50% GPU Usage - Low FPS

Sparkkkk

Hello.
After alot a testing and trying different things I thought I would finally seek for some help.
I am not too sure when this problem started occuring (maybe around December 2018?) but my computer while gaming has been running very poorly. I get around 100 FPS or below while in team fights on Overwatch and on R6S I get around 100 FPS, too.

Prior to when these problems started occuring I had fine FPS, hitting my desired 144FPS with no questions asked.

I have reinstalled drivers, reinstalled games, tested on multiple games with MSI Afterburner and even went to the extent of reinstalling Windows OS.

If somebody could point me in the right direction of were to go next and how to fix this frustrating issue, that would be super appriciated. Thanks heaps!

Specs - 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 X
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 16GB
PSU: 1000W
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE X2

Let me know of anything you would like me to send to further investigate and understand the problem, I'll be more than happy to provide anything that will help fix it.

what cooler do you have on the CPU? if it's an AIO then the pump is possibly dead and your CPU is overheating, could also be that your GPU is malfunctioning, check the clocks for that too.

you already did all you could with the software side of things, only thing left is hardware.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

22 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

what cooler do you have on the CPU? if it's an AIO then the pump is possibly dead and your CPU is overheating, could also be that your GPU is malfunctioning, check the clocks for that too.

you already did all you could with the software side of things, only thing left is hardware.

I have the stock fan on the CPU though there is no overheating. I made sure of that when testing with MSI Afterburner.

1 minute ago, Sparkkkk said:

I have the stock fan on the CPU though there is no overheating. I made sure of that when testing with MSI Afterburner.

have you made sure that your CPU clocks are normal?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

5 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

have you made sure that your CPU clocks are normal?

Yep they look fine.

2 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Are you using just 1 monitor to play overwatch? what are you watching on the other monitor while playing? do you max out all your settings (high, ultra, epic...)?

Anyway, Overwatch has been shitting over our hardware since December, I used to have 144 fps constantly while playing at high and 1440p, now I just get 120 fps and everyone points out it's Blizz fault

Yes I am using one monitor to play Overwatch. I have discord on the second one. I play at low settings because I cant even achive 120fps on a good day.. :( I used to be able to no problem.

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

You are fucking getting 120 fps at low settings 1080p?? Okay, that's a problem

Have you tried disabling dual monitors? DDUing Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them?

What do you mean by 'disabing dual monitors'? Like only using one and unplugging the other? And yes, I have used DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstalling them.

8 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Yes, instead of Extend monitors, setting it to Show only in 1

Just to see if the dual monitor has something to do, I used to get really bad fps when plugging both my 27 and my 24 inches monitors at the same time but watching YT on the second one

It does seem to make just a slight difference. What is very weird is that I have had this setup for a little while now and everything has been running fine up until now.

I would check GPU temps. Maybe the fan over the vcore is out. Also, if you're tech savvy, you may want to try applying better thermal paste. If that doesn't work, you may try reflashing the GPU bios if ASUS makes them available to the public.

20 hours ago, TechSwagPimp1337 said:

I would check GPU temps. Maybe the fan over the vcore is out. Also, if you're tech savvy, you may want to try applying better thermal paste. If that doesn't work, you may try reflashing the GPU bios if ASUS makes them available to the public.

All temperatures are fine. Including the CPU's temps.

Reseated your RAM?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

10 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Reseated your RAM?

No I have not. My RAM usage is usally very low when on games. Will this somehow still effect the GPU usage, though?

No I have not. My RAM usage is usally very low when on games. Will this somehow still effect the GPU usage, though?

RAM can affect Gaming greatly when compromised...

Computers having problems can be a factor of millions (literally) random things, and you've tried the mostly known,..
I'd reseat the memory before sending it into a store.

It's like anything,..remove it from the "to do" queue in troubleshooting lists.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Computers having problems can be a factor of millions (literally) random things, and you've tried the mostly known,..

Alrighty I'll give it a try soon. Thanks!!

13 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Doesn't seem to have changed anything unfortunately. :(

have you tried running the games in window or window borderless? I've had strange FPS in the past when in full screen

3 minutes ago, FrostyViking91 said:

have you tried running the games in window or window borderless? I've had strange FPS in the past when in full screen

Yea I have ran games in borerless, windowed and fullscreen. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the peformance.

I know a 4690K  delidded and heavily overclocked will bottleneck a GTX 1070 for a fact. Im willing to bet the 4790k will also bottleneck it as the games (most) won't use the extra 4 hyper-threaded cores. Look at your CPU usage while playing games with the low FPS, are your 4 cores pinned at 100%?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Yea I have ran games in borerless, windowed and fullscreen. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the peformance.

I saw someone recommend disabling your second monitor, did you try unplugging it entirely, restarting pc and trying a game with only your main monitor connected? also check your advanced display settings and verify that your monitor is set to 144 hz in there and of course, disable V sync in Games

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I know a 4690K  delidded and heavily overclocked will bottleneck a GTX 1070 for a fact. Im willing to bet the 4790k will also bottleneck it as the games won't use the extra 4 hyper-threaded cores. Look at your CPU usage while playing games with the low FPS, are your 4 cores pinned at 100%?

Just quickly jumped onto Overwatch and tested with MSI Afterburner. Here were the results.

GPU - 61°C - 59% Usage

CPU - 66°C - 77% Usage

CPU2 - 66°C - 45% Usage

CPU3 - 66°C - 48% Usage

CPU4 - 65°C - 53% Usage

CPU5 - 64°C - 77% Usage

CPU6 - 64°C - 53% Usage

CPU7  - 64°C - 63% Usage

CPU8 - 66°C - 61% Usage

RAM - 7051MB

Low Settings 

8 minutes ago, FrostyViking91 said:

I saw someone recommend disabling your second monitor, did you try unplugging it entirely, restarting pc and trying a game with only your main monitor connected? also check your advanced display settings and verify that your monitor is set to 144 hz in there and of course, disable V sync in Games

I have tried this. Didn't seem to display any better results.

6 minutes ago, Sparkkkk said:

I have tried this. Didn't seem to display any better results.

are you OC the CPU? here's a guy with a similar problem https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gtx-1070-gpu-usage-at-30-40-low-fps.2922674/

edit: here's another possible issue https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17614773873

Edited by FrostyViking91

Just quickly jumped onto Overwatch and tested with MSI Afterburner. Here were the results.

GPU - 61°C - 59% Usage

CPU - 66°C - 77% Usage

CPU2 - 66°C - 45% Usage

CPU3 - 66°C - 48% Usage

CPU4 - 65°C - 53% Usage

CPU5 - 64°C - 77% Usage

CPU6 - 64°C - 53% Usage

CPU7  - 64°C - 63% Usage

CPU8 - 66°C - 61% Usage

RAM - 7051MB

Low Settings 

And FPS is still low? Any stuttering? From that info at least in over watch there isn't a bottleneck. Have your display drivers recently updated? Try removing display drivers by using an app called DDU, then reinstall not the most recent GPU drivers, but the one right before. If that still doesn't work, then im inclined to say its a hardware issue but im not sure exactly what it could be,

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]