Amazon acquires Eero

ryao

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18220960/amazon-eero-acquisition-announced

I recognized the potential for mesh WiFi ~2 years before Eero was public. At the time, I reasoned that the thing would cut the efficiency of wireless spectrum usage by ~50%, forcing neighbors in high density areas to buy it and create a situation where things everything would be ~2 worse on average by the time everyone had one. I deemed this to be unethical, so I dropped the idea. Had I known that someone would do it and then the company could be sold to Amazon for an absurd amount of money, I would have built the prototype and taken it to a venture capital firm.

On the bright side, I now know how the world works. If you come up with an idea that makes people’s lives better in a way that is simultaneously easier to do yet less effective than the right way of doing things, you can get paid by a venture capital firm to build a company around it that you can then sell ~10 years later for an absurd amount of money to a company such as Amazon.

Sounds like a story I'll tell to my "kids" one day

✨FNIGE✨

now your amazon echo can double as a router too!

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

@ryao Please don't forget to include a quote related to the discussion at hand as per the Tech News Posting requirements. As of such the thread has been moved to general discussion until updated. 

23 hours ago, ryao said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18220960/amazon-eero-acquisition-announced

I recognized the potential for mesh WiFi ~2 years before Eero was public. At the time, I reasoned that the thing would cut the efficiency of wireless spectrum usage by ~50%, forcing neighbors in high density areas to buy it and create a situation where things everything would be ~2 worse on average by the time everyone had one. I deemed this to be unethical, so I dropped the idea. Had I known that someone would do it and then the company could be sold to Amazon for an absurd amount of money, I would have built the prototype and taken it to a venture capital firm.

On the bright side, I now know how the world works. If you come up with an idea that makes people’s lives better in a way that is simultaneously easier to do yet less effective than the right way of doing things, you can get paid by a venture capital firm to build a company around it that you can then sell ~10 years later for an absurd amount of money to a company such as Amazon.

around 8 years ago I randomly had the idea to put Infrared lights behind cinema screens to stop piracy, I thought it was a pretty cool idea well at least I did till I searched it and found out that some Chinese cinemas had started to experiment with the idea around 6 months prior :(

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

i recently read that IR isn't good for the eyes ,_, hopefully implementations elsewhere account for this kind of damage

Don’t look at any IR then 0-0

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i recently read that IR isn't good for the eyes ,_, hopefully implementations elsewhere account for this kind of damage

really, I mean our eyes have IR filters I think they would be talking about powerful IR sources like the kind you would get from a laser not the low light you would get from an IR LED

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass