Which cpu for 2 gamers 1 cpu for LTX and lans?

So I have decided that I'm going to drive up to Vancouver for LTX 2019 and my girlfriend decided that she would like to join me. This means that I am going to have to buy her the byoc lan pass so that she can sit next to me during that time. The problem arises at the point where she doesn't want a computer for herself for gaming since she lives in a dorm at her college. Initially I was going to take my current mitx ryzen system and put it in the same case as another computer like in a Phanteks enthoo mini xl ds. This case is pretty big though which would make using it as a lan computer pretty difficult. I then had the thought that I could do something like what Linus did in 2 gamers 1 cpu. My initial plan was to buy a threadripper chip with either 12 or 16 cores and have two 6 or 8 core gaming systems for her and myself during lans. However intel also has hedt processors that are still better for things like gaming but they are so much more expensive for a comparable core count that I don't know if I can justify that cost. Also with ryzen 3 there are supposed to be higher core count cpu's on the am4 platform but I don't know if that will be as good as using a proper hedt platform or if it will be out in time for LTX 2019. So I guess my question is should I get threadripper, wait for ryzen 3, or save up more for intel's hedt platform and why?

(also of note is that all platforms support matx which is the size I plan on using)

18 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I then had the thought that I could do something like what Linus did in 2 gamers 1 cpu. My initial plan was to buy a threadripper chip with either 12 or 16 cores and have two 6 or 8 core gaming systems for her and myself during lans. However intel also has hedt processors that are still better for things like gaming but they are so much more expensive for a comparable core count that I don't know if I can justify that cost.

The cost and effort involved in getting something like this working just for a single LAN event isn't worth it. It would most likely be cheaper and far easier to just buy the GF a completely separate system, use it, and then sell it 2nd hand afterwards.

18 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

So I have decided that I'm going to drive up to Vancouver for LTX 2019 and my girlfriend decided that she would like to join me. This means that I am going to have to buy her the byoc lan pass so that she can sit next to me during that time.

Or just break up with the GF before the event, and then reconcile after... All I'm saying is a box of chocolates and some roses are cheaper than a gaming computer.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The cost and effort involved in getting something like this working just for a single LAN event isn't worth it. It would most likely be cheaper and far easier to just buy the GF a completely separate system, use it, and then sell it 2nd hand afterwards.

Or just break up with the GF before the event, and then reconcile after... All I'm saying is a box of chocolates and some roses are cheaper than a gaming computer.

I like where your head is at but every week and sometimes more often my friends and I get together for lans as well and we always end up with someone who doesn't have a computer somehow. Also I just really love making my life harder than it needs to be and virtualization sounds like fun ;)