Reduce allocated vram on Ryzen mobile

Go to solution Solved by jib9001,

Just an update on this issue:

The latest BIOS update from HP on this laptop reduces the allocated VRAM from 2GB to 1GB which is a significant improvement and helps greatly when I'm working in photoshop, illustrator, and have chrome open. Just wanted to update this thread in case anybody wanted to get this laptop but was put off by the vram issue

I have an HP Envy 13 with a Ryzen 7 2700u. My laptop has 8GB of ram but 2GB is set to be dedicated to the GPU. As a result, I only have 6GB available to windows and I sometimes max this out when I'm doing work on this machine. I don't need 2GB of vram for how I use this laptop, an extra gigabyte of ram would be much more valuable to me. Is there a way I can change this. I haven't been able to find anything yet, but I'm hoping someone here knows something that I don't.

RAM_issue.PNG

You should be able to do that in the BIOS of your motherboard. 

I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, HP doesn't have this option in the BIOS. I was hoping there may be some other way, but it looks like there probably isn't.

oof, only thing i can say now is buy more ram. get a 50$ 8gb stick, or go on ebay to find a cheap 8gb stick of DDR4 for 40$, sell you old 4gb stick for 15-20$.

I don't think I can actually change the RAM, last time I opened it, it up, I don't believe there are sodimm slots, I think they're soldered in place. I'll double check though since I'm not adverse to upgrading my RAM

8 minutes ago, jib9001 said:

I don't think I can actually change the RAM, last time I opened it, it up, I don't believe there are sodimm slots, I think they're soldered in place. I'll double check though since I'm not adverse to upgrading my RAM

I looked into it, the RAM on this device is non removable, so HP really kind of screwed me over on that. However, I got an extremely good deal on the computer through my place of employment, so I can't complain too much

Laptop BIOS usually don't allow this setting to be changed

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this issue:

The latest BIOS update from HP on this laptop reduces the allocated VRAM from 2GB to 1GB which is a significant improvement and helps greatly when I'm working in photoshop, illustrator, and have chrome open. Just wanted to update this thread in case anybody wanted to get this laptop but was put off by the vram issue