Please tell me I didn't damage my cpu/New mobo change,fans max speed

benjiven

To preface. I purchased a second hand Z97 MSI Mobo in great condition second hand to try and fix some stuttering issues in all games, that I'm pretty sure was my mobo after changing EVERY piece of equipment.

I installed windows and everything was fine until about 5 minutes in where all of the fans (or possibly just the cpu fan) revved up to max speed. I naturally turned it off. Same thing again on second restart. Check HW monitor and no temp issues (although it seemed a little erratic)

I looked at the Mobo bios and reset to defaults. I haven't had the issue since.

What I am HUGELY worried about is that there was some sort of OC profile from the previous user that was causing it to overclock my Non OC i7 4790?

What sort of damage could have this done? Pretty upsetting that while trying to fix something I may have taken the edge off or broken my only Cpu. What are the consequences of doing this, potential damage?

Since you don't have a 4790k, the motherboard shouldn't have done anything to actually OC your CPU, profile or not. I would try updating your BIOS, potentially reseating the CPU and/or thermal paste reapplication. If the fans keep having issues, look into setting custom fan curves in the BIOS or in Speedfan. You could also try your old mobo again just to make sure...

As for the stuttering in games, it could be related to your display and/or its cable; it could also be related to what DX version you are running the game in. One of my friends was having display drivers crash and recover, but the game would crash. He eventually swapped every single component (except monitor) and still got the crash. He swapped monitor and one game stopped crashing, then he changed from DX11 to DX10 and fixed another; but he's still having issues with a couple other games.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

If it worked, it will be just fine. Yeah maybe the previous owner overclock it and forgot to reset.

But i'm sure nothing will be damaged.

Stress test the whole thing for 6 hours non stop, if it passed, it should be good.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Edit: I completely misread the post. If you reset the BIOS and it's fine then the previous owner just had the fan curve set too aggressive. If you did a reset then there's no way there's an overclock still present and it still works so you're fine no damage done.

6 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Since you don't have a 4790k, the motherboard shouldn't have done anything to actually OC your CPU, profile or not. I would try updating your BIOS, potentially reseating the CPU and/or thermal paste reapplication. If the fans keep having issues, look into setting custom fan curves in the BIOS or in Speedfan. You could also try your old mobo again just to make sure...

As for the stuttering in games, it could be related to your display and/or its cable; it could also be related to what DX version you are running the game in. One of my friends was having display drivers crash and recover, but the game would crash. He eventually swapped every single component (except monitor) and still got the crash. He swapped monitor and one game stopped crashing, then he changed from DX11 to DX10 and fixed another; but he's still having issues with a couple other games.

The issue was solved by setting the BIOS to Optimized defaults. So it wouldn't push some sort of strange voltage on the CPU or force anything on it?

The stuttering has been driver me crazy for over a year. I have done everything and this is the last component to be changed. I did try different cables too and monitor but they are the same.

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If it worked, it will be just fine. Yeah maybe the previous owner overclock it and forgot to reset.

But i'm sure nothing will be damaged.

Stress test the whole thing for 6 hours non stop, if it passed, it should be good.

So no weird voltages or otherwise would have been pushed on my CPU? How can I tell if there is damage and what program fro stress testing do you recommend?

7 minutes ago, bomblord said:

Just to be sure you didn't plug in your fans with Molex cables or adapters did you? I know the chance of you having that in your system is next to none but if you did do Molex cables they don't have the ability to control fan speed and purely provide power which makes the fans run at 100% 100% of the time.

Also check the fan-curve in your BIOS it may be set to super aggressive.

No molex. Also it wasn't straight away it took 5 or so minutes and then slowly started ramping to max speed. Is it possible that it was trying to OC my CPu or is that not possible. I have heard of Non-oc CPu's getting fried from been trying to be overclocked..

2 minutes ago, benjiven said:

So no weird voltages or otherwise would have been pushed on my CPU? How can I tell if there is damage and what program fro stress testing do you recommend?

If you want to stress test run Prime95 for a while

CPU is very durable, it won't break even if you oc it to the max, as long as it's properly cooled, it should be ok.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

CPU is very durable, it won't break even if you oc it to the max, as long as it's properly cooled, it should be ok.

This is not a K version, it is non overclockable

You can still overclock the non K one, by changing the base clock, not the multiplier if the bios allowed.