im being given private access to a recycling center with promise of good deals

what do i need to look for while im there lol ? 

i was told its like walking into heaven or paradise for ppl like us. 

im imagining it like that episode in scrapyard wars 7 with linus or something

4 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

any core i powered systems, or X58 xeons and motherboards. Also, non-server DDR3

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, MicroDotz said:

i was told its like walking into heaven or paradise for ppl like us

Eh, I don't think there's much to be found in such places for just regular PC-people; people like me, who also fiddle with lower-level electronics would probably find a lot of good stuff there. One thing, though, that I can think of that you should keep an eye out for is any really old computer-stuff that you could flip to someone who likes retro-stuff and can repair it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Eh, I don't think there's much to be found in such places for just regular PC-people; people like me, who also fiddle with lower-level electronics would probably find a lot of good stuff there. One thing, though, that I can think of that you should keep an eye out for is any really old computer-stuff that you could flip to someone who likes retro-stuff and can repair it.

interesting, do u mean like something optimized to run win 95?

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

any core i powered systems, or X58 xeons and motherboards. Also, non-server DDR3

i will be looking at core i7s to upgrade a crappy system and some fans, imay pick up 2 8gb ddr3 if its under60$ as i hav found seperate offer for tht right now. 

2 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

interesting, do u mean like something optimized to run win 95?

Nah, I meant more like stuff from the 80's and earlier. Even broken stuff could net some profit, because there are a lot of people who like repairing and refreshing such items.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

1. Modern-ish CPUs (i5, i7 and Xeon especially)

2. LGA 115X, LGA 1366, LGA 2011, AM3+, FM2+ or AM4 motherboards. Keep in mind most mobos there will be dead, so if you're paying by the lb, you're picking up a lot of dead weight. Do a thorough visual inspection for blown/missing caps, scratches through a trace, bent pins, etc., anything that might render the board inoperable.

3. PSUs by Delta or Lite-On

4. DDR3 RAM of any size, DDR2 sticks of 2GB or 4GB (4GB DIMMs and SODIMMs of the DDR2 persuasion are money)

5. Look through GPUs for anything GTX 400/HD 6000 series or newer

6. If they have complete systems, look for anything with an i5 or better, especially business-class machines like Optiplexes, ProDesks, ThinkCentres, etc. as those resell quickly and for good money--if they work.

Remember that you're going to a junkyard, which means you're going to find a lot of junk and probably not a lot of stuff from the above list worth taking. If you see something that looks cool, like a motherboard with copper VRM heatsinks that just happens to be LGA 775, grab it anyway. People on eBay will still buy broken motherboards if they look cool or are somehow unique.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 hours ago, MicroDotz said:

Case in point on grabbing unusual stuff, I stopped in Goodwill today and saw a motherboard with copper heatsinks on the VRM and chipset for $2. Saw that it was Socket 941 (AM3) so I figured what the hey. Got it home and discovered a Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition under the CPU cooler. Hooked it up on a testbench, and not only does the whole thing work flawlessly, but I can sell the combo on eBay for close to $100. If it looks like a high-end motherboard of LGA775/AM2 lineage or newer, grab it unless it's trashed. Hell, even some Socket 478 and Socket 939 boards still carry value if they work. There's actually a healthy market for high-end equipment from the late '90s and early '00s.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.