Moving my modem to bedroom, without moving landline phone.

Cjd551

Okay, so I find myself in what seems to be a brainless situation, although there's one small issue.

So my modem is directly below my bedroom, in the living room. I don't run any routers and can't really drill a hole in the floor for a hardwired connection. I can connect on 2.4 and 5 (5 is pretty inconsistent) but I want to hardwire my laptop and xbox and get the most out of what I have. 

Now, the funny part. I have my own coax output in my room and should be able to just move everything up here, I think? Please correct me if im wrong now and I can just disregard the entire thing. Moving on, this isn't my house but nobody would have an issue with the modem being up in my room, it's the stupid landline telephone that's hooked up to it. That phone has to be in the living room and is connected directly to the modem (comcast btw). This seems like an issue that can be easily solved, but is so specific I need an actual person to suggest what I do rather than finding a guide on the internet. 

Only thing that I have thought of myself would be added a wireless router downstairs specifically for just the telephone which seems really stupid and a waste of money, if that's even a possible option. 

Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Buy a wireless phone and put a base station downstairs?

I'm so oblivious to house phones, I didn't know there was really even such thing. I've never owned my own house phone and always just used whatever my parents had as a kid, so, yeah. I'll check bestbuy right now.

So I guess my next question is, would a different coax hookup (the one in my room) change anything or have issues switching the modem to this particular hookup than the one downstairs?

7 minutes ago, Cjd551 said:

I'm so oblivious to house phones, I didn't know there was really even such thing. I've never owned my own house phone and always just used whatever my parents had as a kid, so, yeah. I'll check bestbuy right now.

So I guess my next question is, would a different coax hookup (the one in my room) change anything or have issues switching the modem to this particular hookup than the one downstairs?

You'd have to ask whoever wired the coax in the house.  If it connects to the same cable-hookup that the living room one does, then you're fine.  But we can't tell you if it'll work you'll just have to try it.

10 minutes ago, Cjd551 said:

If the connection works on that Coax connection, then just get something like this.

Have the main base in your room and the supplemental base downstairs.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vtech-cs5119-2-dect-6-0-expandable-cordless-phone-system-gray-black/5180811.p?skuId=5180811

9 hours ago, Cjd551 said:

Any ideas?

Well first Cordless phones have been around for fucking ever. Im 30 years old and had one as a kid. So that solves that issue. The other issue is moving the modem. In order for the modem to get the best signal, Comcast tends to put a two way splitter on the main line that does one side for TV the other for internet. If you have more than one TV then another splitter is used for the TV side of the splitter. Modems require a signal to be kept in a certain spec, more splitters can push it out of that spec. What Im saying is, if the coax in your room has too many splitter's between it and the main line, YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.