Best way to clean a RAM slot?

Go to solution Solved by mxk,
46 minutes ago, allthegoodmemesaretaken said:

because they are old and have never been used? and i want them to work like new?

Just use the compressed air. If you use the cleaner just leave it to try for a somewhat unreasonable amount of time to be safe.

i recently bought new RAM, but the slots in which I want to put them are very old and have never been used.

This is the contact cleaner that I'm going to use. (i've no other choice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHZ58Dd0HI

i think of 2 ways.

1. Unplug everything from the motherboard and clean it with an electric duster then apply the contact cleaner directly on the Slots.

or

2. Instead of applying the contact cleaner directly, moisten a RAM stick with contact cleaner and take it in/out the slot a few times to remove corrosion. Could the friction plus the contact cleaner damage the slot? like set it on Fire or something like that?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

try just inserting the ram into the slot and not fucking around with cleaning the contacts

it'll most likely work, if not, then blow it out with compressed air

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Clean it for what reason? 

because they are old and have never been used? and i want them to work like new?

31 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

@allthegoodmemesaretaken just blow dry it with a compact air can. if you want to use contact cleaner use something like amberton etc. but you will need to let the mobo dry out. and use compact air to dry it thoroughly. 

Yes, I would like to use the contact cleaner, i've read that cleaning them with a moistened RAM with contact cleaner would do the job, but I'm afraid that with the friction i could set it on fire, or is it very unlikely?

45 minutes ago, allthegoodmemesaretaken said:

i recently bought new RAM, but the slots in which I want to put them are very old and have never been used.

This is the contact cleaner that I'm going to use. (i've no other choice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHZ58Dd0HI

i think of 2 ways.

1. Unplug everything from the motherboard and clean it with an electric duster then apply the contact cleaner directly on the Slots.

or

2. Instead of applying the contact cleaner directly, moisten a RAM stick with contact cleaner and take it in/out the slot a few times to remove corrosion. Could the friction plus the contact cleaner damage the slot? like set it on Fire or something like that?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

You can ue Contact Cleaner.  google her in.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

46 minutes ago, allthegoodmemesaretaken said:

Just use the compressed air. If you use the cleaner just leave it to try for a somewhat unreasonable amount of time to be safe.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

58 minutes ago, allthegoodmemesaretaken said:

And how do you know that they do not work like new? 

Unless you are literally dipping the motherboard in dirt, blowing the slots with some air will do

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

In the past I have restored and repurposed old xeon servers which some were in extremely bad shape with layers of dust. I would start with a duster, compressed air or an electric duster. Then use a toothbrush to brush certain areas to break away caked on dust such as pci-e lanes and DIMM's (ram slots). Then use the duster again.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

23 hours ago, themctipers said:

try just inserting the ram into the slot and not fucking around with cleaning the contacts

it'll most likely work, if not, then blow it out with compressed air

CLEAN compressed air... Air directly from a compressor may contain water, oil, and all manner of airborne filth. The air should be from a can, or run through several filters and a moisture trap before touching the mobo. 

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 2:52 PM, Lord Mirdalan said:

CLEAN compressed air... Air directly from a compressor may contain water, oil, and all manner of airborne filth. The air should be from a can, or run through several filters and a moisture trap before touching the mobo. 

Hi,

still regarding the cleaning the RAM Slot. I recently experienced non booting pc due to ram slot. i tried the other slot since I have 2 ram slots and it worked. Now, I have another RAM and I inserted it in the previously with trouble slot. Tried cleaning it using paint brush with mild strokes and it worked for about 2 hours. Now I'm experiencing blue screen error saying my pc/OS have a problem. does this mean my the ram slot I cleaned is damaged?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks @candle86.

Another question:

I have a core i3 2nd Gen processor with a DDR3 MOBO and I'm planning to upgrade it. I'm thinking of upgrading first the motherboard into a ddr4 or ddr5. Does the 2nd Gen processor can still run on the new MOBO?

thanks in Advance.