Will installing a PCIe x4 NVME drive halve my gpu pcie lanes?

ICZ

I red a lot about this and have not yet come to a final conclusion. My motherboard is a Gigabyte z270 k3, with a i5 7600k.

I bought and addlink s70 pcie 3.0 x4 240gb nvme ssd. From what I know installing that drive wont change my gpu connection speed (16x) because the m2 port on my mobo is configured to use chipset lanes.

I already have 2 hdd on raid 0 and 2 sata ssds for storage on the same motherboard.

Will the performance of the rest of the drives or the connection of the gpu  (msi r390 8gb right now might change it later) be affected in any way?

Read the Manual of the Board, there the PCIe Lane thing is mentioned.

Or at least it should.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

depends on whether or not the NVMe is wired directly to the CPU or uses Chipset lanes (and subsequently a DMI link). But, if it so happens that it DOES use CPU lanes, yes, your PCIe lanes will be reduced to 8x/4x/4x, however that will not effect your GPU performance in any substantial or quantifiable manor.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

51 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Read the Manual of the Board, there the PCIe Lane thing is mentioned.

Or at least it should.

this is the only thing the manual says regarding the lanes and I don't quite understand it, does this mean the m2 in pcie x4 config  uses  cpu lanes? 

image.png.c097e5d1277f0c63cf3419e0d4853064.png

1 minute ago, ICZ said:

this is the only thing the manual says regarding the lanes and I don't quite understand it, does this mean the m2 in pcie x4 config  uses  cpu lanes? 

Not quite but rather warm.

That one is for S-ATA.

It should have another one for PCIe.

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Not quite but rather warm.

That one is for S-ATA.

It should have another one for PCIe.

theres is none for PCIe lanes.

This make me think the m2 slot is part of the chipset(note is listed under chipset and not expansion slots) and uses the DMI to connect to the cpu but the  image above makes doubt, also the reviews of this motherboard show the m2 nvme performance at full speed but I dont really know if they where stressing the chipset with sata drives at the same time(which i will be doing).

image.png.70ba08b346d29dc2aa185dd424f1d861.png

There should/could also be a diagramm of the CPU/Chipset.

But it looks like it uses PCIe Lanes from the Chipset anyway (well, there isn't much alternative to that)...

• 1 month later...

Update it didnt halve my lanes, the NVME drive uses the chipset lanes thru the interconnect