My Switch to Windows Phone 8

mgsstar

I recently won a HTC 8S from Linus so I decided to test whether or not it was better than my Xperia X10 that I am using. The X10 I am using is using Feralab Jellybean V2 which makes the device alot smoother and better than the stock 2.3.3 rom.

The things that I liked about the HTC 8S:

• The interface was very smooth and how slim the phone is compared to my X10
  • This phone also has more ram and storage unlike my X10 which only has 384mb of ram and 1gb of storage. The HTC 8S has 512mb of ram and 4gb of internal storage.
  • This is a dual core 1GHz unlike the X10 which is only single core
  • Has a longer battery life than my X10 because the 8S is 1700mAh while the X10 is 1500mAh.
  • Have not experienced any crashes or lag issues on the 8S unlike the stock firmware on the X10 which was very laggy and the custom firmware on it was always crashing probably due to using Jellybean on a unsupported device
  • Convenient search button to search for stuff on the internet
  • Beats Audio :)
  • Love Metrotube :) Video seems to be clearer in Metrotube than the mobile youtube website
  • Speakers on the 8S were way louder and better than my X10
  • apps and games run smoother on the HTC 8S
  • Rubber like surface on the back which keeps it from slipping unlike the X10 which is plastic
  • The GPS lockon is way faster than the X10 and you can find locations offline after you have downloaded the offline map unlike Google Maps on Android which requires internet to find locations

The things that I disliked about the HTC 8S:

• Selection of apps were limited
  • Took me a while to get my contacts onto the Windows Phone
    • Solution for syncing names but no phone numbers in gmail: Sent all the contacts to Gmail, Exported to csv format, Delete notes column in the csv, imported to a outlook account, exported it, and moved all the numbers that were in the Primary Phone to Mobile Phone in CSV and deleting all the middle names and writing them to the last name. Deleted all the contacts in Gmail, imported the modified csv, and it worked after syncing it.

[*]Youtube app on the Store was just a link to the mobile version :( (Used Metrotube as an alternative which was way better)

[*]No file explorer :( (correct me if this is wrong)

[*]No notification LED

[*]Only 5MP unlike the X10 which is 8MP.

[*]I liked phones to boot into a charging screen rather than charging while the phone is booted. (seems to me that its better that way...)

[*]Automatic brightness transition was rather harsh unlike Android in general which slowly brightens up.

[*]Settings seems to be everywhere and can be sometimes confusing.

In conclusion, the 8S is better than the X10 in my opinion even though there is a lack of apps on the Windows Phone. I didn`t really experience screen distort like Linus mentioned on his review on his 8S but I tested it and it does distort very easily unlike the X10 which requires some force on it to distort it. Even though there are some features which are lacking from Android, I will switch to my HTC 8S because of how smooth the interface is and how the audio is better than the X10. How is your experience with Windows Phone 8?

EDIT: This is my first review that I have ever done so feedback is appreciated. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Wow you won a phone from linus. When was that? Great review anyways :D Thats certainly a huge leap from an x10 to a 8s, though I still believe higher end android phones are better due to the GAMES.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Wow you won a phone from linus. When was that? Great review anyways :D Thats certainly a huge leap from an x10 to a 8s, though I still believe higher end android phones are better due to the GAMES.
Thanks for the feedback! :) Yea I would agree with you that higher end android phones are better because of their wider app selection and their games.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

• 2 months later...

I got a Windows Phone 8x, way better than the Windows Phone 8s. As for the file browser from my look around the interwebs Windows Phones don't have access to files from the user. Although for me the settings were all perfectly placed. The only app I wish that was on WP8 is Kainy.

Back from the dead....

Looks like im sticking with Android. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife