Do mouse pads make a difference?

UnAdmin

Other than being "as soft or supple as the skin of ten thousand fan girls," what are some benefits to having gaming mouse pads? Right now I just have one that has a NASA logo on it.

It protects the bottom of the mouse, has more traction than a slick desk which helps with precision and is smoother than the average cheapo mousepad.

But really, any decent surface will do. My biggest reason to use a decent mousepad is for my own comfort and to make the pads at the base of my mouse last longer.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You gey the surface you prefer where ever you put it down and its the same surface consistently.

Just smoother than a desk.  That being said, I see no point in spending >$20 on a mouse pad.  My friend has one of the Gaming ones that's like $37 and it felt horrible

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I have not used a mouse pad in about 10 years i just use my desk. On some desks that are glass or wood there can be problems with the mouse not working or jumping as a result of the wood grain and for cases like that a mouse pad is needed. Although i have used printer paper for a few months at one point you do need to change the paper out a lot lol.

Other than being "as soft or supple as the skin of ten thousand fan girls," what are some benefits to having gaming mouse pads? Right now I just have one that has a NASA logo on it.

Yes they do. There are many different types and sizes for different styles if mouse users. Tracking is also a big deal as a mouse surface will greatly help a mouse keep a stable read and smoother movement.

I got myself a Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Medium and it was definitely an improvement from a CyberSmart one that I got in like yr9 lol, feels like sandpaper after using the Goliathus. Also the Goliathus has a lot more grip to the surface it's on, and lasts a lot longer because of the stitching on the sides.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Just smoother than a desk.  That being said, I see no point in spending >$20 on a mouse pad.  My friend has one of the Gaming ones that's like $37 and it felt horrible

What if yo uprefer something rougher than your desk? Just because you didnt like the one your friends had doesnt make it not worth the money.

Well my mum who has worked in an office for the past 20 years has not used a mousepad and when she used my G400s with my razer goliathus, she was stunned and bought a razer goliathus for herself. Also, I use a black glass table and my G400s will not detect it at all, its about 6mm thick. So I have to use a mouse pad.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

You can get different feeling mousepads. SOme have greater resistance on the mouse which is what I like and others have a really smooth mouse pad so the mouse glides across the mouse pad faster. There are other different characteristics but I am not sure how many there are. Just try some out.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

You can get different feeling mousepads. SOme have greater resistance on the mouse which is what I like and others have a really smooth mouse pad so the mouse glides across the mouse pad faster. There are other different characteristics but I am not sure how many there are. Just try some out.

yes I prefer a hard pad. Metal usually for weight and solidarity but those usually arnt that slick but smooth and I usually prefer slick so its touch for me to find that exact right mousepad.

yes I prefer a hard pad. Metal usually for weight and solidarity but those usually arnt that slick but smooth and I usually prefer slick so its touch for me to find that exact right mousepad.

I found a smaller mouse pad for cheap and then I just bough the extended version. The razer Goliathus. So when one side wears down I just swap over. Eventually though i will need to find a new mouse pad but that will be in a good few years know. Plu sit was really cheap.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I found a smaller mouse pad for cheap and then I just bough the extended version. The razer Goliathus. So when one side wears down I just swap over. Eventually though i will need to find a new mouse pad but that will be in a good few years know. Plu sit was really cheap.

this is my current favorite http://goo.gl/49DNjf

this is my current favorite http://goo.gl/49DNjf

Looks nice. I thought of an idea where I could make my own mouse pad using some wet suit material and a sewing machine to stitch the edges.  

(\__/)

(='.'=)

They're usually way bigger and thicker than the average mousepad, and offer better glide and comfort. 

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Ye it does make a difference.

Better tracking,feels way smoother and more comfortable.

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x