thermistor cable connection. Thermistors are temp sensors that are used for measuring surface temperatures so you'd stick it on to a VRM heatsink. It's in your motherboard manual, next time if in doubt check the manual. Mobo manuals almost always answer all your questions. Unless you're doing SERIOUS over clocking, not like bumping a ryzen chip up to 4.8 or 5.0 ghz but real serious stuff then you won't need to care about VRM temps esp. on a decent board like the X370 STRIX

You can't put a thermistor cable under a heatsink, even if you did (like if it's one of the pad ones) you wouldn't be making any thermal conductivity between the VRM and the heatsink so you'll have a useless chunk of metal and a burned up VRM.

The Louvre

13 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Just now, Enzo1998 said:

Yes but again it's COMPLETELY unnecessary, I don't know anyone that does this outside of competitive over clockers. You don't need one until you get to LN2/dry ice cooling. Again, your motherboards "System temperature" reads VRM temps. Only reason people use thermistors is because at a certain degree under 0 the computer stops reporting the temperature accurately. 

The Louvre

4 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Thank you for the Help and the explanation

Thank you for the Help and the explanation

Not a problemo ?

The Louvre

18 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

If you stick it under the heatsinks then the VRMs won't make contact with the heatsink lmao. You can't just stick a thermistor under a heatsink, that's impossible.

Not on top of the VRMs, next to the VRMs, hopefully touching. There's plenty of space under the thermal pads that touch the VRMs.

<uber_pedantry> A thermocouple isn't a thermistor </uber_pedantry>

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Not on top of the VRMs, next to the VRMs, hopefully touching. There's plenty of space under the thermal pads that touch the VRMs.

<uber_pedantry> A thermocouple isn't a thermistor </uber_pedantry>

I'm aware of this, I never mentioned "thermocouples" only "thermistors" so I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Plus the heat from the side of a VRM won't be the same the top of the surface where the heat is being pulled to. That exposed side could be getting more direct airflow which means better cooling. Since thermistors measure surface temps it'd be quite inaccurate without a proper setup which the OP does not need.

The Louvre